New old video card needed

DEATHMASTER

The Freeman
Reaction score
So I got my bro Counter Strike Source during the recent sales. Directly after which they upgraded the game which caused quite the number of problems. But the latest update decided to no longer allow DX7 and that's the card that his old computer uses. So now I need a DX 8.1+ card with SSE support (w/e that is) that will run the game. I see a great many on newegg but even from the reviews I'm not sure which would cut it.

The CSS new minimum requirements:
Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

The old computer is: Pentium 4 2.0 ghz, 768mb DDR1, 300W PSU (12V - 14amps).

EDIT: Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245

I should probably mention there's only PCI ports (non-express).

Ouch. You're pretty limited in that aspect...

Is there a big difference between that and what I posted?

The 2007+ Source versions run like shit on single core CPUs, my old Pentium 4 3.4GHz and Radeon 3650 runs TF2 at 5-25FPS(on minimum settings), I'm afraid for your bro CSS will run similar to that.(because of the engine upgrade recently)

The minimum requirements are a lie.

I was afraid of something like that. I'll just tell him to hold off another year. At which point I'll get a new PC and give him my current one.

Back