need help

M

mafiostone

i cant figure out why i always get booted from the game back to my desktop in the beginning of the game once i go through the portal in that detention room. once the portal opens and i look at it, it gets really laggy and once i go through it i get booted completely off the game.im pretty sure that my computer has more than the minimum requirements that the game says it needs so im not sure what the problem is. does anyone have any ideas? oh and also i downloaded the game from steam if that helps anyone

He means what are the specifications of your computer e.g. what processor,graphics card you got how much ram. If you don't know how to find out then click on start then run and type dxdiag and give us the info from there.

^^ What he means is:

Hello good sir!

When explaining some form of computer problem, it is almost always necessary to include the Specifications of the computer on which this occurs.

Could you tell us what components your computer has? Graphics card, Processor, Operating System etc

EDIT: It took me 4 minutes to type that?!

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DV051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1014MB RAM
Page File: 566MB used, 1875MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

sigh.gif

where do i find the graphics card info?

The way I check is to right click on "my computer" and go to "properties". From there click on the "hardware" tab, and there should be a button that says "device manager". Click it and another window should pop up. Expand the topic "Display Drivers" to check what graphics card you have :)

i guess the graphics card is the highlighted one in the pic below
grafx.jpg

If that is an integrated card, it may not have the juice to run the game...have you tried lowering the graphical settings in Portal and trying again?

yea i just did and it still boots me off and i noticed that the game actual recommends ATI Redeon graphics for best experience so i guess thats what im gonna get tomorrow morning depending on how much it costs

Yeah, though Valves games are built to take advantage of less powerful rigs, make sure you know your new graphics card will be able to run it. Oh, and I use nVIDIA, so I would doubt it makes a huge difference on which brand you get.

yea i just did but its still booting me out. i guess im going to just have to buy a better video card than maybe an ATI Radeon like the games suggests

Back