Need suggestions about college

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Ok... So here's the deal.. I've tried going to 3 different colleges. Each time, I give up about halfway through the semester as the work ends up piling on and I don't do it.

Anyway, I've come to realize that I'm never going to accomplish anything if I can't finish college. I have about 15-16 credits to my name (have no idea if that's correct). I realize I would need to finish about 3.5 more years of school which I will try my hardest to condense into 2.5 or less.

What the hell do I do? I tried online school twice and I tried going to an actual university. The dilemma I'm currently having is... what do I even go to school for? As in, what should I study? I want to do something with computers and possibly something with business. I'm not a huge fan of programming. I do like interacting with people though so a degree in public relations or something would be cool, too.

I just found out a uni near me offers an associate's degree in Computer Info Systems. I'm not too sure what that even entails though. Can anyone tell me in layman's terms what CIS is and what that would prepare me for?

That's all I really have at the moment. I'll answer/respond to whatever you got. :geek:

I've come to realize that I'm never going to accomplish anything if I can't finish college.

Maybe this is just how it is wherever you live, but this seems like a ridiculous thing to say.[/quote]

Maybe this is just how it is wherever you live, but this seems like a ridiculous thing to say.

The reasoning behind that logic is the fact that around here, there are only minimum wage jobs and a few companies that want/need you to have a degree. I know I can easily move and find a suitable job without a degree, but the fact is I feel like college is essential (for me, not every human) to actually get me to where I need to go (wherever that is).

Honestly, you're asking the questions in the wrong order. Figure out where you need to go in life to be happy with it, then figure out what you need to go to school for in order to accomplish that, then figure out what school to actually go to.

It's similar here. I've missed out on a few IT jobs because the employer wants to see that I've been on a basic computing/Windows course. I guess I just boycott that whole idea. I'm not going to spend money on a course or take a loan out just to get a sheet of paper that says I can do something. I appreciate employers need some form of evidence that I have the knowledge, but it frustrates me all the same.

I found what I wanted to study while going to school.

Easiest way is the following.

Spend half of your time doing just general education that is required for all majors. Think about what you want to do during that time.

I found what I wanted to study while going to school.

Easiest way is the following.

Spend half of your time doing just general education that is required for all majors. Think about what you want to do during that time.
That's good advice no one told me about in the beginning. I think the problem with my first 2 times going to school was the fact that I wasn't in it for the right reasons. I hated doing the general education stuff which ended up making me skip those classes. The last time I went to uni, I did all of those and actually had an interest and learned from the professors. It was a great time (finally).

It's similar here. I've missed out on a few IT jobs because the employer wants to see that I've been on a basic computing/Windows course. I guess I just boycott that whole idea. I'm not going to spend money on a course or take a loan out just to get a sheet of paper that says I can do something. I appreciate employers need some form of evidence that I have the knowledge, but it frustrates me all the same.
I completely agree about that. It's dumb that you need to have a simple piece of paper that says, "HEY I KNOW THIS STUFF." I guess it all comes down to the fact that you can't trust a person anymore. I realize I'm not that well versed in things, and I probably wouldn't be an ideal candidate. The thing is companies should still attempt to train you. :/

Honestly, you're asking the questions in the wrong order. Figure out where you need to go in life to be happy with it, then figure out what you need to go to school for in order to accomplish that, then figure out what school to actually go to.

You're right. I know that, but it's hard for me to understand what will make me happy. I know for a fact a shift job at a convenience store or clothing store (did both) wouldn't make me happy. I like getting involved with the people that worked there, but I just wasn't a fan of the job itself.

Then make the thread.
:poop:

I had similar issues with going through school. When to a University and just didn't go to classes because I wasn't invested in the experience. Tried Community college and stopped going to classes for the same reason. It wasn't until I'd decided I wanted to go to school for audio and found a very specialized program for that, did I feel committed and interested enough to stay with it.

It sounds like you know the general field you like, but not the exact job. So, I'd look into schools that cater to or have strong departments in that field. Then it's good if you can take general classes, but that general math credit is not going to help you decide what career path to take. You'll want as much hands on experiences as you can. Purely intellectual classes won't help you decide anything despite how useful they can be.

Finally meet people, arguably the most expensive schools are more about networking than the actual classes. That's how people get their resumes in the right hands, and a foot in the door. So, when you do find a school in the right field join up to clubs and join up anywhere you can to meet the right people.

As for that piece of paper saying you have Windows Knowledge, part of that is standardized knowledge. If you have two candidates one with a certificate and the other without, all things being equal you know what to expect from the person with certs. Why sit down and ask someone 20 questions on what they are or are not proficient in, when they can have a few courses to indicate that. It's hardly ideal but considering how fast IT progresses it's one of the few ways to make your degree not totally worthless inside of 2-3 years.

Back