New PC!

PSU wise I agree, Antec are low tier Corsair has won many awards in the last few years I'd go with them.

Cool, so Zalman CPU cooler and swap the PSU for a Corsair. I don't recall power supplies ever being so important back in the day!

Is 4GB of RAM enough?

Ps. Ooh, Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks amazing. The original is still my favourite game of all time. The lack of games like that in recent years one of the reasons I got bored of PC games in the first place. I might have to buy this straight away...

Cool, so Zalman CPU cooler and swap the PSU for a Corsair. I don't recall power supplies ever being so important back in the day!

Is 4GB of RAM enough?

Ps. Ooh, Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks amazing. The original is still my favourite game of all time. The lack of games like that in recent years one of the reasons I got bored of PC games in the first place. I might have to buy this straight away...

For the same price as the Antec one you had, you can get a Corsair one. Corsair have a much better track record for reliabiity.

Think carefully about the cooler, I would be surprised if you could get 4.4ghz with any air cooler. Corsair also do a great watercooler for the i5 / i7 (not a complete watercooling system, just a CPU cooler, very easy to fit).

I use 6gb in my i7 machine. No particular reason, just it's triple channel, so you usually have an odd amount of sticks. Personally, I would have thought 4gb will be adequate but maybe 6 preferred. Another reason I have 6 is because I don't ever turn my PC off now, just use the sleep function in Windows 7, it's great!

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll probably whack up the RAM a bit then.

I've been looking at benchmarks and stuff, it's amazing how quickly new games run at such high resolutions. Especially as it's only a mid-high end spec PC. Not exactly cutting edge, especially on the graphics.

I'm in the UK unfortunately. You guys seem to get everything dirt cheap by comparison.

Think carefully about the cooler, I would be surprised if you could get 4.4ghz with any air cooler. Corsair also do a great watercooler for the i5 / i7 (not a complete watercooling system, just a CPU cooler, very easy to fit).

With the 2500k, you can hit 4.2 on the stock air cooling. With the Coolermaster hyper 212, 4.8 is not unheard of. With water cooling, you could probably break the 5.0 mark.

Yeah I hadn't thought of amazon as a place to get hardware, but doesn't look like a bad shout actually. Hey, I might have to get me some of those 3d glasses aswell...sounds incredible...

Research that tech before you get it, you have to have the right monitor and shit.

Yeah, I've been doing quite a lot of reading actually. I briefly watched some rugby on a 3D TV at a pub (yes, for some reason they had a 3D TV and sets of glasses laying around) and it was incredible. It could only be even better for games.

This is what I'm looking at now:

Asus P8-P67M Pro motherboard
Intel Sandybridge i5 2500K
Asus GeForce 560Ti 1GB
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM
Liteon IHAP122-19 22x Internal DVDRW Black Bare PATA
Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet CPU Cooler
Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK)
ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card
LG W2363D-PF LCD 23 inch Wide 3D Monitor
NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Kit - 3D glasses
Logitech Gaming Mouse G700
Roccat Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset

Comes to just shy of £1100, which is a lot of money but then I am replacing absolutely everything except the case and keyboard.

So I got my PC. Pretty much as above, but with Kingston RAM and I ditched the 3d stuff as apparently it halves the performance and I wasn't willing to shell out on a second graphics card quite at the moment. Upped the PSU to a 750 watt so I can SLI it later.

I have to say I'm absolutely amazed by it. Crysis 2 defaulted to running everything at max in 1920xwhatever it is, looks incredible and runs smoothly as. The clarity on the monitor is unbelievable aswell, I've never seen anything like it. Games really have come on a hell of a long way.

Also, it makes an Xbox 360 look like a silly toy. :)

Back