New rumor says that Valve's E3 "Surprise" is Half-Life 3 (with Source 2 Engine).

T-6000

Reaction score
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250112

According to a "Source", the 'Surprise' is Half-Life 3 running on the Source 2 Engine. This is perhaps the second time an online rumor has surfaced about the Valve Surprise being Half-Life related. Whether *this* source is true or not, I guess we'll have to see.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that this rumor seems a bit too far fetched to be true, but then again I could be wrong. But isn't it a bit too early to reveal not only Half-Life 3 but a new Source Engine? And on top of that, this will easily overshadow Portal 2.

***UPDATE***

Oh hell, I'm so sorry guys. I just read the forum rules saying that only 'official' info goes here, and not speculations or rumors. Could a Mod perhaps move this for me? Again, so sorry.

[ Source: VG247 ] :upstare:

it was already posted.

I just heard a mysterious `woomph` noise - could it be the balls-time continuum imploding? Who the hell is this anonymous source, anyway? I reckon there's a slim chance of Counterstrike 2 - it's too early for any other non- Episode 3 Valve game. Either that or some DLC for something, or Portal 2 news.

Could just be the TF2 Engineer update we are all feverishly waiting for

this will easily overshadow Portal 2.
People keep on saying that but I don't see it that way. You either like the gameplay of one game over the other, in which case you buy one game or the other, or both (although you buy one at a later date if you money is scarce).
But then the Valve fanbase will buy both regardless of financial stability ;)

I really hope this is true, but I agree with IronicBob, it sounds a little far fetched.

You have no idea how much that means to me.
youre welcome:D

But engineer update sounds likely. Or maybe all the cool stuff on the PC TF2 for the 360? That would be dope on a rope.

actually, I'd say it's the other way around with the engineer update; its not ambitious and far-fetched enough to be the surprise, I feel. I mean c'mon, the engineer update will be big alright, but not so big as to hide behind the vale of secrecy, and get all hyped-up about it, and replace the portal 2 conference.

Christ, people are believing anonymous sources now.

I believe bob also.
My dog told me in a séance that Gabe Newell will say that EP3 is released next week lololol.

Source is modular, it gets updated frequently with the necessary technologies Valve need and nothing beyond that. We've heard Gabe have a dig Crytek for the opposite to that.

Based on Source being modular we can assume that yes, Portal 2 will be on an updated Source engine...just like the Orange Box was (Source 2007). This stupid snazzy term of 'Source 2' is more conjecture. Yes the engine will be updated but it will still essentially be Source.

Call it what you like. Source 2010, Portal Source, Saucey Source, Source 2, Source 4 Dead, Episource 2, Gabe Source. Go on...add your own!

But, perhaps they want a whole new version of Source? It IS getting rather dated. It can only be 'modularized' so far.

Not saying it is what they'll announce, since that would be stupid. Just sayin' Source can only be improved so far.

We've seen screenshots of the game. It looks like L4D2 Source with full dynamic shadowing.

Source is modular, it gets updated frequently with the necessary technologies Valve need and nothing beyond that. We've heard Gabe have a dig Crytek for the opposite to that.

Every good piece of software has to be modular, but there comes a time when you have to refactor the whole thing. It's a natural thing with software engineering. Call it Source 2, call it NewSource or whatever, but something new has to be coded sooner or later.

I just want to be pleasantly surprised. That's all i can really hope for.

Call it what you like. Source 2010, Portal Source, Saucey Source, Source 2, Source 4 Dead, Episource 2, Gabe Source. Go on...add your own!
God damn you. Now every time I read or think about the Source engine, I think sauce, and it sounds completely ridiculous.

I'm willing to make a bet with anyone on these forums that the surprise will not be Half-Life related. It's going to be a surprise related to Portal 2.

egon08.jpg

Suppose this Twinkie represents the normal amount of half-life speculation. According to this morning's sample it would be a Twinkie…thirty-five feet long weighing approximately six-hundred pounds.

News based on Anonymous sources can be a hit or miss, based on personal experience. Back before COD Modern Warfare was released, an anonymous source revealed that the COD series would move to Modern times. And that turned out to be right. Also, I remembered shortly before Gears of War 3 was announced it was rumored by an anonymous source that Epic would soon announce it. There was also an anonymous source that said that Treyarch's new COD would take place during the Cold War and Vietnam, which turned out to be mostly right.

But at the moment this rumor seems a bit iffy since it's still too soon to reveal Half-Life 3 and a new source engine (and Hectic Glenn also made a good point in his post about the source engine).

well I hope it is true then .... hey I will be happy if Gabe just comes out and says "yeah we are working or Ep3 or HL3 or whatever connected to hl universe" . We SHALL SEE . rly looking forward to 14 JUNE and E3 .

Gabe has said a good hundred jillion times that the surpise is NOT ep3, but one can still hope.

What could possibly account as a surprise in Portal 2, we know everything there is about it. What, is it coming out on the Wii, 3DS, has it got Natal Support?

Natal Support? Hmmmm.......I think maybe you're onto something there. :D The surprise could be that, or DLC announcement, or Portal 2 merchandise, or....well, something. The only clue that we have was when they told PS3 and 360 journalists that the surprise wouldn't be of any interest to them.

Hmmmmm............think we should go ask Batman?

Natal Support? Hmmmm.......I think maybe you're onto something there. :D The surprise could be that, or DLC announcement, or Portal 2 merchandise, or....well, something. The only clue that we have was when they told PS3 and 360 journalists that the surprise wouldn't be of any interest to them.

Hmmmmm............think we should go ask Batman?

A purchasable Aperture Science DAB radio with iPod Dock. Wait a minute that would actually be great!

Prepare for massive flaming on these forums next week lol. I don't get it though. Valve cancels the portal 2 even for a different portal 2 event? Freeking stupid, they probably did it just to mess with everyone.

Is it confirmed that Valve will be using an updated source engine for portal 2 and not a whole new one?

I blame all those psychologists Valve have hired these past several years

Back