New Site Feature: Log in or Sign up with Facebook / Twitter / Google / Steam

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
login_with.PNG

This is actually, strictly speaking, not a new feature. At least, you have always been able to associate your account or register a new one merely by logging in with Facebook, Twitter or Steam.

A new addition, however, is logging in with Google. And it's now even easier to associate your social accounts with your forum accounts via your user drop down:

login_with_2.PNG

There's no particular benefit to this other than to make it easier to login or sign up. Oh, and the buttons look pretty.

But it's there, and will help you and others login, even if you can't remember your Forum password.

Just to clarify, your login details are not shared with us. We do not see any of your passwords for these services. Nor would we want to. We all know the kinds of stuff Vegeta897 keeps on Facebook...

I wonder does Ghostery prevent me from using this?

I wonder does Ghostery prevent me from using this?
What the hell is Ghostery?

EDIT: I've just looked it up.

Tin foil hat time, or what. Why bother using that crap?

Ghostery may block your use of this PERFECTLY HARMLESS FEATURE. While RAPING US OF THE AD REVENUE WE NEED TO KEEP THIS SERVER RUNNING.

*ahem*

This is all using very popular, public APIs such as Open ID and oAuth 2.0 I forget which ones. Ghostery may block them on the sense that to associate your account we do have to pull certain information such as your name and e-mail address. It varies from service to service, but once again, this stuff is perfectly harmless and isn't published anywhere in your profile or anything.

We don't even get a chance to see the data - unless you are signing up for a brand new account. In which case we do keep your name, e-mail address and in some cases your date of birth and your avatar on that service but this can all be changed and amended during the sign up process.

Oh god I'm not being paranoid about you stealing all my data or anything. I was just curious. I'm probably never going to use the feature anyway.

Oh god I'm not being paranoid about you stealing all my data or anything. I was just curious. I'm probably never going to use the feature anyway.
No, I know. It's just important that people understand that because people do get funny about things like this.

Hah, it would be funny it just got more and more strung out.

(1) New Alert! Chris_D has quoted a post from someone who tagged another person who quoted him after he posted in someone's profile who tagged someone that quoted an image of a person being tagged by someone whose name rhymes with yours.

Hah, it would be funny it just got more and more strung out.

(1) New Alert! Chris_D has quoted a post from someone who tagged another person who quoted him after he posted in someone's profile who tagged someone that quoted an image of a person being tagged by someone whose name rhymes with yours.
I might code that add on...

Back