new system

Ridic

Tank
Reaction score
erm i dont really know why i should bother asking this, but im getting a new pc beginning of september and its gonna be leet, but im insecure, so i wanna know how many people think i will be able to run HL2 on the highest setting, with max fps(i know specific system specs havnt been released, but plz, humor me)

here are my specs

Athlon XP 2400+ $98.00
Abit-Kd7 motherboard $87.50
Crucial Micron 512mb PC2700 RAM $124.00 (for TWO 512 sticks, total ddr ram-1024)
Antec 430W True Power Supply $82.99
Radeon 9800 pro 128 meg $395.00
Western Digital 120 gig special edition $121.00
Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Drive $43.00
Sony DDU1621 DVD-Rom Drive Black $39.00
Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo III 7.1 $46.00
3.5" Floppy Drive $11.00
Vantec's Aeroflow CPU cooler $32.00

Total w/o case- $1079.49

thats just the txt doc for me i didnt feel like getting rid of the prices.

anyhow i think this system will be like "holy shit HL2 best setting 100fps" but what do u guys think?

*cough*movetogamesupportORofftopic*cough

this is pure specualtation as we dont have the game nor is it even finished to tell u a good estamite
But it sounds like u got yourself a good rig and are just braggin and i think uknow just as well as i do that you should run good to excellent.

no, i dont brag, just worried....that the game im looking forward to most better run completely exelent PLLLLLLLLZ. i dont think i have to worry though, im sure it will run great...

Dump the KT400 chipset and get an nForce2. nForce2 is currently the fastest chipset for Athlons. Abit has two nForce2 motherboards if you wanna go, Abit. Your proc is good, but for a few more dollars you could an Athlon XP Barton (512KB L2 Cache). I just got one a month ago and just by upping the mulitpliers I got it to run as a Barton 2800+, if I had faster memory I could easily OC it a 3000+.

if u were so sure then u shouldnt have posted this thread in the General Discussion: "Talk about everything Half-Life 2 Related" or somfin like that.

You can that in the demo the 9800 really was good, but there were alot of points where the card wasnt fast enough and the fps dropped to probably around 25 for a couple secs.

Multiplayer with max detail and crap your probably looking at 75 fps since multiplayer takes alot more juice.(even though valve says they will tone it down on the multiplayer you still gotta think about the mods, they will add 100x more detail and effects)

the 9900pro and the fx6000 will be out by september, i would look into one of those cards instead.

Originally posted by Shockwave
you should get a mobo that supporst 400mhz ram

Yup, nForce2. I think the Asus nForce2's only support it though.

Yep..agreeed
All you should do is wait for a better video card in september and a better processor..

yes the 400ghz is supported by asus's new nforce2 a7n8x-dx reversion 2 that happened to come out at the same time.:eek:
and the 9900pro will have the .13 mircon with 256bit 256mgs and will be priced at around 500 bucks, sounds good but we will just have to see the benchmarks and see how nvidia will do and if they can take back the best gpu title which has been taken away with the beginin or the lame FX series which is actually showing improvment now with the 5900 ultra, i was always a nvidia fan till the good radeon cards came out and the better drivers and also the wierd fx cards had a lil to do with it.:dozey:

Edit: and waiting is the best thing to do since no new grea games are comin out till september it would be pointless to buy anyhing right now, price will be lower and a possible better selection will be there in 4 months, the vid cards arnt going anywhere and their not gonna get more expensive with time.

lol the 9800....its the best card out, and im not paying 5-600 for a 9900 ori which i dont think is coming out by september

btw.. im not buying anything now, ill probly start ordering parts around the beginning of september

Originally posted by KiNG
yes the 400ghz is supported by asus's new nforce2 a7n8x-dx reversion 2 that happened to come out at the same time.:eek:

Actually, the Asus A7N8X revisions' 1.04 and 1.06 now support 400FSB, if you update your Bios to 1004.

i dont much technical talk, but what is so good about 400Mhz ram?

it was just amd givin XP's last breath of life before AMD starts on their new processors and the older AMD processors only ran at 333ghz fsb whic is your main bottle neck for your comp.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
lol the 9800....its the best card out, and im not paying 5-600 for a 9900 ori which i dont think is coming out by september

btw.. im not buying anything now, ill probly start ordering parts around the beginning of september

Correct : ) , but by the time HL2 comes out 9800 will cost less, same goes for processor

Originally posted by KiNG
it was just amd givin XP's last breath of life before AMD starts on their new processors and the older AMD processors only ran at 333ghz fsb whic is your main bottle neck for your comp.

i dont know how much your speed is affected by the amount of MHz someone has FSB, but is 333 bad/low?

its an improvemnt noticed by some. overall its not that big of a deal but it shows that amd is headin the right way.

so if i have say a 2.5 ghz system with 300mhz fsb, it wont be a lot worse than a 2.5 ghz 500 mhz fsb? (just an example)

Originally posted by Shockwave
You can that in the demo the 9800 really was good, but there were alot of points where the card wasnt fast enough and the fps dropped to probably around 25 for a couple secs.

Multiplayer with max detail and crap your probably looking at 75 fps since multiplayer takes alot more juice.(even though valve says they will tone it down on the multiplayer you still gotta think about the mods, they will add 100x more detail and effects)

the 9900pro and the fx6000 will be out by september, i would look into one of those cards instead.

u cant really say this, since an unfinished game would run slower anyways, and all the demos were running at 30fps the whole time. except in that part in the 25 min video...in the prison with the ant lions and the 2 sentry guns, it seemd to either goto a low fps, or crap out..did anyone else see that?

but in any case as long as i have a constant fps 60 or above im happy, since the human eye really cant tell much of a difference between 40 and 100fps

You need to go to the AmdMB Forums There's a bunch of smart peeps there that'll answer all your questions, configure your system and give hardware recommendations.

Okay now, Half Life 2? Yea, it's gonna roxors :cheers:

i'm gonna wait until sept. 29 till i buy a new rig, the rig i'm thinkin bout now costs bout $2,300, gonna be $1,700 in september

thank god i dont need a monitor....that be like 2k

Originally posted by Jager
Dump the KT400 chipset and get an nForce2. nForce2 is currently the fastest chipset for Athlons. Abit has two nForce2 motherboards if you wanna go, Abit. Your proc is good, but for a few more dollars you could an Athlon XP Barton (512KB L2 Cache). I just got one a month ago and just by upping the mulitpliers I got it to run as a Barton 2800+, if I had faster memory I could easily OC it a 3000+.
i have no clue what you just said... but i LIKE IT! :dork:

silly ant lion and your puny un-inteligent brain */me tries to act smart*

the best AMD mobo that i know of is the asus(i think) a7n8x-dx reversion 2(or 1.04 or somfin like that)

and the best Intel mobo that i know of is the asus p4c800 deluxe (i875 chip)

but in a month or 4 who knows...

:dozey:

owww~ i hab a hadach.

Girl: Maybe it's a tumor!

NO~! it's not a tumor~

:rolleyes:

KINDIGARDEN COP!!!

i loved that moive back in the day...lol nice one dov

/me cocks back the hammer of his USP 9mm and lafs:dozey:

Wait till the game coems out, then find out how good it performs on computer and buy a new one if needed. Thats my plan now.

Erm... a few random thoughts after reading this thread.

Frontside buses are still measured (usually) in MHz, not GHz (except the 875 / 865 family of chipsets).

Older AMD processors ran on a 200 / 266 MHz FSB (well, 100 or 133 double-pumped, but let's not split that hair now...). Newer AMD chips run on the 333 MHz FSB. As yet unreleased vapourware from AMD runs on 400 MHz FSB.

One of the convenient (but frustrating) limitations of the AMD K7 is that it is pretty much saturated for bandwidth at synchronous memory speeds, so a 266 MHz FSB chip, like the XP 2400+ he mentions, is only really able to use the the 2.1 GB/s bandwidth available from PC2100 / DDR 266. In short - you may get more out of the memory at slower "speeds" but with better latencies. I am sure most of you know that low latency DDR 333, for example, yields better performance than stock DDR 400 with 333MHz FSB Athlons...

Many boards, including most KT400-based solutions, support DDR3200, but it's not official because there is no JEDEC standard for 400MHz DDR RAM.

There are just so many things wrong in this thread I'm giving myself a headache reading it.

----------------------------------

The system looks fine, but an equivalent P4 system on one of the new, aggressive dual-channel DDR chipsets might be worth a look, too.

whatever, considering iv heard enough stuff about mobos and RAA and the whatnot, im gonna stick with my original specs considering my friend (22) is an intense gamer and has the same mobo but a athlon xp 2200+. His system smoked his friends P4 2.5 Ghz machine but who knows what that fool had inside. im sticking with the abit Kd7 mboard, but thank you all for the opinions, itl give me an idea of what to look for when i upgrade that system in like 2 years.

Back