New TF2 Update

Agreed, ok, yes, i get the idea that people don't like certain weapons, but no one is really going to intentionally use it, and people who accidentally do will do nothing but bitch and moan about it.

It makes no sense with the current way of earning the unlockables, hence this points strongly towards them untying the achievements from the unlockables.

It makes no sense with the current way of earning the unlockables, hence this points strongly towards them untying the achievements from the unlockables.

it makes no sense period.

I hope valve will update the tf2 blog explaining where they're going with this so people can voice their opinion on it before Valve puts too much time and effort into something the community might not like.

Permanently deleting items sounds like a really stupid idea. For what reason would someone what to delete an item? You simply don't use it. I'm now fearful that i might delete one by accident and lose it forever.

same, and I make mistakes too often =/
one question, when they say reset your stats, does it reset the play time as well? I'm going to assume yes..

They're probably going to stick a bunch of warnings about deleting unlockables in and then get over 9000 complaints from people that ignored it on the next day.

I can just see a ton of noobs making the mistake of deleting their items and then complaining to Valve about it

me and a friend were talking about this today. he says that valve has to have a reason or they wouldnt do it, but honestly, there is NO reason and we all know it.

Here's what I think is going to happen.

All new/alternate weapons are automatically unlocked for all players. Achievement progress is now tied to the unlocking of class items such as hats, helmets, belts, etc.

Class items will give bonuses to your weapons. The Medic's helmet might, for example, give a +4% bonus to the Medigun charge rate.

If that medic dies with his Medigun out, it is dropped with an innate +4% charge rate bonus. You can pick it up, equip it with your own Medic, and then use your Medic items to boost its stats further.

To help with balance, same-type stat bonuses won't stack. So if your Medic is wearing Surgical Gloves for a +10% health recharge rate, your Medigun will have both +4% Uber charge rate and +10% health recharge. But if you're wearing the Medic helmet, you won't get +8% charge rate, just +4% from the weapon (or whichever is higher, the weapon's bonus or your class item's bonus).

Meh, I'd rather see them stick to the class updates.

TF2 is turning into a RPG :^O

Sounds good to me. Time to make classes in L4D but as a selectable gameplay mode for those who do not wish that.

If it really is their intention to turn TF2 into an RPG, it does seem pretty interesting. I wouldn't think any different about Valve or TF2, it will always be my favorite game no matter what they do to it

Here's what I think is going to happen.

All new/alternate weapons are automatically unlocked for all players. Achievement progress is now tied to the unlocking of class items such as hats, helmets, belts, etc.

Class items will give bonuses to your weapons. The Medic's helmet might, for example, give a +4% bonus to the Medigun charge rate.

If that medic dies with his Medigun out, it is dropped with an innate +4% charge rate bonus. You can pick it up, equip it with your own Medic, and then use your Medic items to boost its stats further.

To help with balance, same-type stat bonuses won't stack. So if your Medic is wearing Surgical Gloves for a +10% health recharge rate, your Medigun will have both +4% Uber charge rate and +10% health recharge. But if you're wearing the Medic helmet, you won't get +8% charge rate, just +4% from the weapon (or whichever is higher, the weapon's bonus or your class item's bonus).

I don't tf2 to be rpg

Seeing as Valve seem intent in adding content to TF2 I think it'd be a good idea to add a vanilla TF2 gametype for people who want a bit more balance to proceedings. I know for a fact the majority of competitive TF2 players groan every time Valve put on their thinking cap and start changing things. There's a fair few public players who feel the same too. No unlockables, hats, stat boosts, achievements - just TF2. It'd be a nice addition to what is already an excellent game.

Come on, people.

Adding a backpack and some weapon mods makes this game an RPG? Really? You can disapprove of these features, although I'm personally excited to see a small increase in complexity to freshen up my TF2 experience. But those kinds of comments are just being sensational.

Come on, people.

Adding a backpack and some weapon mods makes this game an RPG? Really? You can disapprove of these features, although I'm personally excited to see a small increase in complexity to freshen up my TF2 experience. But those kinds of comments are just being sensational.
This. About two-thirds of the way into one update, before the next, TF2 starts to feel like a solved game. If I'm going to play a game to death, I might as well enjoy some vague form of customisation and complexity while I'm at it.

Think about balance, though. It took them 3 patches just to get the Backburner right, and that was only because of a 50hp health increase.

Imagine what loads of weapons with random modifiers is going to do.

I'm now even more amazed that no one is making a Team Fortress 2: Classic mod. Even the name is obvious!

Think about balance, though. It took them 3 patches just to get the Backburner right, and that was only because of a 50hp health increase.

Imagine what loads of weapons with random modifiers is going to do.
You have to look at how big each change is relative to default values. The Backburner made the Pyro's health go from 175 to 225. That's a 28.5% increase. That's huge. And it's not a crit, it doesn't have a certain probability of occuring. It's constant. And that makes it even bigger, relative to other game modifiers.

Things like damage output, crit rate, and so forth are less sensitive to balance because of their probabilistic nature. You're not guaranteed to get a crit, nor are you guaranteed to hit an enemy with your weapon. So changing their values doesn't change the balance of the game as much as changing a constant, such as health.

Game balance is still an extremely sensitive animal no matter which way you come at it, but there are things that you can change, for the sake of customization/RPG/what-have-you, that don't affect the game quite to the maximum degree. So I wouldn't worry a whole lot. If it does end up unbalancing the game, it won't be horrid like the Backburner, and it will probably be fixed more quickly.

Back