News on Half-Life 2 "Episode one"

J

JAVA

Check this out.

Valve Software reveals that the Aftermath expansion pack will now be the first in a series of episodic content.

Valve Software has revealed to GameSpot that Aftermath, the upcoming expansion pack to the award-winning 2004 shooter Half-Life 2, has been renamed "Half-Life 2: Episode One." When asked whether the name change is indicative of a change in direction for the Half-Life 2 franchise, Valve marketing director Doug Lombardi replied, "episodic." When asked the follow-up question of whether the new name meant that beginning of a regular flow of content, Lombardi replied, "yes."

This change in focus may not be surprising to fans of Valve who are familiar with the company's online delivery service, Steam. The company recently announced that it was partnering with developer Ritual Entertainment to produce SiN Episodes, , a series of episodic games on a regular basis that would be distributed online via the Steam service. GameSpot will have more updates on Half-Life 2: Episode One as they become available.

I have a inside source and he says the following about HL2 episodes:

-the next episode will be called (get this ) "Episode two"

I know, that's pretty heavy stuff but my source is reliable. At this stage he has no idea what the third episode will be called. I can't even begin to guess.

I don't understand why they call it "Half-Life 2: Episode One" and not "Half-Life 2: Aftermath Episode One".

Strange.

I have a inside source and he says the following about HL2 episodes:

-the next episode will be called (get this ) "Episode two"

I know, that's pretty heavy stuff but my source is reliable. At this stage he has no idea what the third episode will be called. I can't even begin to guess.
Really? I have one really deep in the system.
Apparantly the 3rd one will be called
"Episode three"

But no get this it will also be delievered through Steam. Yeah, beer came out of my nose when my Source told me.

Um..this better be BS :(
Naming the episodes things like "Aftermath" is a lot better than "episode 1, 2, 3"...

Idonotbelonghere said:
Um..this better be BS :(
Naming the episodes things like "Aftermath" is a lot better than "episode 1, 2, 3"...

Agreed. Is this forum going to be renamed?

Makes no sense. Surely Half-Life 2 is "Half-Life 2 episode one"? Can you imagine the threads we're going to get from confused n00bs asking at which point the game actually starts... I'd click on "Episode One" right away.

Holy Shit, there's going to be f**king Gungan in there, isn't there.

smart move - so in 5 years you will know in what order to play the expansions (sorry "episodes")

i can see myself: "Crap, was Aftermath Ep7 or Ep3 or Ep1 ..." :dork:

It is going to be even worse if they don't follow a set pattern. I mean, Sin episodes follows an overall story arc but I can't see them following on after Aftermath all the time, their episodes are obviously going to jump from post fall Citadel to the beginning of the Combine occupation...it isn't going to work.

Plus i think this would make the game pretty boring. Waiting years for a new 'unnamed' episode to come out. I prefer seeing big games, not a bunch of episodes. Totally UnValve I thought and very childish

bat_lyubo said:
Totally UnValve I thought and very childish

Childish? Could you elaborate in the slightest, how episodic gaming is childish?

Samon said:
It is going to be even worse if they don't follow a set pattern. I mean, Sin episodes follows an overall story arc but I can't see them following on after Aftermath all the time, their episodes are obviously going to jump from post fall Citadel to the beginning of the Combine occupation...it isn't going to work.

It worked with Star Wars ...

tvharti said:
No, it didn't;)

If they got episodes, they'll probably be more frequent. But they'll also be alot shorter. And at 15$ for one fifth of a game, it's not that fun. They should just make real games instead.

tvharti said:

No, Star wars gave them sub headings, such as Phantom menance, rather than just "Episode 1" "Episode 2".

I hope they offer like a package deal like "Spend $50 now and get the next 4 episodes!" That would be nice. Its kinda a good thing because now we will get the games faster then if they made one huge game that would take years. I dont like the idea, but I think it has potential to be grand, if Valve handles it right.

Samon said:
No, Star wars gave them sub headings, such as Phantom menance, rather than just "Episode 1" "Episode 2".

what i meant was that Star Wars went from the end of the story to the very beginning of the story - at lease movie-wise. same could happen with HL2.

but then they wouldn't be able to name the episodes 1, 2 ... if they decide to go from the destruction of the citadel back to the beginning of the Combine "reign".

Samon said:
I don't see why it's a given that they'll go back in time at all, other than a notion that "it'd be cool to see that" by the fans. An Expansion - let alone an episode - seems inadequate to represent the period. It needs its own full-blown game or nothing at all.

Snowden said:
I don't understand why they call it "Half-Life 2: Episode One" and not "Half-Life 2: Aftermath Episode One".

Strange.

Because then the other episodes would have to be named "Aftermath" - Not all of the episodes are going to be about the aftermath of the Citadel and other stuff we saw happen in HL2.

Crap! I hate episodes! I'd rather wait years for a really good game then having tons of really quick and crappy follow ups shoved down my throat!

lastHOPE_lambda said:
Crap! I hate episodes! I'd rather wait years for a really good game then having tons of really quick and crappy follow ups shoved down my throat!

Crappy follow ups? How do you know how good they will be? For gods sake people... :|

Firstly , you guys behave like you hear about it the first time..

Secondly , there are games sold in 50$ that are in , more or less , the same length of an expansions. Tha's won't be the case with these episodes.

Half Life 2: Episode 4: A New Hope

Half Life 2: Episode 5: The Combine Strikes Back

Half Life 2: Episode 6: Return of the G-Man

Wow, I really don't like the direction Half-Life is heading in. I'm afraid Aftermath, or... Episode one as it is now called, will be the last Half-Life game I play. Something is telling me that Aftermath will be the only episode released retail.

For the record: THIS IS A SHITTY IDEA. Valve, please stick with what you guys were doing before y'all came up with this.

P.S.- Perhaps Aftermath can be released for Xbox or Xbox 360? If so, you could play the game without getting the DMV treatment by Steam.

episode 1 sounds pretty stupid imo.

if half-life 2 "episode 1" took this long to come out, we probably wouldn't see "episode 2" until like 2009.

i see only one expansion being released for half-life 2 - which is going to be aftermath (i mean episode 1.) nobody wants to this long for a game that's only around 33% of the size of the original either. yay in 2009 episode 2 is finally coming out!

valve is really starting to annoy me. dod source has like 5 official maps, cs source has like 10 official maps and only 4 different player models. when was the last update for hl2dm? when did half-life 2 come out again? 2004? what year is it now?

as much as i love valve they're really starting to piss me off.

Uuurgh, nearly as bad a method of naming as with Final Fantasy X 2

I'm inclined to believe that GameSpot is BSing. Valve aren't stupid, everyone there must realize Aftermath sounds way better. Not to mention that even if they wanted to call the expansion episode x, it should be episode two.

cquinn said:
Half Life 2: Episode 4: A New Hope

Half Life 2: Episode 5: The Combine Strikes Back

Half Life 2: Episode 6: Return of the G-Man

lol
But you forgot:

Half-Life 2: Episode 1: The Freeman Menace

Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Attack of the Metrocops

Half-Life 2: Episode 3: Revenge of the Combine

Geez, I thought I'd seen overexaggeration before, but this is nuts. It's a freaking name, the game will still be just as good as before.

Sounded cool and shitty at the same time, amazing :)

Anyway I just hope some of the other episodes go retail...

bat_lyubo said:
Plus i think this would make the game pretty boring. Waiting years for a new 'unnamed' episode to come out. I prefer seeing big games, not a bunch of episodes. Totally UnValve I thought and very childish

LMFAO childish? Where the **** you get that from?

Back