News regarding City 17 (or not)

FatCombine

Reaction score
From a person in the PHorum:
I was watching one of the many discovery type channels i get on cable, when i heard this "(something with an R no way i can prounuce it) 17's residents are, of course, compensated for it being closed community." Im assumeing the R word means city, villlage or something like that. The point is CITY 17 IS A SOVIET NUCLEAR STOCKPILE.
I actually was watching the same show on tv too!

Not sure if anyone has posted this before me though...

But many times Valve has stated City 17 is a "fictional" city. Therefore, "not real".

Originally posted by $pazmatazz
But many times Valve has stated City 17 is a "fictional" city. Therefore, "not real".

im sure they got inspired by citys like that..

Originally posted by h00dlum
im sure they got inspired by citys like that..

Oh I'm sure they did. I think one of the developers mentioned a City in Europe somewhere that they drew inspiration from.

Originally posted by $pazmatazz
Oh I'm sure they did. I think one of the developers mentioned a City in Europe somewhere that they drew inspiration from.
i think so too

Yes, it is based on an East-european City, but personally I don't believe in "the Soviet connection".

who knows maybe when we play hl2 we will find a secret missle silo with the soviet union logo on it

you guys are going to ruin the games for yourselves. what if that fact was really important to the game and now you know it way beforehand? and also, these are all assumptions you guys are making. so either you're ruining the game for yourselves or you're wasting your time.

From an interview with valve employees it was revealed that city 17 was inspired by concept art based on a romanian city. Can't remember which interview, it might have been the long one with Gabe.

one of the guys was from russia, and he gave the team a push in that direction, said one interview, that i can't qutoe now cause i dunno where it is.

no matter what the inspiration was.. that's purely for artistic reasons.. there is no actual city 17. just like there is no actual striders or gordon freemn.

I beg to differ,
Gordon Freeman was ordained as a rabbi by the Jewish Theological Seminary ...

and then there's the props from 'War of the Worlds'...

Romania? :D
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=14716

Quote:
"HomeLAN - There are any number of directions you could have taken the story of Half-Life 2. Why did you decide to take the story to a fictional Eastern European city?

Gabe Newell - Within the story, there are reasons why you are in City 17. Outside of what is happening in the story, two factors influenced our inclusion of City 17 - the first was that Viktor Antonov grew up in Romania and without really intending to he got a bunch of the artists excited about an art direction that drew heavily on eastern European source material, and the second was that thematically present day eastern Europe exists at a really interesting crossroad between the past and the future which resonates with what goes on in Half-Life 2. "

Do you think what you saw on tv was about Chernobyl? That was the site of a meltdown in a nuclear reactor. That's why it's um, uninhabitable.

there is some strong speculation about city 17 based on st petersburg/ moscow

No, I've been to Moscow and it doesn't look anything like that (and neither does St Petersburg). It is not based on a russian city, it's more like Prague/Amsterdam.

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up, you deserve a cookie! ;)

Its more like eastern germany....

I was there with felix recently..no not germany, city 17 that is.

sightseeingcuty17.jpg

Back