NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

Reaction score
So so so,
*** Hardware Malfuction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

***The system has haulted ***

I'm ****ing tired of it. First, it was like just a couple of times, now it started screwing with me - each god damn time I start my computer!

So, memory error. I ran some memory test programs for an hour or two - nothing.

Cleaned up the memory sticks and unpluged/pluged them back - stoped for a day or two, then started showing up again.

Again some tests - again nothing.

Now I'm thinking it might be some other memory besides the RAM - maybe video?

Am in the need of help!

Have you tried just using one stick?

And be sure you have the RAM settings correct in your BIOS according to the RAM specifications.

I doubt it's video, sorta. You'd probably have corrupt texture colors and artifacts everywhere. I don't know, really, just sayin'.

I didn't get you there, what did you mean by configuring the BIOS for the RAM? I'm on the DELL layout of the BIOS, if that helps for orientation.

EDIT: There's nothing I can tweak in the BIOS related to my RAM, just general info; all shows OK.

There's absolutely no adjustments? So glad I built my own PC.

Did the RAM come with the system? If so, then it's probably the right RAM.

So for now all you can do is run some memory tests and try one or the other stick at a time.

Nope, pitty me.

There were x2 256MB sticks that originally came with the system. Plus the other x2 256MB sticks I added equels a number of 1Gb. They were DDR2 RAM sticks, so it's exactly what my system is built for (DELL Opt GX280 SD).

I guess, but seeing as my OS would not load anymore (I'm curently typing from our second PC), I have no option. But I'm doubting it's the sticks - maybe the mem. slots are faulty?

I'll write back if I get some results.

It's not uncommon for a stick to fail. Obviously, there's always a chance you get a bad stick when you buy it brand new, even.

I like G.Skill (and perhaps others) that offer a lifetime warranty.

Cleaned up the memory sticks and unpluged/pluged them back
But I'm doubting it's the sticks - maybe the mem. slots are faulty?
It's possible, I guess. Did you clean out the slots when you took out the RAM? Make sure you've got the power off and power drained because sometimes those aircans will spray some liquid alcohol (or whatever), though it evaporates very quickly.

Note, this may sound newbish - how should I properly clean the interior? Can I use anything besides aircans?

To be honest, would updating my BIOS solve this? I'm curently having the A03 version - the newest is A07.

It says parity error, could this mean that, for instance, memory in slots 1 and 2 (or 3 and 4) do not match (in type?)? I know that analogical mem. sticks should be installed in pairs.

If nothing helps, it might turn out I had to re-install Windows. This will be a last course of action, though. Atleast I can access Windows again.

Why people always want to skip the air-can step like it's not important or worth spending a few dollars for. It's like when you have a car but you don't want to change the oil.

Another thing, when you are given suggestions and people don't consider them. You are starting to suspect that the memory doesn't match. How would I know if it matches, you assured me it did, and didn't I already suggest removing one stick of RAM at a time regardless. And you still haven't done so, apparently.

You are obviously comfortable with changing the RAM because you said you had done it before. Yet you don't have an air-can - did you wipe it on your shirt or something?

For everything you don't understand, you need to research it. Usually a 3 minute search will clue you in.

Memory parity error. I've never heard of it. Did you look up what a Parity error is?

We're not going to come to your house and fix your computer. Good luck.

Explanation: A parity error was detected within the system memory. Parity checking is used to detect memory corruption between the time that data is written to memory and the time that it is read back. See here for a complete explanation of system memory error detection and correction. This error message means that there is a problem associated with the system memory. Depending on the system, you may be told some specifics about what part of memory caused the error.

Diagnosis: There are many possible causes of memory parity errors, some of them only related indirectly to the memory, or even having nothing to do with the memory at all. In particular, a memory error at start up is often indicative of a wide variety of possible problems.

BTW, here is more technical information and possible causes of the error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101272

All in all, I was just looking for an oppinion. It's nothing like I'm deppending on you solely; I'm looking for a way out of this myself.

For the last post, well, I was more than less typing my thoughts rather than results/questions. You shouldn't be minding it that much unless you really want to.

Concerning air cans, I don't want to bypass it in any way - was just looking for other methods I could have used instead or as a replacement.

And I will make sure I ask less questions next time.. no promisses though.

It's not really you or the fact that your asking questions it's that I help people all the time and they don't ****ing listen. Then they continue to have the problem and wonder why. Troubleshooting goes in a particular order

1# most likely suspect

if there are many suspects you go with the easiest or least costly first

if that doesn't work, they you try more complicated or expensive shit

I can't go to the next phase if you don't try the first steps, and that's frustrating because I want to help you.

EDIT: I invested a lot of time offering help, so, forgive me for being rude when it goes ignored and you want more help.

What? I'm no super hero here to post back that fast, you know. And I don't have time to diagnose computer errors at this time, sorry. If I haven't said it already, I'll do it now - I appreciate your every effort!

Now, on to the subject. Switching slots and adding/removing mem. sticks worked and the causes are two - a fault in my fourth slot or a defective RAM, sorry for not being more specific. First I tried two sticks - all good. Then added another one - again all good. Now I'll have to try out my fourth RAM stick on one of the fault-free slots to see if I have a damaged RAM or not.

Thank you for your assistance and don't think I'm walking away now. I'll report back soon.

EDIT: Damn, wrong again. I thought I'd leave it with this setup for a day or two, as the error doesn't show every time, but it showed up again. OK, so now I've replaced it with the fourth RAM stick on the same slot as the other one and if it gives another error, I'll switch to the other slot and try again.

Well, it sounds like to me that you should just use the one matching set that came with the computer. In other words, remove both additional sticks.

If it works, then you know there is some incompatibility with the extra sticks you added.

Has the RAM you added to the PC ever worked without this error? What RAM did you buy to add to it? I assume you know you can't buy just any DDR2 to upgrade.

It is better to have 2 x 512mb sticks running in parallel rather than 4 x 256mb.

From googling (which you should have done), the error can also be down to OS problems, I would format to see if you can count that out and focus on if it is a RAM hardware issue. Like Virus said try just one stick (1 original stick) in the 1st slot and then the 2nd slot.

Yes, the additional RAM sticks worked for a year or so right up until now. The computer was used when I got it. It had one Samsung 256MB 1Rx16 PC2 3200U 333 stick and one vDATA DDR2 533(4) 256MX4, respectively, on slot 1 and 3 on my board. My additional sticks were two of the same vDATA.

Yeah, I guess it is but the budget doesn't allow me to switch to 2x 512MB right now..

From googling (which you should have done), the error can also be down to OS problems, I would format to see if you can count that out and focus on if it is a RAM hardware issue. Like Virus said try just one stick (1 original stick) in the 1st slot and then the 2nd slot.
I checked, and I'm saving that for a last alternative right now.. it'll take just too much time to reinstall all software back and so on.

Do I always have to stick with one type of manufacturer? Because I am using two kinds of sticks right now.

Honestly, it's best to buy them all in one pack (a matched set). Even when you buy the same RAM from the same manufacturer, they aren't matched 100%.

So, yes.

A newer or more robust BIOS would be able to auto-adjust better, to try and match the sticks.

Also, pre-built computers are often quite simplified and don't offer any controls for setting the RAM, which would make them picky about RAM.

Do I always have to stick with one type of manufacturer? Because I am using two kinds of sticks right now.
No, you don't have to, but that is quite likely your problem in this case. That's why I have been telling you for a week now, to try 1 stick at a time.

You have 4 sticks by 4 different manufacturers or what? I didn't realize you got the computer used and you had no idea if any of the sticks came with the computer.

If you get 1 stick working no problems for days or a week, then you can try another stick. It's really, really simple.

Pulling this thread out of suspence for the sake of ending it.. god, this sounded weird.

So anyway, it turned out nothing of a RAM malfunction - more like a memory read malfunction in my integrated video chip that fried and that made me obtain a video card. That same chip controls my PCI-e slot and when it malfunctions, it takes my video card with it (hence these errors). There's no way to turn that chip off entirely. Besides, doing so will render my PCI slot useless and thus, my machine will become useless.

The way it's going, I'll be getting a new PC. File closed.

Back