No Left 4 Dead Demo Before Release

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Valve have confirmed on OXM that there will be no Left 4 Dead demo before the game release.

In Valve tradition, there will probably be a demo after release. We tend to focus on getting the game out and not pausing the release date of the full product so we can create a demo. It is something you have to schedule and it is another release, so you have to make the choice there between completing the game by a certain date and getting it out to folks who want the full game or trying to create more demand by doing a demo.

Read the full interview here.

A Demo: Something made available for testing by potential buyers.

A Beta: In software development, a beta test is the second phase of software testing in which a sampling of the intended audience tries the product out. Or Beta testing can be considered "pre-release testing."

Two very separate software releases. Valve has released a beta for all it's multi-player games since 2004 starting with Counter-Strike: Source. Valve has only released a demo before launch in 1998 with Half-life and that was the only one. There will be a demo though like a free weekend event after release.

Valve have released several "demos". They released a demo for TF2, Portal and Half-Life 2 so far. They just released them after the release date of the final product.

I'm going to follow this unusual trend.

Valve will release a demo after release.

Two very separate software releases. Valve has released a beta for all it's multi-player games since 2004 starting with Counter-Strike: Source. Valve has only released a demo before launch in 1998 with Half-life and that was the only one. There will be a demo though like a free weekend event after release.
I thought HL's one came after the games release? Also it wasn't even really a traditional demo given the content wasn't actually part of the game. HL:Uplink wasn't it called?

I thought HL's one came after the games release? Also it wasn't even really a traditional demo given the content wasn't actually part of the game. HL:Uplink wasn't it called?
Yeah my bad, even then it was released after the game came out. So Valve has never released a demo before release ever.

Yeah my bad, even then it was released after the game came out. So Valve has never released a demo before release ever.

Then what was the purpose of the posts....? I think everybody knew they weren't going to release a demo prior to the games release. I doubt they made a big blunder with words there, as I'm sure both are common vocabulary in their workplace.

Because people get confused then start crying wolf (looks at left4dead411.com) and start complaining about a deathmatch mode. Deathmatch mode has always been in the game. It's called singleplayer mode or it can be played online. :LOL: I don't get why people are bitching about that neither. You can't expect people to play one mode only. :dozey: People just nit pick everything about this game including how many bullets are in a gun. In fact they are complaining about the pistol having unlimited ammo. :| FFS PEOPLE, LEAVE THE COMPUTER AND STOP COMPLAINING ON THE FORUMS WHY IT ISN'T YOUR GAME AND NOT TRUSTING VALVE! It's almost like the TF2 complainers on the steampowered forums are already starting on L4D, years before release.

It's almost like the TF2 complainers on the steampowered forums are already starting on L4D, years before release.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish by repeatedly speaking badly about communities on different forums. Anyway, I'd argue that those "TF2 complainers" were right for at least some portion of the gaming populace.

Valve have released several "demos". They released a demo for TF2, Portal and Half-Life 2 so far. They just released them after the release date of the final product.

Don't forget the Orange Box demo, which was a level of EP.2 released after the Orange Box was released.

Because people get confused then start crying wolf (looks at left4dead411.com) and start complaining about a deathmatch mode. Deathmatch mode has always been in the game. It's called singleplayer mode or it can be played online. :LOL: I don't get why people are bitching about that neither. You can't expect people to play one mode only. :dozey: People just nit pick everything about this game including how many bullets are in a gun. In fact they are complaining about the pistol having unlimited ammo. :| FFS PEOPLE, LEAVE THE COMPUTER AND STOP COMPLAINING ON THE FORUMS WHY IT ISN'T YOUR GAME AND NOT TRUSTING VALVE! It's almost like the TF2 complainers on the steampowered forums are already starting on L4D, years before release.

Idiots drive me crazy. Quit bitching and just wait for the game ffs. It's not like you're going to die if that tiny thing isn't included, or you over-react and it is actually in there.

There will be a free weekend after release Pitz, jeez.

I don't need a demo, I just want it now, bugs and all kthx.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish by repeatedly speaking badly about communities on different forums. Anyway, I'd argue that those "TF2 complainers" were right for at least some portion of the gaming populace.
Most complain about the game anyways on the site mainly due because most 411'ers are regular posters on steampowered. Besides I can't speak bad when l4d411 disavows an interview for the site itself containing very good information. Talked to Kenny recently? :hmph:

I think the thing you are missing here Hool is that everyone here doesn't bitch about it or care much at all, it seems to be a L4D411 community connected issue. I'm aware you are an active member on their site but you shouldn't act as a representative for their community. It does mystify me when I've had complaints from staff over there about you 'acting on their behalf'. If you wish to make a statement about their community say it over there! HL2.net is not your soapbox!

No. Valve released a demo prior to that. I'm not sure whether it was released before or after Half-Life, but Half-Life: Uplink was released afterwards, similar to Lost Coast.

I think the thing you are missing here Hool is that everyone here doesn't bitch about it or care much at all, it seems to be a L4D411 community connected issue. I'm aware you are an active member on their site but you shouldn't act as a representative for their community. It does mystify me when I've had complaints from staff over there about you 'acting on their behalf'. If you wish to make a statement about their community say it over there! HL2.net is not your soapbox!

Aaah, now I get what he was talking about.

The HL demo was called Day One and was an OEM version released only with certain video cards. It was an extended version of the opening sequence from the tram ride to the resonance cascade.

Has it become so common to release a demo before the official game? I wouldn't have thought so. I don't find this to be so sensational or surprising as all the news posts recently make it look.

Maybe because it's more common for XBox 360 releases.

Back