NO voice??? Is it just me?

S

suby

Hey did anyone else not hear the computer voice throughout the entire game? Did they remove it??? WHAT THE HELL??? I played through the entire game with no voice! Help please... I even restarted steam and started a new game but still no voice. I feel so alone.

There's definitely supposed to be a voice. It's half the damn game. Better email valve or reinstall. Or plug your speakers in.

Hang on, what voice? When? When should it first appear? I'm not too far through the game, but I am yet to hear, well, anything.

it's seems to be a pretty serious bug, my friend had it to, he didn't know there was supposed to be a voice...

damn' it, it's a pretty game ruining bug... have mailed valve

As soon as you 'wake up' upon starting the game you'll see a clock counting down from 60 seconds. By the time it hits 35, a computerised female voice should be audible. If it's not, DO NOT CONTINUE. It's really important. Don't play the game until you get it fixed.

As soon as you 'wake up' upon starting the game you'll see a clock counting down from 60 seconds. By the time it hits 35, a computerised female voice should be audible. If it's not, DO NOT CONTINUE. It's really important. Don't play the game until you get it fixed.

Great. No voice for me, and I'm in chamber 17. :frown: By chamber 10 or so I was wondering why there's no communication from someone or any form of story whatsoever in the game.

Would you suggest to restart the game from the start, assuming I can get the voice online?

EDIT: Aha... I can see messages about failed loading of sound files whenever there should be a voice, apparently.

I absolutely would. In fact, I'd suggest not playing any further until you get it working - and if you can't get it working, playing the whole thing right through in an internet cafe (2 hours won't cost that much).

I enjoyed the gradual progression of the story - there is one, and it's brilliantly told - easily as much as I enjoyed the challenges.

It won't take you long to go through again anyway, as you'll know the solutions.

Yeah, can't say it's very long, took me 2 hours to get to where I am. Will restart after fixing the issue then, thanks. Steam is now decrypting Portal for the 2nd time, hopefully that'll get it working.

I'm glad I checked in here. I'd feel like the biggest idiot ever if I finished portal without hearing any voice and then moved on to complain about the absence of story.

To get the voices working in both HL2EP2 and Portal, you must select the game in steam, select properties and change the language and apply (any language will do) then change it back to your language and apply again, it should say it`s decrypting files and then the voices will work properly.

Worked for me in both Ep2 and Portal.

Indeed, seems to have fixed Portal. It decrypts files again, then, for me, it also downloaded some stuff (presumably the missing voice files) and it's okay.

Fyi How To Fix No Voice

Hey just play with all the audio options... I changed the volumes, changed the language of the voice and change the closed captioning options... then reverted it to what I wanted and it worked!!

I have to play the WHOLE game again now that the voices are working lol!

PS: Im sure the only setting that matters is the language of the voice so change it something else, load up a game, and then start a new game it should work... at least it worked for me.

This really sucks. It makes me feel bad thinking of people playing the whole game with no voice. It will ruin it! Damn...

I played the first couple of levels with no voice... restarted steam and now it's updating Portal so hopefully its the sound files...

Back