Notice how the Doom3 story starts?

dagz

Reaction score
Just like Half-Life's story. Start a experiment then something goes wrong. Wonder why they bit off of hl's story =/. Ityll probably be different and everything but still.

I doubt Half Life was the first time such a plot was used. It’s standard sci-fi fare.

Whats the Doom 3 story? Or a link to it?

lol, are you dense or what? Doom's story is a lot more original and a lot older than Half Life. What you're saying is completely the other way around. It IS Half Life who ripped off from Doom's originality.

Links in the doom3 trailer. Also if you watch the doom3 trailer it says they did a experiment then something goes wrong then suddently i realise thats hl's plot. Now they made this new story line up in doom3. Obviously hl's story is 5 year's old. How old is doom 3's story? So in other words your saying doom3 is a remake of all the past doom's. Figure it out since your saying doom3 ripped off hl's story which hl is nearly 5 year's old.

What matters is how well each game can take a basic premise and evolve a very original plot from it.

bahh is something like the people in the facility trying to develop a gate to hell.... but something get wrong... yaada yaada blah blah

This was the plot of Doom and Quake: DOOM3 is supposedly a revisit of Doom. So it's not a ripoff. While HL has a similar story, it has a very different feel given that you aren't a marine: you're just a scientist, and the science that has "gone wrong" continues to pay a major part in the story by merging the two worlds.

Never looked into the doom games. Never was interested about them. I seriously hated part 1 and 2 a while back. Played the alpha of doom3 and i didnt like that too much either. Hl2 will probably be a lot better in my eyes.

The alpha that you weren't supposed to have had no means for regular play. How the hell can you judge the game by something that is not even half done? After all Doom(1/2) has always been and will always be better than Half Life(1) in my book.

doom is 1 of a kind. even if the game will be sux it will still sell at least 4 milion copies.....

doom was very novel: That's why it was so cool. But only by HL did I get a sense of a real game in a real world, with a real ongoing progression of events.

Right, with a few more tricks with an advanced engine inherited from Q2's engine, but that is about it. Half Life wasn't entirely realistic...

Well considering Half-life probably sold more copys than doom 1/2 and its still the most played game (with its mods) currently still out and it still sells after 4 1/2 years. I never liked any of id softwares products. I can judge on a half a game (i wasnt judging of how it ran on my system). I was judging of how it felt like to be in doom3 which i did not like. Doom3 got it on the graphics but Hl2 got it on the gameplay which is more important in my eyes. So tell me Norlan. Besides graphics what will be better about Doom3 than Hl2?

The whole something-gone-wrong theme are in lots of games, so you cant really blame Valve about stealing an idea.

half life sold more copies than doom did retail, but more people played doom. It invented shareware and pay by internet.

Originally posted by dagz
Well considering Half-life probably sold more copys than doom 1/2 and its still the most played game (with its mods) currently still out and it still sells after 4 1/2 years. I never liked any of id softwares products. I can judge on a half a game (i wasnt judging of how it ran on my system). I was judging of how it felt like to be in doom3 which i did not like. Doom3 got it on the graphics but Hl2 got it on the gameplay which is more important in my eyes. So tell me Norlan. Besides graphics what will be better about Doom3 than Hl2?

How do you know HL2's gameplay will be better than doom3's? You're judging from an early alpha that was never ment to represent the final product and a couple of recently released videos.

I think HL2 will be the better game as well, but the truth is there's no way to tell until I've played both games.

People sawof how the game plays at E3. Videos etc. Valve been working on Hl2 for nearly 5 years so im almost guarenteed there gameplay will be superb. Thats why im looking more forward to hl2 than doom3. As for doom3 i wont buy it the first day it comes out since i aint that interested in it. Hl2 on the other hand ill be in like for the game the morning it comes out. Also im judging on id softwares work of there past games. Yeah they made good games like RTCW but they never lasted me as long as HL did.

Based on what source you can convince me that Half Life sold more copies than Doom? Plus consider Doom was made when internet began to put in use, young gamers didn't know about Doom much, well I'm 16 and I just started playing Doom about 3 years ago and I'm still addicted to it. Half Life was cool to play for the first or second time. But it gets boring afterwards...other SP mods aren't quite good either because the villains suck imho.

Few out of a million. My best bet is get into hl more. You dont know what your missing.

That's just your guess. The monsters suck in HL1 and I know it so.

DOOM3 IS A REMAKE OF DOOM1...IT IS THE SAME EXACT GAME WITH NEW GRAPHICS!..

Very mature of you to put on caps when you don't even know what you're talking about

Originally posted by Shockwave

If thats the truth then i guess i wont be looking forward to it. So all id software has to do is model/map/engine/sounds etc and there done.

Your people need to learn to read the source before making comments...

Originally posted by Shockwave

Even if thats true, it could still prove to be quite a hit though.

MGS : Twin Snakes is a remake of the original MGS on gamecube with the MGS2/3 Engine. It's a dream come true for me (and most other people), since the gameplay rocked in MGS2, but the story was a slight let-down.

Originally posted by Norlan
Your people need to learn to read the source before making comments...

Why read if im not interested in the game? All i did was watch the trailer basically and i think in my eyes the game wont be as good as hl2.

1. You are ditching the game based on absolutely no evidence.

2. What you see in the trailers doesn't mean everything.

1. You are ditching the game based on absolutely no evidence.

2. What you see in the trailers doesn't mean everything.

Who said i never played doom 1/2? You talking about doom3 im guessing right? So how can you judge if you hardly played the game. The game can seriously suck as far as you know since the game isnt complete yet. What im judging is doom 1/2 which i did play a while back and iN my eyes i do NOT like the game. They just dont last me. I probably beat it if i can remember and i stopped playing. Wasnt interested in them anymore. Hl on the other hand of when i beat it i was interested then got into the mods of it (which makes hl the best part, the mods). I still play HLDM and the singleplayer once in a while as well.

Fair enough, I have yet said anything about judging Doom 3. Personally I'm still very addicted to vanilla Doom and still playing SP and DM. Doom has new mods and maps too every week, so I can never get enough of it. I just hope some people would stop whining about how much Doom 3 sucks since they haven't even played the damn game yet and obviously they have no clues of what they are talking about.

iD is still one of the top game companies in the world and most respected in the industry. I'm glad they are still around.

iD is not only one of the best, they are the OLDEST. Without iD, there may not even be any FPS games to play because they invented the FPS. It makes me sick when someone goes around disrespecting this legendary company for the most retarded of reasons!

btw, the story of Doom 1 is about an experiment that goes wrong when instead of opening up a portal into Mars, the scientists in Doom open up a portal into HELL. So if anything, Valve borrowed the storyline from Doom 1, a game that came out years before it.

Frankly, Doom3 and HL2 are likely to both be very strong games, but with wildly different takes on where FPS gaming is / should be going.

Doom3 is based on a new storyline and a much moodier game than its predecessors. It is not a simple remake. It will not have the wave-upon-wave of enemies we saw in the earlier games: it's simply too demanding. What Doom3 brings to the table in advancing single player FPS gaming is simple: immersion by realism in graphics. I expect it to be a short game, but gripping. That engine was built for suspense, and I bet it'll do a great job of it.

HL2 looks to be a game that will immerse players as well, but in a different way: while the graphics are good, the real strength of the game (or at least what they're showing) seems to be the flexible physics. It's not that everything is necessarily real to a fault: rather, it looks like players will just have a lot more environmental interaction than has previously been the norm. The story will probably be reasonably good, but what will grab me is the sheer fun of a game that lets me shoot that plank out from under Mr. Enemy so he rag-dolls down the side of a building...

Both look good. My money is on Doom3 for visual technology and amazing creepiness (yes, I think HL2 looks good too), but HL2 for gameplay, feel - and fun.

Of the two, though, from what little I have read about the engines and specs required, my nod for community uptake has to go to HL2. This is a game that is designed for everyone to be able to run. I read in one of the previews that the bare minimum was a DX6-compliant video card... I don't know whether that's the case or not, but it illustrates the point that Source-based games are meant to be accessible.

Both games are big steps forward for FPS single-player gamers, who have been sadly neglected (with a few exceptions) over the past year or so.

ID has been nothing but a game engine provider for the past bunch of years. That's how they make their money.

From what I've seen of HL2 and Doom3, HL2 is going to be so much more popular. Doom3 may turn out to be a fun single player experience and then you move on. HL2 is 30+ hours of gameplay. I highly doubt the ability of ID to make any more than 12 hours tops... They just don't have the manpower to make that much content. Enter the Matrix can be beaten in 6-8 hours and their development team was bigger than ID.

I think Doom3 will be a quick, exciting experience that will show off the power of the engine in a single player game so other game companies will buy the engine. However, HL2 will be a lifesytle :p

To quote PCZone-God Wandy (and I hope he doesn't mind if he ever read this, very unlikely)....

You just have to watch the two E3 trailers back to back to realise that Doom III rides on old cliches; Half-Life 2 excels at imagination and creativity. I was more creeped by the Valve experience. The images from it were Lovecraft and Poe — they tickled my brain. Half-Life says "unspeakable evil", Doom says "lots more bad guys".

He also added...

Doom III will score them (id) a few more Ferraris but in years to come I'll be buggered sideways if people are still yacking about it. Folks remember daring, avant-garde, and seminal titles like Command & Conquer and Half-Life; if Half-Life 2 appears on shop shelves in the early Autumn, nobody's going to give a tuppeny **** about going outside again let alone buying Doom frickin III...

I agree with him.

Doom 3 will be good, maybe excellent.

Half Life 2 will still rape it.

Norlan you moron..the game is a doom1 remake with a a couple new storylines in it..why dont you try reading up on it then come back to the forums and be a bigger ass.

Without iD, there may not even be any FPS games to play because they invented the FPS.

They didn't invent the FPS, they were just the first ones to design a really succesful one.

DOOM3 should be really really good, for those who have systems that can handle it.

I've been following the information on Doom 3's development since the early beginning and obviously you are either being retarded or you have no idea what you're talking about. Basically what Hammer said sums up what how I feel towards both games.

Fair enough, I have yet said anything about judging Doom 3. Personally I'm still very addicted to vanilla Doom and still playing SP and DM. Doom has new mods and maps too every week, so I can never get enough of it. I just hope some people would stop whining about how much Doom 3 sucks since they haven't even played the damn game yet and obviously they have no clues of what they are talking about.

Im not whining im just not interested in it like i said in my last posts.

DOOM3 is more then just a remake of the original story.. they have put alot of work in the game.. its become more like a interactive movie then a game. all new monster, a whole new story - based on the original - written by the guy who wrote the 11th hour and 7th guest stories. so I think the story will be alright. I am a very Pro doomer I love the classic doom and I am going to love DOOM3. But when I saw the 8 HL2 gameplay movies, I believed.. I started to believe that HL2 will beat, kill and rape DOOM3. I will still play DOOM3 when the game hits shelves, the same with HL2, these games are exelent IMO and they only predict of what more to expect from the next generation of FPS games

BRING IT ON!

Back