Notice how the Doom3 story starts?

doom3 isnt a great game. its just a great engine that the developer want to show the world.

Just to be clear: Doom3 is not a remake in any sense. It's based a new story, built on a new engine, with an entirely different sort of gameplay. Carmack says as much - and we all can deduce it - from the E3 materials. Yes, I could put in a cheap shot about looking at last year's E3 materials, too, but I believe good games take time - like HL2, I hope.

Frankly, people who liked the flinch-shooter wave-after-wave style of Dooms 1 and 2 are more likely to stick with Serious Sam (2) than to really enjoy Doom 3. This game is quite a shift in the Doom "franchise".

I agree - mostly - with what people are saying about Doom3 being a showcase for an engine. Hell, the engine is already licensed out for the making of Quake 4, which will be done by Raven Software ( www.ravensoft.com ). However, I think the decision to use the Doom name means that the game will be more than that: to Carmack personally and to id as a company, this is a piece of their history. They want to make a worthy effort for the sake of that past (unlike Westwood, with the 1001 Command and Conquer titles, half of which blew...).

One of these games doesn't have to be better than the other in any absolute way, as they are two very different kinds of efforts in the FPS venue, and they target different audiences with different styles of games.

I think I will enjoy both!

Just to be fair to Doom3 I think I should point out that's how Doom's story started way before Half-Life. It's just Half-Life did it better.
:cheers:

FromHell: how could you say so when you haven't even played the game? That's enough, quit babbling.

Paradox: Half Life just borrowed Doom's idea and added more details to it as the story could fit into an advanced game with better technology and everything. I'm sure Doom's original writers could have done the same but it wouldn't be right for the game during that time.

Originally posted by Norlan
FromHell: how could you say so when you haven't even played the game? That's enough, quit babbling.

Where judging on the screenshots and the videos not of anyone playing the game.

Originally posted by dagz
Where judging on the screenshots and the videos not of anyone playing the game.
That's very perceptive of your thoughts
icon27.gif

Both games will be excellent.

It seems to be me that Id Software is more interesting in creating engines, and selling them to other developers.

Notice how in the past theyve only created really 1 game based off the engine their making, as to show developers and the people what the engine is capable of. I think the same will be said with Doom 3. They'll make this game, to basically showcase the engine, and they'll make the majority of their money, by selling it to other developers.

I agree with most people here....Doom3 will be one HELL OF A GAME, but HL2 will always be better :D

Originally posted by Norlan
This is a HL2 forum, so yeah sure

No its regular people judging on which game sounds/looks better.

Not really. This is a Hl2 forum, thus pretty much everyone will say Hl2 looks better. Go to a Doom 3 forum and pretty much everyone will say Doom 3 looks better.

Personally, as much as I am looking forward to HL2, you just can't beat the direct fear inducing atmosphere of D3. D3 monsters mean mofo's and there only purpose is to consume your soul/body. HL2 has a story and characters and it's approach is different.

As I've said before, I can't wait for both these games, but each has a different appeal for me.

Originally posted by SenorDingDong
Not really. This is a Hl2 forum, thus pretty much everyone will say Hl2 looks better. Go to a Doom 3 forum and pretty much everyone will say Doom 3 looks better.

We are just normal people judging on games. There can be doom3 fans that love the doom 1/2 games and still post here. These forums arent strictly for hl2 fans its for the public.

Also if i recalled right there was more people at wanting to see hl2 than doom3 at e3.

Originally posted by dagz
We are just normal people judging on games. There can be doom3 fans that love the doom 1/2 games and still post here. These forums arent strictly for hl2 fans its for the public.

Also if i recalled right there was more people at wanting to see hl2 than doom3 at e3.

Of course more people would want to see Half-Life 2. You have to think before posting. This is the first time Half-Life 2 was ever really revealed and showed to the public. Doom 3 was revealed awhile ago, and thus people already know about it, and would be more excited to see Halflife 2.

Originally posted by ParaBellum
Personally, as much as I am looking forward to HL2, you just can't beat the direct fear inducing atmosphere of D3. D3 monsters mean mofo's and there only purpose is to consume your soul/body. HL2 has a story and characters and it's approach is different.

As I've said before, I can't wait for both these games, but each has a different appeal for me.
I pretty much agree with what you said. However Doom 3 will be more story-driven rather than traditional FPS gaming. If you have seen the leaked movie from last year, you'd notice that there will be some quite suspenseful characters such as the evil scientist who communicates with HELL, and Sarge from Quake 3 will be put to a mission in game as well. Also apparently D3's monsters are a whole lot more detailed from what we see so far.

Originally posted by SenorDingDong
Of course more people would want to see Half-Life 2. You have to think before posting. This is the first time Half-Life 2 was ever really revealed and showed to the public. Doom 3 was revealed awhile ago, and thus people already know about it, and would be more excited to see Halflife 2.

No it dont matter if doom3 was reviewed last year or the year before. As far as i know they could of redid the whole game and re reviewed it (like previous games). It had more people because look at half-life1. It was so successfull in everyway at its time and still is. People were probably thinking if hl1 was so great i wonder how hl2 will be. Not all the same people goto e3 every year.

Hmm, I didn't know all that. I guess I should revisit that leaked movie if someone could point me in the right direction. I do know, that you will have a PDA in D3 now, an idea that got from a great game, System Shock 2.

Back