Oculus Rift Videos

William

Spy
Reaction score
Admittidly, I took these from Reddit, but some of the footage coming from C.E.S. showing people using the Oculus Rift is honestly getting me pretty excited. It'll still be a bit weird for first person shooters, but for simulators like flight sims and driving games this type of thing looks really cool. I'm glad one of the videos shows a dude with glasses, being a glasses wearing individual myself.

A game like ARMA would be a good fit, as it already has freedom of vision and head tracking support. though I guess that falls into the Sim category as you say.

As I approach (hopefully) the end of my education I'm allowing myself to get excited over more lavish luxury items now. Hopefully by next year I'll be in full-time employment and I'll be pouring any spare cash into building a ridiculous gaming rig. If I can afford it I'll have one of these and a Novint Falcon sitting on my desk and I'll have a long HDMI cable (or wireless transmitters if low-latency ones exist) connecting it to a TV as well.

I probably won't be able to afford all that crap, but I'll be able to assemble it piece by piece.

As a developer I'm very excited for these.

As a consumer I'm very excited for these.

But seriously, some of the reaction videos are great and people are getting very excited about them. If games start supporting these (quite a few already do) then I can see them becoming quite big!

As I approach (hopefully) the end of my education I'm allowing myself to get excited over more lavish luxury items now. Hopefully by next year I'll be in full-time employment and I'll be pouring any spare cash into building a ridiculous gaming rig. If I can afford it I'll have one of these and a Novint Falcon sitting on my desk and I'll have a long HDMI cable (or wireless transmitters if low-latency ones exist) connecting it to a TV as well.

I probably won't be able to afford all that crap, but I'll be able to assemble it piece by piece.

haha!! I'm 26, been working for 4 years now. The common adage still applies... when you are young you don't have any money but tons of time, when you are old you have tones of money but no time. Not to be a "debby downer", but don't get your hopes up too much :p

These are cool but I can't wait to see them after position tracking is implemented.

Eye tracking too -- Imagine if the game could detect what portion of the game you are looking at via eye tracking so it could properly impliment focus?! Forget putting things in proper 3D, this would essentially give the same effect.

I always imagine the future of VR to be a a cooler version of Laser Quest. You wear the helmets, and you and the other players are unleashed in a specially designed room thats just got walls of different height and etc, and the VR just creates the visuals. You wear vests to determine and give input on getting hit, and you can actually run around shooting people.

Just be careful of the invisible walls, because they're literally walls.

And watch out for those quicktime events.

I just want to see this implemented into the next Frictional Games project. Having to physically avoid looking at enemies to keep your character sane? Yes please.

Oh god a headcrab! SHAKE! SHAKE!

Press B for aspirin!

I'd shit outa my eyeholes if Frictional ever moved amnesia to the oculus rift...

Nice Ren. I posted it to the VT.net facebook page too.

The initial prospects are fascinating, and this technology is looking better all the time.

More Half-Life vids. For those curious this is actually an entirely self-made setup. He's copying what Oculus did for some of the Rift demonstration prototypes but the final Rift should actually function better than what he has here (hopefully). The gun is an Xbox360 Top Shot Elite with a motion tracker taped to it.

Favourite moment is in the first video around 0:25 when he just turns the gravity gun to the side to pull a sawblade off the wall (and misses) without taking his eyes off the zombie. Can't do that in a normal FPS (can you do it in ARMA?)

Can you imagine playing Dark Corners of the Earth using this.

Can't do that in a normal FPS (can you do it in ARMA?)
You can move your head independently of your body/weapon, so yeah. But not quite the same way in that video of course, since he has tracking on his gun and his head. In arma's case you're controlling your gun with the mouse, and head with the headtracking.

Not sure how I feel about those videos. Having independent analog control of your gun and head at the same time seems really disorienting, especially with the tilt.

Just imagine playing Dark Corners of the Earth using this.

Haven't played that in ages. I mean I can see a boost in sales for horror games when the headset arrives, with games like slender. I am personally interested to see this as an alternative therapy method for people with phobias of heights, insects, etc. I mean I have constantly held my breath if I have fallen from a great height in games, but I might have a cardiac arrest now I can do it it in Stereo.

The one game that I would love to play in conjunction though would be AAaaaaaaaa: Reckless Disregard for Gravity.

Not sure how I feel about those videos. Having independent analog control of your gun and head at the same time seems really disorienting, especially with the tilt.

I can see shooters probably being the hardest to translate to OR, I mean you could cheat I suppose, i.e. if your shooting from the hip then you can free-look around, but in ironsights (aimed with the mouse), your head snaps towards your mouse's target.

I imagine that being the one actually doing it makes all the difference. Though possibly the disconnect of not actually moving your hands in a correlating fashion in real life, but rather a thumbstick on a controller, may mess you up.

You wouldn't notice the tilt yourself. Your head is rarely perfectly straight but your brain compensates for it. Obviously your brain isn't compensating for the tilt on a video screen of someone else's head moving, but it well when you're wearing the device yourself.

As utterly ridiculous as this piece of equipment is I sort of want to try it out with the above settup for Half-Life 2:

Wow. I've always wondered when someone would come out with something like that, but gosh it looks awkward.

Hahah, that looks like the VR rig from the movie Hackers.

It seems a hell of a lot smaller and simpler than I expected such a device to be.

Back