Odd sensation while lying in bed

I used to get something similar in why childhood, don't know if it's the same condition.

When I went to bed and tried to sleep I would sometimes (a few times per month maybe) get into a state of mind where basically everything seemed smaller. Not far away, just smaller. The square of light that was my open door seemed tiny, as did any other sources of light in my room. There was also something strange happening to the sound. Every sound, such as that of my own breath, gave me a feeling that I can best describe as annoyed; the sound annoyed me. It was never a problem, in fact I would sometimes attempt to trigger it myself as I seemed to fall asleep easier in that condition.

Does any of this sound familiar, morgs?

I've had this happen to me, used to be quite a bit, not so much anymore. I would get the sense that I'm looking at an impossibly huge object accompanied with a sensation of falling or 'zooming out'. Only happened when my eyes were closed, too. It's a disconcerting feeling, but it always passed fairly quickly so I never thought anything of it. Coincidentally I do have a propensity for migraines. Never knew anyone else got these until now.

This sounds pretty much like what I've been experiencing. I read something online about Migraines relating to AIWL syndrome so that may be an answer.

I've never been satisfied with the definitions of macropsia and micropsia.

I would describe it as objects appearing far away. Whether that gives the impression that they're huge and I'm tiny, or the objects looking small because everything is far away (like a fisheye lense), it's all kind of the same thing.

I used to have terrifying experiences with this as a child. Horrifying sounds and other visual things in my imagination would have me screaming at night, and my mom would have to calm me down.

I still experience it on occasion when I'm deprived of sleep, but it's usually just the visual sensation. I almost try to immerse myself into it so I can get the audio and tactile experiences that go along with it, just because I find it so interesting. (like taking drugs without the drugs) Sometimes I'll hear audio noise, as if my ears are turned up real high but there aren't any loud sounds. Or I'll hear sounds in my imagination and they're distorted as if overdriven. The tactile sensations are far more difficult to describe. The last time I remember experiencing it, it was in a half-dream state and there was a terrifying feeling accompanied with it. I was grasping some unknown object (or maybe nothing at all) with my hand, and it seemed to be changing in size. I was comfortable when it was small. But when it was large I would be terrified for some reason. Yeah, in before penis jokes.

You've actually managed to remind be of another part of my childhood experience through your description, the sounds. I remember sounds that would start quietly, then build up very quickly and stop suddenly, and they'd be a ringing type noise. Like you, these experiences used to effect me much worse as a child to the point where I was afraid to go to bed at night, but the visual experiences I've been having lately don't seem to be so bad.

I used to get something similar in why childhood, don't know if it's the same condition.

When I went to bed and tried to sleep I would sometimes (a few times per month maybe) get into a state of mind where basically everything seemed smaller. Not far away, just smaller. The square of light that was my open door seemed tiny, as did any other sources of light in my room. There was also something strange happening to the sound. Every sound, such as that of my own breath, gave me a feeling that I can best describe as annoyed; the sound annoyed me. It was never a problem, in fact I would sometimes attempt to trigger it myself as I seemed to fall asleep easier in that condition.

Does any of this sound familiar, morgs?

I've never had anything visually odd with my eyes open, in your case it sounds a lot like micropsia.

I figured I'd just say, this isn't a call for help, per say. I'm not really worried about what's happening, I'm just really keen to find out what the hell it is :S

You've actually managed to remind be of another part of my childhood experience through your description, the sounds. I remember sounds that would start quietly, then build up very quickly and stop suddenly, and they'd be a ringing type noise. Like you, these experiences used to effect me much worse as a child to the point where I was afraid to go to bed at night, but the visual experiences I've been having lately don't seem to be so bad.

Tinnitus?

It's possible, although I haven't had the audio since I was a kid.

Sounds like CEV to me, a form of hallucination that is only experienced when your eyes are closed. I experience it too. Also I have intermitten paranoia and insomnia with the symptom.

After some research I think it may be Alice in wonderland syndrome. The feelings of worry/danger seem to sound about right. According to the Wikipedia page it can also happen at sleep onset.

exploding head syndrome

I suffer from this, it's extremely upleasant.

From your post, I think I experience the exact same thing. Like everything in the world is suddenly huge except you, as soon as you start falling asleep. As if, as the universe expands, you just get left behind. It doesn't really frighten me. I feel small and safe and well hidden in my suddenly massive bed. Like a little mouse.

I still get this sensation sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep. I think it's just the lack of visual input to stabilize your positional awareness. I get the sensation of things zooming in and out, extremely close and then far away and back. (kind of related to feeling really small) Sometimes if I am imagining things as I'm falling asleep, I will have that mental picture zoom in and out. Maybe it has something to do with lying on your back and your ears confusing the force of gravity with acceleration. I don't think it happens if I lie on my side, but usually I'm too tired to give a shit.

I still get this sensation sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep. I think it's just the lack of visual input to stabilize your positional awareness. I get the sensation of things zooming in and out, extremely close and then far away and back. (kind of related to feeling really small) Sometimes if I am imagining things as I'm falling asleep, I will have that mental picture zoom in and out.

This, EXACTLY this. Popping in between really big and then really far away. And my imagination is very vivid too, like I can picture a line drawing and the lines will get really thick to the point where the object would be unrecognizable if it were an actual picture, but my mind still somehow sees what it is.. hard to explain.

That description resonates with me too! I think we're zeroing in on this.

Yep, it definitely sounds like the same thing, it must be quite common.

Back