Off the wagon...

Who... I... what...

Ha, I got a warning for that post. I was only kidding, man. I've been posting on an Asheron's Call forum and a Jedi Knight message board since at least 2001 so when I call someone a nerd it's only in the most good-natured and chummy way.

Not only did I get a warning, but my return-thread got moved to Newbie central despite my account having over 1500 posts and being almost a decade old. lol, nice

I want to go on record saying that I did not intend to be derogatory in my first post in this thread, explaining Badhat's post. I was greatly amused at how badly Rorschach took Badhat's jokey post, and I can see how my post expressing this amusement could have made things worse for him. But I didn't actually mean for it to be a "haha you idiot, see ya" post. Just pure amusement. I thought we could all have a laugh at it afterwards, but how wrong I was. It was short sighted of me I suppose, but it could have been fine.

And then you made your post saying we should be more careful, and I interpreted that as you telling badhat to be more careful, which of course sounded ridiculous to me. And then the rest was history.

I'm going to start reading your posts out loud. (the audio regulates after the first sentence)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0fI3zntzsnR

You picked an odd post to randomly come back from the dead to reply to, with that of all things.

Anyway, newbie central is just the general area for welcome threads. It's not uncommon for people who have returned after a long time to make a thread in there.

You picked an odd post to randomly come back from the dead to reply to, with that of all things.

Anyway, newbie central is just the general area for welcome threads. It's not uncommon for people who have returned after a long time to make a thread in there.

What he said. I moved it because Newbie central is just a general "Welcome" or "Welcome back" area, while the Lounge is for general discussions and such.

Here are some facts:

1. The forum is unpopular lately because that's what happens to internet forums in 2013 about a game developer that doesn't have much to discuss (until hl3 or a new game is afoot)
1b. It is not because of any 'attitudes'. You're letting a few squeeky wheels warp your perception of reality here. You can not prove that people are choosing not to register after seeing how we talk to eachother on here. That's not even how new people join forums; they usually have a specific question to ask, or topic they want to discuss, which they will sign up to post.
2. You can't tell a bunch of people who have been community members for years, who are keeping the site alive, how to act. Especially when you yourself do not have as much experience being a part of this community as we do. And please don't try to claim that you do. It's naive and insulting. I've been posting here actively without any breaks for over 9 years, and everyone else here who is a long time member disagrees with your idea of "improving" the forum.

I have to have some amount of dignity here. I've contributed massively to this forum's activity and made a lot of friends. I've organized group gaming events in here and in the steam chatroom. I treat members new and old with an attitude that you're trying to say is a problem that needs to be fixed. Sorry, but you can't make that call. You may be on the staff but you actually do not have the tie to the community that I have to tell me that I'm wrong and you're right. Every other member with more experience on this forum than you is all the support I need to say this confidently. Trying to tell all of us that we need to change our act for you is an outright insult, and like Stig says, is the opposite of helping the forum.

I vocalized it for you. The sound regulates as it proceeds.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZtoXhAzngW

If some people's actions have not been a problem in that past, it's not because those actions should not have always been discouraged, but because active moderation has been virtually nonexistent. If there were any one else, don't you think they would have spoken up by now in this very thread? I invited other staff to come here and set me straight if they disagreed. There's been nothing, and I think because while my words have been likely far too sharp ok certainly too sharp, it's that they do not disagree.

And, when I say that all that needs to be done is for people to respect one another, to not jump down someone's throat that's really the issue at hand. You're reading into my words things I don't feel.

BadHat made a joke that was sarcastic, but not the personal attack it was read as. Rorschach got upset at a perceived slight and reacted the way people often do to being repeatedly jabbed at. This situation itself wasn't bad, what happened next was many commentators jumping onto him for being too thin skinned and good riddance, etc. THAT is where the problem lay. Something was innocently misinterpreted and then through the small actions of multiple people it was turned into a big deal.

Vegeta did explain that he felt it was a joke (and not to call him out specifically) but the tone of his post is derogatory. There was no other attempt to correct him in a reasonable manner. And please don't quote single sentences to prove that wrong, the tone of nearly every post after his misunderstanding is one of "good riddance".

If it's going to happen eventually might as well make sure it's done right.

My whole set up is around 3 grand market price. That said who the hell pays that? Probably closer to a 1k-1.5k what was paid over the years. The rest of my gear I've probably paid around 3.5k into.

This is an expensive hobby to be in.

Also I know the voice I start with is from something, I didn't mean to slip into it but I can't recall where that voice is from. Gah. Going to drive me crazy.

This thread is the weirdest thing that has happened here in quite a while. Maybe sinko will have a good story to tell his kids when he tells them how he quit smoking.

If it's going to happen eventually might as well make sure it's done right.
Oh my god I'm in tears. This is the greatest thing of all things.

Its like a mix between Nathan Barnatt and Tobias Funke in Arrested Development. And someone else that I recognize but can't quite pick out.

Man, this thread went from something something, to total boners, to pretty cool. This is such a rollercoaster of emotions. More recordings and humour, plz.

I forgot all about that thread because it was so awesome and things around here are so tame.

I forgot all about that thread because it was so awesome and things around here are so tame.

At least you got to roll the dice on custom title or bannage. Stylo wasn't even there.

See this guy? This guy I like.

You new guys probably wouldn't even think of making a Christmas roulette banning thread, let alone pull the trigger on it.

He didn't think of it =p BadKingUrgrain did.

He didn't mean think of it as in come up with the idea, he meant consider doing it.

Slight update: Finally went and bought an e-cig yesterday with some pear flavored fluid. I'm in love with the device so far, but if anything I feel like it just enables me to smoke more often. I drank a little bit last night and couldn't help but notice that I was pretty much constantly puffing on it throughout the whole night. I still smoked a bedtime cigarette and just finished my breakfast bogey, and although the one I smoked last night kinda made me want to puke, I think it's going to be really REALLY hard for me to get away from my breakfast cig and a cup of coffee.

It's nice to have my lungs (somewhat) back though. The breakfast cigarette was the only one I could really bear tbh. I tried smoking another when my friend's girlfriend lit up, and I had to actually force myself to finish it.

and I had to actually force myself to finish it.
pXSGnu4.gif

If people are unable or unwilling to not treat people poorly, then whatever happens happens.

Okay, somehow I missed this thread and it seems that it has some posts that were enjoyable and interesting to look upon. Anyway, I just want to take a second to say that I hate this sentence that I quoted.

You're saying that if A (people are unable or unwilling to not treat people poorly), then B (whatever happens) will equal B (whatever happens). It is a terribly useless statement. A doesn't need to exist for B to equal B, B ALWAYS equals B, it's a goddamn tautology. So it effectively is a threat that both fails from a structural standpoint as the implication of the threatened behavior is that 1 = 1 and from a substance standpoint as the actual punishment is not stated. If you threaten someone you should atleast have the decency to be clear and direct about it. It seems actual punishments are occurring for things people don't actually view as crimes so some transparency on what repercussions befall what actions could only help the situation, and yet we get some ominous "be a shame if something were to happen to you" bullshit.

To clarify, not actually looking for real answers here, just read a sentence at 3AM and didn't like it.

Edit: Woah, this was older than I thought, not sure how this happened.

Back