Okay, I just need a quick point in the right direction...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have finally switched to HL2 from HL1 after years of Hammer Level Making.

I don't intend to get fully engrossed in modding but i do want to utilise some of the advancements, such as changing the weapons and redesigning the NPC skins.

I have spent hours trying to understand how to do this but i seem to be stuck!

Can someone please clarify:

Can I just change the skins and weapons in Single Player HL2 and have them show in Hammer so I can create levels or do I need to install or create some kind of mod?

Do I need to do any coding to add weapons etc or is it as simple as downloading some 3rd party weapons, copying to appropriate folders and changing some text in notepad?

And is there anything special about the 2009 source? My folders and files don't seem to match the tutorials, some files referenced don't seem to even exist in my install?

Thanks for any pointers you can offer to get me going in the right direction.

:)

Can I just change the skins and weapons in Single Player HL2 and have them show in Hammer so I can create levels or do I need to install or create some kind of mod?

Yes, you can do that without making a mod (skins anyway).

Do I need to do any coding to add weapons etc or is it as simple as downloading some 3rd party weapons, copying to appropriate folders and changing some text in notepad?

Yes, you'll need to do some programming to add new weapons.

And is there anything special about the 2009 source? My folders and files don't seem to match the tutorials, some files referenced don't seem to even exist in my install?

Is the 2009 code available? I thought the latest was still 2007. Which tutorials are you referring to?

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

In the Source SDK panel I get the option of 2006, 2007 and Engine Version: Source Engine 2009.

I have changed tack slightly since my original post, my ultimate aim is to create a single player level set in a british police station so I have bought and installed CSS to give me access to a more appropriate range of weapons.

I have managed to install these (apologies if this is outside the scope of this forum) and I can change the .ctx files to set my own names/damage but I can't find what I need to do to turn a fully auto weapon into a semi auto one (British police use semi only mp5's, G36c's etc).

Is this parameter contained elsewhere?

Thanks again.

Am I right in thinking this just needs a script in the autoexec.cfg file?

Would anyone know what code would automatically enforce all weapons to semi auto?

Thanks

I have managed to install these (apologies if this is outside the scope of this forum) and I can change the .ctx files to set my own names/damage but I can't find what I need to do to turn a fully auto weapon into a semi auto one (British police use semi only mp5's, G36c's etc).

Is this parameter contained elsewhere?

I think you'll need to make a mod and do some programming to make a weapon semi-automatic.
There's MP5 source code in the Source SDK.

Hmm, well my skills lie firmly in mapping and texturing so I think that level of scripting is outside of my comfort zone!

I can deal with the weapons not being semi auto I reckon, ill concentrate on re-skinning the characters and making new building textures.

Ill probably post in some CSS forums for help with other css specific modifications I want to make and see what is possible for someone with my skills.

Many thanks for replying.

Back