On religion.

Raz:

On the one hand, I decry what might be called your moral cowardice - your failure to fully consider the ramifications of your thoughts - to take the concepts you are playing with to their logical conclusion - to fully commit. You're being intellectually dishonest, in that you seem to know, half-consciously, that there is not much going for religious concepts, and yet you accept them out of a sense of mental obligation, and the 'comfort' they give you.

On the other hand, why do I care? It's no crime to be unsure; we're in what appears to be a vast and chaotic and messy and absurd universe, and even if we're not, we're a vast and chaotic and messy and absurd species; the web of perspectives (or 'lies') we've created is difficult to navigate. No God knows few people are entirely sure of everything and I don't think I'd want to be. It seems stupid to crucify you for being ambivalent in a world like this, especially when you're thinking for yourself.

So basically I disagree with your position but only slightly, and totally sympathise. You're fine; just keep thinking.

See that's just the thing. I don't use it like a crutch. It's more of an identity thing. I don't want to change that part about me, because I don't have to. I don't see any benefit of changing it. I can't fathom any possible benefit in my situation, to shed it aside and denounce it. It won't change anything, won't open my eyes to anything new.
If it's integral to who you are, just keep it.

You have to ask yourself though: is it only a part of me because it's been there so long, or does it actually form a part of my personality? Because, from what I'm reading, it sounds like you want to "keep your badge" simply because you've had it for so long, not because it's important to you. And you said it yourself, giving it up won't change how you feel about anything...it sounds as if it's just a remnant you're holding on to because it affects nothing.

It's your life, man. I wouldn't be too concerned with labels. Do what's right for you.

You're fine; just keep thinking.
I agree completely. It's fine to be unsure the way you are, Raziaar, and it's fine to stay in this "limbo" state between religion and atheism. Just make sure you don't stop wondering about the existence of God.

I've said this before, but I believe the most important thing a person can do is to question everything. Not in a stupid high-school-anarchist "Questioning institutions means believing all institutions are bad!" bullshit. Rather, in a way that lets you look at issues and ideas from different perspectives. In your case, every once in a while you should take a look at your belief in God. Ask yourself a few basic questions about it: Why do I believe this? When did I start believing this? What makes this belief correct? Then you look at the answers you come up with, and you ask yourself a few basic questions about those. Keep going and you'll often find yourself with a new perspective on something.

There's nothing wrong with the state of belief that you're in, just don't forget to keep up some critical thought :)

Back