One Steam, two OS

bbson john

Tank
Reaction score
I have installed a second Windows in the same computer of mine, in a different harddisk. The old one is windows XP and the newly-installed one is windows 7. I have my Steam installed in XP but not in Windows 7.

I want to access to my Steam in windows 7. I created a desktop shortcut linked to the steam.exe in the old harddisk with XP installed; but whenever I attempt to start it, an error always pop up: "Steam.exe (main exception): Cannot open blob archive file: CMultiFieldBlob(mem-mapped file): Failed to open existing file, Win32 Error...".

I don't want to install Steam again in my Windows 7 as Steam including the games will occupy a large portion of space in my harddisk. The Gbs space will be wasted since all I would have installed are duplicated game files. Are there anyway to access and play games on Steam using another OS which doesn't have Steam directly installed?

I can understand dual-booting OSX and 7, but why XP and 7? Seems redundant.

Oh come on, lazy bones. The solution is staring you in the face!

I did exactly what you're trying to do and never got that error? It just worked (although I did have to re-type my password). Are you logged in as an administrator? In answer to everyone's question, I wanted to try 7 but didn't want to find out that it was shite and have to reinstall everything with XP, plus most games from XP simply run in 7, no questions asked.

Back