One thing I don't like about Steam...

StarBob

Tank
Reaction score
... but first let me say this. I love Steam sales. I've bought nearly every Steam game I have during a sale.

What I don't like however, is situations like this weekend where they have TF2 on sale again. TF 2 has been on sale probably 5-10 times since it was released in various ways. Whether alone or in a pack. If somehow someone is using Steam and managed to miss all of these sales, I would wonder if they even want the game at all?

I mean, sure I'd like it to be a sale on a new game like Dragon Age or Modern Warfare 2... but who wouldn't? I really enjoy when Indie and less known games are on sale. Games that may have come out a year or two ago and either fell out of popularity or were not heavily touted and purchased. That's why I ended up getting Plants vs Zombies and Medieval 2... most recently... and countless other games in the past.

I just want variety in the sales. I suppose it's not so bad these days with there being two big sales a week... but venting seemed to be a good thing to do here. Somone go tell Valve to make Dragon Age 50% off.

It's not simply Valve who decides the sales. There are a lot of parties involved (developer, publisher, Valve, ...).

I guess I have to put my foot in my mouth because Torchlight joined the weekend sale.

Yeah I was going to get it, but that was the first day of five and I didn't want to "blow my load" buying out everything I saw only to have a gem pop up later on... if you know what I mean.

Also, I have to really wonder who waited this long for TF2. Everyone who bought Orange Box got it. Then more than two years passed of people enjoying and talking about it with sales for orange box and TF2 flying around like peanuts at a peanuttery. Yet there are still people out there who have said "I cannot possibly purchase this yet... the millions of good reviews and near-free pricing cannot sway my stubborn will to avoid fun."

My only guess as to the reasoning is that these individuals were only five and had not reached the age of seven required to join servers and spend their days getting better than me. Or possibly they were in some sort of time freeze or stasis ...maybe frozen in a lake... and only now have they returned to modern society and wish to join in the festivities.

Regardless of the possibilities, I think Steam should accomodate my having already purchased things and only offer me deals for things I have not purchased.

And if you're curious, I did not buy Torchlight because it doesn't have multiplayer and that's a silly thing to do.

I'm glad they have multiple sales... I don't have a gaming computer and haven't for over a year, so if I miss a sale it's not the end of the world. It's also good for say, my one friend who wants TF2 but doesn't have his graphics card yet.

Back