Opening the HL2 Preload gcf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowie

Reaction score
Ok, how do you open this:

Winrar doesnt work
GCFscape says failed to map to memory but I know people have manages so how do you do it?

thanks in advance

Shuzer said:
Get the latest version of GCFScape

In before close. Shuzer, prepare for a formal warning from Icarus. I got one for mearley mentioning ***scape

Try to make a copy out on your desktop, and open it with the newest program thingie :LOL:

Note: Many files will be rubbish since they're encrypted :( all textures files is anyways, seems like the only usable file is gman.jpg

you also get warnings for quoting such words also :)

The exact same thing happens to me. I have the latest version and I always make sure Steam is closed beforehand. Nobody can tell me what's wrong either.

Uhm.. that sounds a bit ridiculous. .. :|

Especially considering the freaking thing is at the VERC.

SMT said:
The exact same thing happens to me. I have the latest version and I always make sure Steam is closed beforehand. Nobody can tell me what's wrong either.

Make sure you have .NET installed, then make an iteration of said file (just to make sure it's not being used by another process), then try to open :)

craig said:
In before close. Shuzer, prepare for a formal warning from Icarus. I got one for mearley mentioning ***scape

What? Where in the rules is it mentioned that GCFscape is close/banworthy? This is downright draconian.

close steam. Physically find the file through windows explorer/my computer and right click on it. Select open with and open it with *Oh Noes*Scape.

Why can't we say ***Scape?

just close the god damn steam if you want to open the gcfs.
btw there is nothing useful there. unless you have the leak. which you probably dont have...because youre the halflife2.net... :rolleyes:

edit: blahblahblah you got here faster.

Even if you do open it in GCF, it's no use. The textures are encrypted - you can't open them in hammer. Valve has done their homework, so run along boys.

not being allowed to tell the name of the program in question would be hypocrisy at its finest.. how did we find about the second test ?

you need to install gcf escape then manually search for it and right click it and press open with gcf escape or just double click the file it should open in gcf escape if you installed it

lans said:
Even if you do open it in GCF, it's no use. The textures are encrypted - you can't open them in hammer. Valve has done their homework, so run along boys.

BOLLOX, you can check out models and their animation for example

lans said:
*cough* the leak. as i already said.

does "Hammer" rings something?

I have Steam closed
I have the latest version of g*fscape
I dont have the leak
So why doesnt it open?

Dowie said:
I have Steam closed
I have the latest version of g*fscape
I dont have the leak
So why doesnt it open?
works here.. so no idea.

anyway, you have nuffin to see there except some unopenable files.

craig, sorry but you know we don't put up with in before lock posts, 7 days ;(

The Dark Elf, is there any sort of tacit rule against mentioning GCFScape in a non-spoilerish context?

They might as well release the SDK with Hammer now, as we all can see the monsters and characters that will be in HL2, so that entity list won't be a problem either anymore.

"OHNOES! scape"....hahaha! classic! :D

The Dark Elf said:
craig, sorry but you know we don't put up with in before lock posts, 7 days ;(

I don't think that ban was justified in the slightest. He only said it simply because he had been unfairly warned for mentioning GCFScape. He sincerely thought the topic was going to be closed, and gave me a fair warning.

SMT said:
The Dark Elf, is there any sort of tacit rule against mentioning GCFScape in a non-spoilerish context?
I've not heard of any rule saying that can't be mentioned

I've not seen Valve say you can't use it neither. I've not warned anyone about mentioning it anyway, don't personally see the problem with it, still can't use anything really that you find in the files, or maybe you can I dunno. If it was such a problem I'm sure Valve would simply change the format slightly to stop it working.

AFAIK benson/craig/craigweb (wtf with all the name changes?) was warned on other matters.

They have to update the code to open anything over a gig guys.
I could be wrong. But, I'll look at the code and try to fix it. Oh, I don't have that version of the code. damn it!
However, guys!
This program was made so you could get files out of the GCF file. According to Valve, it is illegal. However, I HAVE NEVER seen any contract. Therefore, it is not illegel. Admins, please leave this thread open. Thanks.

It would be kind of odd for Valve to consider GCFScape illegal since they hid the beginning of the second test in the HL2 preload GCF. Just a thought.

SMT said:
It would be kind of odd for Valve to consider GCFScape illegal since they hid the beginning of the second test in the HL2 preload GCF. Just a thought.

what he said

kl, as soon as ***scape is updated email me the link or post here :cheers:

SMT said:

Valve's new "catch the norty peoples" technique.

I know this is useless but I need to say it: 0.4% left of HL2 preload!:thumbs:

since we are now on oftopic mode, my preload is at 100%

Frankly, I don't see the point in opening the GCF, unless you're:

1) A desperate MOD maker

or

2) Someone with less than honorable intent.

Either way there is less point to it than a box of rubber bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back