Orange Box - Share the Wealth

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
If you've preordered the Orange Box and already own Half-Life 2 and/or HL2: Episode One, then you're now able to give away said games to a friend for free. Just go to "Games" -> "Manage gifts & guest passes" and hand them out to your pal... I'm sure that person will appreciate you that much more.[br]
1191908761_diagram.jpg

since when were you able to add non-steam games to the list?
what an awesome feature!

^Yeah, i just noticed that the other day, and it's a nice feature. Leaves my desktop uncluttered.

Now only if they'd let me manage my games, and let me separate them into sub-categories.

Nice to see them get this ready for the 'lease - time to make my girlfriend get a better computer and give HL2 to her... So she might have some idea what I sometimes rant about...

I'm selling my laptop tomorrow, so I'll have nothing to play the Orange Box on ;__;
I'm using the money to build a really nice computer though.

since when were you able to add non-steam games to the list?
what an awesome feature!
Quite a long time now! It's a very nice little feature.

I shall off load these to a friend this very afternoon and I'm sure he'll be very happy to receive them.

why give something away for free THAT I HAVE PAID for!.
You haven't paid for Half-life 2 and Episode 1. Valve threw them in extra for you to give to friends. It's basically you doing micro scale marketing for them so your friends will get hooked like you did and buy things from Steam. If you don't want to give the GIFTS away, don't. We'll rename you the grinch.

Hold on... So my friend can give it back to me as soon as he is done playing it? Can we toss each other Team Fortress 2 this way? :)

Hold on... So my friend can give it back to me as soon as he is done playing it? Can we toss each other Team Fortress 2 this way? :)

No no.

You already got Half-life 2 + Half-life 2: Episode 1.

Orange box contains Half-life 2 + Half-life 2: Episode 1. Now you got TWO Half-life 2 + Half-life 2: Episode 1. You can give 1 of each to a friend. See?

If I gift somebody HL2, will they get deathmatch? If so, would someone else also get deathmatch if I gave them EP1?...

Will it tell that have two copies after I've installed the Orange Box or shoudl I give those away before I install it?

If I gift somebody HL2, will they get deathmatch? If so, would someone else also get deathmatch if I gave them EP1?...

Im pretty sure its just for HL2 and episode 1, they will have to purchase DM separately.

HL2DM is unlocked for free when you have HL2 I think, I doubt that you'll have to pay for it if you gift it to someone.

I don't think it will.
It's in the "EP1 package" ($10) and in some bigger packages but no listing of OB.
I would think it would be listed in the OB list if it was included, at least in fine print somewhere but it is not. And I'm pretty sure the EP1 in the OB is the game, not the package.

And remember when we first bought HL2 through steam the individual games were bundled as packages as well. Bronze, Silver, Gold.

HL2DM is unlocked for free when you have HL2 I think, I doubt that you'll have to pay for it if you gift it to someone.

Negative. HL2DM is separate from the OB.

I don't know about you guys, but I will create a new account, and I will "offer" HL2 and E1 to that account, and then sell the account.

I'm going to pretend you were lying, because that's violating Valve's TOS and is enough to get your steam account banned I think :)

I stand corrected on the HL2DM thing.

I'm going to pretend you were lying, because that's violating Valve's TOS and is enough to get your steam account banned I think :)

Oh don't worry, in France Valve's terms of use are illegal anyway. :eek:

Oh don't worry, in France Valve's terms of use are illegal anyway. :eek:

Yeah about that, you are obeying laws from their state, thus its still illegal to do that, and you can get both accounts disabled. Ennui I think you know what to do :p

Hmm, seems to me that I don't want to give away jack shit because I payed for those, but I guess I should share the wealth....!?

Back