Our EVE Online Corporation

heist.jpg

The lines are still hot as Pandemic Legion just got a masive +200bil hit from the ever existing corp theft treat.

According to early reports, player “Saint Schala” from S******dly [SNIGG] corporation of Pandemic Legion, cleaned up the house at Pandemic Legion defacto home system X-7OMU in Pure Blind, rumor is on the street that the disgruntled member has been specially bothered for the current campaign against the Northern Coalition, specially after being hired by IT, an alliance as we all know, doesn’t have the best past relationships with Pandemic Legion, the initial report was a bit exagerated:

21 thanatos
32 moros
13 nag
12 phoenix
36 revs
33 broads
25 devoter
13 onyx
13 phobos
51 basi
70 guardians
71 scimi
Several Heavy interdictors
and about 80Bil in isk.

Our estimate is a little bit more conservative, at least ship-wise:

2 thanatos
12 moros
3 nag
2 phoenix
16 revs
3 broads
5 devoter
3 onyx
3 phobos
21 basi
30 guardians
11 scimi
and an unespecified ammount of heavy interdictors
200 Bil in cash

It's on Eve News News 24. Is this true? If so then major LOL! That is thousands of real life money. http://www.evenews24.com/2011/02/03...ic-legion-robbed-like-its-going-out-of-style/

I don't entirely understand what happened.

There is a 0.0 corporation called Sni gge rdly (won't let me type out the full word because of some racial term) or SNIG who are part of the alliance that forms Pandemic Legion. PL have experienced FC's and players with many skill points per member. A SNIG member stole assets from PL. Major 0.0 alliances have enough digital goods that equal lots of money if you sold the ISK (which is against the EULA). PL was an ally of the Northern Coalition but split off to become a mercenary alliance. They are helping their previous enemies IT because the price is right and this member took grudges against that. *In fact there is at least 10 Dreadnaughts the 3rd largest ships in the game (mainly used in POS, outpost, sov warfare for long boring sieges). Those go for at least 1 billion ISK each. A game time card good for 3 months play time is worth around 650mil ISK.

The stupid thing is. Now this fella has a bunch of assets in a 0.0 system and can not do anything with them. Its not like you can move all those caps anywhere.

So what happens to your isk when you die in Eve? Is it all lost? Is there some sort of banking system in Eve so you don't have to carry around billions of isk?

No, your isk and hangar items are always safe - in your wallet and station hangars, respectively - and nobody can take them from you. If you lose items to other players it's either through theft (eg. people stealing from your jetcans in space) or combat (people killing you and looting your wreck). Be alert to contract scams too.

When in a corporation or alliance, however, the potential for theft increases, since corps have a communal wallet and often use shared-access corp hangars for convenience. You can restrict the access to these, but that only gives you so much safety; if someone in the inner circle decides he wants to screw everyone by cleaning out the corps assets, he can, as seems to have happened with Pandemic Legion.

You haven't been podded yet? We need to fix that.

No, your isk and hangar items are always safe - in your wallet and station hangars, respectively - and nobody can take them from you. If you lose items to other players it's either through theft (eg. people stealing from your jetcans in space) or combat (people killing you and looting your wreck). Be alert to contract scams too.

When in a corporation or alliance, however, the potential for theft increases, since corps have a communal wallet and often use shared-access corp hangars for convenience. You can restrict the access to these, but that only gives you so much safety; if someone in the inner circle decides he wants to screw everyone by cleaning out the corps assets, he can, as seems to have happened with Pandemic Legion.

But people can't actually loot isk from your wreck right?

You can never loot isk in itself. Only can you loot their hull contents.

No they carnt.

Although some times people will ransom your pod. "Give me 20mil or I pod you" - if you have 100mil of implants you might want to pay! But then they could pod you anyrate!

I was just saying that I need to get you out to 0.0 with my corp for a roam sometime.

Oh lol. Is there some special way to transport packaged ships? Or do you have to assemble them, and fly them to where you want? I want to sell some extra ships I have at some places that will give me better isk.

Also, what's with yellow cargoholds just floating in random places? I wondered if they were traps or something, but when I flew near one that was close to a station, I couldn't open it. Also there were a bunch of ships flying around it for like an hour. Did it likely belong to their friend or something and they are waiting for his return?

I'm pretty sure I saw something saying you could have your unused ships transfered from one station to another if you paid a fee while docked in the station with your ships.

Nope, got to fly your crap everywhere, though i do have a hauler alt that can move yo shit.

So I would have to fly the ship to the location, sell it, and then pod back?

also, my alt-

Your alt looks far better than your main btw. Something about the editor though that makes them all look Icelandic or something. Massive ships such as freighter and jump freighter class ships move vast quantities including whole ships around. You want to re-package stuff to save room as well.

Charon.jpg
You may have seen the Charon flying around the game and is a freighter.

Obelisk2.jpg
Is a jump freighter.

Typically Caldari have the best cargo ships available.

Not really.

It dosnt really make to much difference which freighter you pick but they are all very slightly different.

For example the caldari charon has the largest capacity but the minmitar Fenrir is the fastest so moving goods is a lot faster aligning and just generally. So if you want speed that's a better choice.

The obelisk is also the most common, mainly due to the fact people like the Iteron Mark IV. Being common also makes them a little cheaper.

But it really dosnt matter which you go for as your going to end up around 1,000,000m3 of cargo with all of them

I can fly an itty IV, and I'll move frigates around if you repackage them. But you could just leave your unused ships at that station, and they'll be waiting for you if you ever decide it's worth it to go back and get the 2m tops worth of ships.

Not really.

It dosnt really make to much difference which freighter you pick but they are all very slightly different.

For example the caldari charon has the largest capacity but the minmitar Fenrir is the fastest so moving goods is a lot faster aligning and just generally. So if you want speed that's a better choice.

The obelisk is also the most common, mainly due to the fact people like the Iteron Mark IV. Being common also makes them a little cheaper.

But it really dosnt matter which you go for as your going to end up around 1,000,000m3 of cargo with all of them
No, Caldari have the biggest in freighters and speed doesn't matter. If you form a squad with the person and stasis webify the ship, then they can enter warp almost instantly.

Speed can matter, it depends how you trade.

What sort of ships should I look at if I want something that is much more defensive than offensive? I still haven't grasped the big difference between armor and shields in terms of what sort of protection they offer. Also, for example, does a ship that uses a lot of shielding need a lot of Cap power, but a ship with a lot of armor not need as much?

Your alt looks far better than your main btw.

No one likes my main :(

Defense is a tricky one, speed and armour is your primary defenses. Stacking armour will make you an easy target, stacking speed will make you harder to track (with certain weapons).

Well I was thinking of eventually working around to an Amarr Augoror, it's not too expensive it seems, only goes 153 m/sec though. Mainly because I'm still interested more so in logistics piloting, so I was thinking something with heavy armor and a lot of capacitor power. But while I was reading about logistics, from what I understand there are ones that transfer energy, ones that transfer shielding, and ones that repair armor. From what I've read it sounds like if you chose to repair armor or transfer shielding, that you should only do one, and not both, so I'm trying to figure out which is more important I guess, and what's the most beneficial route into protecting myself as well.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Augoror

Like most Amarrian vessels, the Augoror depends first and foremost on its resilience and heavy armor to escape unscathed from unfriendly encounters.

Amarr Cruiser Skill Bonus: 10% bonus to armor hitpoints per level and 10% bonus to capacitor need of energy transfer arrays per level.

Role bonus: 500% bonus to range of energy transfer arrays.

This is essentially where eve becomes interesting. Its all about weighing up choices and what works best in different situations. The problem is you never really know what situation you are going to come up against when you leave the station!

You are right about logistics, you can see which is good at what by checking out the bonuses. But also knowing the races should also help give an idea as to what their logistics would do. The guardian for example gets some kind of bonus to armor transfer amount so fitting it with shield transfers would obv be a total waste

Amarr, gallente - both generally armor focused
Minmitar - mostly shield but some armor - This is what makes them "hard to train"
Caldari - generally shield focused.

Weather or not shield or armor is better is really dependent on what you are doing as both have advantages and disadvantages. So again this depends on what you are doing. Are you flying missions or are you out in gangs. If you are out in gangs how is that gang flying? (any decent gang would fly complementing ships ie, speed, range, damage, shield or armor)

Shields
-Shields have the ability to "passive tank" this means they can recharge with out any kind of shield booster over time, with the right fit you can get this passive recharge to go damn fast and keep you alive without relying on cap.

-Shields also add no weight to your ship, so this means you will always keep your speed and agility

-As shield mods take up mid slots you always have space for damage mods

-You can also fit shield boost amps which are just awesome cakes

All of these things really help with PVE action and is why caldari are really the race of choice for PVE, their uber tanks can keep them in the field wile they are also getting a good damage boost.

Armor
-Armor usually have more even damage resistant base and tends to be a bit tougher.

-Armor uses low slots and thus keeps your mids open for aggressive pvp mods, points, webs, damps etc (this is why armor ships are often used for pvp)

-Amarr are often a pvp race of choice due to their doing EM/Therm damage and also scorch (T2) ammo is super good, gives a great range bonus on pulse lasers.

These things are all very much PVP based although you can get by doing PVE (domi) and mission running it is better in shield based ships. But the main reason for the pvp use of armor is it opens your mid slots, with out points, webs you are not going to get very far killing things.

What you need to do is decide what you want to do in the game. If you want to get involved in gangs then armor is a good place to start as it helps with pvp. If you are more interested in PVE then shields will be more useful to start with. But remember, over time you can learn both!

Just get the OP'd Drake. The Northern Coalition have what they call "Drake armies" with literally hundreds of these Battlecruisers in a fight. Why use a Drake you may ask?
  1. You can do level 4 missions with them.
  2. You have 7 slots for heavy missile launchers and another slot for some other launcher type module. Your CPU and power grid probably won't have any room left so most people leave it empty.
  3. The thing tanks insane amounts. When you take 75% damage on a Drake shields, it goes into a super defense mode at it's highest passive shield recharge.
  4. The damage resists on the thing are pretty damn good.
  5. Missiles can fly out very far as in 60km+ far.

Drake.jpg

http://oeg-home***/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/16_500_by_oeg_kovad1.jpg

Here is a video I was part of when I was relatively new to 0.0. It still holds to this day as one of the most ass kicking things I have done in the game. Check out the video description for the battle report and more. At 7:29 I was being primary and died shortly after. I couldn't run because I was warp jammed and I had a aggression timer so I couldn't jump through the gate. Did not get podded though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-D6lPqN3oQ

Only way to defeat a Drake army is to have MOAR Drakes, you can quickly focus fire on one Drake and overload your weapons, or use smart bombs shown in "The Firewall" used by The Initiative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E9uVtP7IQ4&hd=1

Oh btw here is some funny Eve wallpapers: http://oeg-home***/blog/2010/01/eve-spaceships-art-hi-res/

Is focusing on PvE in the beginning more advantageous? And how do PvP matches work, do they occur more seldom? Do you earn more isk from either one?

Also, alt character, grandmas in space-

Yes drakes are one of the few decent combat ships of caldari but when you are that tanked you have no mid slots left for anything else.

Again, this is what makes the game interesting.... choices.

Is focusing on PvE in the beginning more advantageous? And how do PvP matches work, do they occur more seldom? Do you earn more isk from either one?
Opinions might differ, but tbh there is practically no money to be made from PvP. It's almost always a losing proposition unless you are a seasoned PvP god, and even then it probably only puts you narrowly in the black. For example, I boasted on the last page about killing a 1.3bil faction battleship, fitted with extremely rare and expensive mods. One of the dropped mods was worth 400m, a few others were worth 80m each. Even though there was only me and one other guy involved in the takedown, I made no money from the kill because the other guy scooped the loot from the wreck before me (deservedly so, and I didn't quibble about splitting it). Few victories are ever worth this much in isk terms, yet all I got was smiles and pride.

In my experience, most players make isk from mining, missioning (PvE) and industry, then blow it all having reckless laughs in PvP. The most you'll take home from PvP is the pride of a killmail (like the one linked) or a bruised ego more usually.

EDIT: I guess I left out the ways you can make money from PvP if you engage in piracy, griefing or mercenary services. There is plenty money in ganking haulers, ransoming ships, or wardeccing-&-extorting from carebears.

PvE, though, has lots of cash potential. If you build up your standing with an NPC corp so that you can run level 4 missions, then you can potentially be making 20-40m isk within 40 minutes in bounties, rewards, loot and salvage, depending on the mission.

Other PvE comes from 'exploration'. You can use probes to scan down exploration sites and 'deadspace' complexes, which play similarly to missions but are lucrative in terms of the items that can be found: faction loot worth many millions (from complexes), valuable trinkets which can be unlocked with codebreaker modules (from other exploration sites), etc. The best of these are in lowsec and nullsec, but there are still many millions of isk to be made from these in highsec. Here's an exploration tutorial on how to find such sites (although the author focusses on locating Wormholes, the principle is the same): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwBqnXruZuo

But are PvE games mostly lone work or do people often cooperate on jobs?

It depends in Eve. I still need to take you on a decent mission.

Because obviously there would be no point in strengthening logistics in the long run if I don't end up doing a decent amount of cooperative play. Pretty much the primary drive for me maybe subscribing to EVE more is the possibility of eventually working with a group of people on a somewhat regular basis. If that sort of team work/buddy work is rare, I don't much see the point in playing the game.

lots of teamwork to be had in eve, from my limited experience, you can't do much of anything without a group

Apart from PvE :p PvE in Eve is mostly solo work, or should be because it's a waste of money to involve too many people in something that can easily be done solo.

The new Incursions are an attempt by CCP to foster some more group based PvE, but the stories I'm hearing about them make them seem so obscenely tough as to be discouraging. I guess wormhole NPCs ('Sleepers') are best tackled with at least one other person around, and wormholes take a bit of a group effort to farm in general, but the sites can also frequently be solo'ed. Level 5 missions are group-suited but really not very many people run those.

PvP is where all the teamwork is. Certainly it's where logistic ships are most needed. There's no shortage of PvP opportunity in the game, either.

Drakes are effective but boring as shit to fly.

You can try making a courier contract to have someone move your shit around for pay.

Logistics are mostly for PvP but the group PvE can use them too - level 5 missons, 9/10 and 10/10 plexes, and Sansha Incursions.

Drakes are effective but boring as shit to fly.

You can try making a courier contract to have someone move your shit around for pay.

Logistics are mostly for PvP but the group PvE can use them too - level 5 missons, 9/10 and 10/10 plexes, and Sansha Incursions.
Drakes are plenty of fun, and the best thing is that noobs can get into them extremely quickly and easily. That's one reason why they became really big in the NC.

Drakes are no fun at all. You can't move anywhere fast and they do marginal damage. The tank is their only selling point. They are good for pvp, however, since they have enough midslots for a huge buffer as well as full tackle.

I am no where near being able to purchase a Drake anyways. I think my next stop might be an Osprey? I'm kind of digging the stats, and it's shield abilities, plus it's really cheap...

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Osprey

The only thing I don't understand is what sort of weapons you can fit to it. I've never used drones, aren't they used for attacking?

I remember the Osprey. It was my first semi-decent mining boat!!

Also, getting a Drake takes no time at all. It's flying it properly that takes time. And take it from me, it is boring as shit. It does feel good to survive shit though!

*EDIT* are you PvEing? I think you'd be better off with the Caracal if you're out killing shit.

What exactly makes one ship more boring than another?

Back