Our system rawks!

if theres anything wrong with the system, its the lack of unified voting machines. people using punch cards is blasphemy, people not knowing how to use electronics is blasphemy. but... the article even states that this wouldent have changed the election, so im not going to lose any sleep about it. hopefully these issues are dealt with.

It was a number of 'errors' like this that got him elected first time round.
And counting illegal votes too.
And halting the counting of votes in Florida - (Gore seemed to be winning during the recount so the supreme court ordered the vote be stopped on grounds that it would cause damage to the presidents reputation).
Gore won the last election.
Tomorow I will be willing to give you evidence for this, but its 5:30 in the morning here n I'm tired ;( there might be something on Google about it.

The voting system needs looking at.

Night folks!

gh0st said:
if theres anything wrong with the system, its the lack of unified voting machines. people using punch cards is blasphemy, people not knowing how to use electronics is blasphemy. but... the article even states that this wouldent have changed the election, so im not going to lose any sleep about it. hopefully these issues are dealt with.

I agree with you gh0st, we need unified voting machines in every state. All machines should be exactly the same. I also believe we should be given a reciept when we vote to reassure ourselves that our vote was correct and counted.

(and no i'm not claiming he stole another election, just bringing this topic to light)

If you are expecting a vote of 120 million people to go perfectly smooth, then you are always going to be disappointed.

FYI- In Milwaukee, Kerry supporters slashed the tires of 30 vans used to ferry Bush supporters to and from the polls. Its not like either side is completely innocent.

Also FYI in florida bush supporters put fliers on minority voters cars telling them there polling places had changed sending them somewhere completely different where they could not vote. And no, neither side is innocent, thats why I am pointing to our system, it sucks, it needs reform.

Also FYI in florida bush supporters put fliers on minority voters cars telling them there polling places had changed sending them somewhere completely different where they could not vote. And no, neither side is innocent, thats why I am pointing to our system, it sucks, it needs reform.
How do you reform a system with 120 million people overnight? Where will the money for these new machines come from?

seinfeldrules said:
How do you reform a system with 120 million people overnight? Where will the money for these new machines come from?
its not a matter of money or logistics, it simply needs more standardization, to lessen the chance of people being disenfranchised.

edit: no one said overnight.

No not overnight, it would take time. But as mentioned, a unified voting system (all one type of machine, all one type of ballot). A better way of calculating provisionals, absentees etc. And I also believe an electoral college reform couldn't hurt.

the electoral college could use a reform. i understand the need for it in the early years of our country but now its not so much an issue of "states rights" as it is the individual voters rights. as it is right now, someone in idahos vote does not count the same as someone in new york, which isnt fair.

And I also believe an electoral college reform couldn't hurt.
To what? The popular vote? If that were the case you would see canidates only traveling to cities. The inner states would be ignored and so would many of the northern ones. The current system may need minor tweaking, but I dont think anything drastic is needed.

seinfeldrules said:
To what? The popular vote? If that were the case you would see canidates only traveling to cities. The inner states would be ignored and so would many of the northern ones. The current system may need minor tweaking, but I dont think anything drastic is needed.
how many candidates do you see traveling to boise (to continue my example) right now? they travel to swing states, and they spend most of their time in the cities now because they are centers of population, thus more votes for them.

gh0st said:
how many candidates do you see traveling to boise (to continue my example) right now? they travel to swing states, and they spend most of their time in the cities now because they are centers of population, thus more votes for them.

Well, Bush was in my town once and the one to the right of me twice. Kerry visited once or twice in between these towns too. I just dont see a popular vote working out correctly.

seinfeldrules said:
Well, Bush was in my town once and the one to the right of me twice. Kerry visited once or twice in between these towns too. I just dont see a popular vote working out correctly.
i see your point, i just dont see it making that big of a difference. i say we just give every state the same value (something weird, like 3.14) and that way theres not likely to be a tie and everyones vote will have counted the same.

Wow, oddly enough I think me and gh0st agree on something political :) lol

Our system only rawks when people dont complain about it. If this is all about trying to reassign Bush's and Kerries number, lets remind ourselves that not a single lawyer touched this issue.

Nobody sued, or said it was wrong. If supporters of such which to force this issue where it did'nt go before, thats not fine by me. What it means, is these people can still have a babies hold on whats already happened.

Numbers can go a lot of places, and numbers are easy to subtract or add too. The electoral votes, or popular vote, has already been decided. They cant exactly edit 3-10 million people's votes, without going against the system altogether.

Back