Passion of the Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat_thetic

Reaction score
Anybody seen it? I don't plan on it, however having christian family and being an athiest I'll probably be forced to.

I'm expecting an opinion so I can see it.
So far everybody tells me it involves lots of blood.....

Kubrick2001 said:
I'm expecting an opinion so I can see it.
So far everybody tells me it involves lots of blood.....
lots of blood is an understatement from what i've seen and heard

ya... i wanna see it... god is kool! :angel:

Ya, I heard a few people walked out because it was so violent.

pat_thetic said:
Ya, I heard a few people walked out because it was so violent.

People are too sheltered... get over it, violence is reality so BAH!!!

Anyhow I hope it turns out good, and im glad Mel Gibson did not tone down the crucifiction, because I can guarentee you that involved ALOT of blood.

hey, if your an aethist, look at it from the historicle viewpoint. It's historically proven Jesus was crusified, so look at it from the angle of just how punishment used to be...

*Shivers*
I doubt I would have survived the scurging...

A2597 said:
hey, if your an aethist, look at it from the historicle viewpoint. It's historically proven Jesus was crusified, so look at it from the angle of just how punishment used to be...

*Shivers*

I think I woulda just tried to jump one of the guards just so they would kill me quick. I hate torture... I cant imagine what it would be like.

A2597 said:

*Shivers*
i don't think jesus is hostorically proven at all. The dead sea scrolls tend to shed an interesting light on that.

I hope it's just an objective view of what happened, without christian opinions being pushed in your face.

Marijn said:
The dead sea scrolls

Isn't that something out of Lord of the Rings?

That said, there's a bunch of Christians lobbying for the movie to be accesable to under-16's, for the historical and religious value and whatnot. So... now Christians are okay with violence. Ugh, people are stupid :angry:

PvtRyan said:
I hope it's just an objective view of what happened, without christian opinions being pushed in your face.

Well apparently it's recieving criticism for being anti-sematical or something... is that a religion?

/me googles it.

Edit - http://www.sematic.com/ - John Titor says "God invented the elevator".

Actually it was Semitic, here's something I found -

Some Jewish leaders say the movie could result in anti-Semitism, reviving the notion that Jews collectively were responsible for the death of Christ.

Hmm, interesting. All this aside...

Blood? Check. Me movie go now see :dork:

It was accused of anti-semitism b/c it contained a line from Jesus that was removed from the description on the Old Testament after the 2nd Vatican Council, that removed it for being a Nazi justification.

It said that the blood of Jesus that fell on the hand of a jew "traitor" would forever scorge the hands of the sons of David (jewish ppl). So it basically blaimed the Jewish for killing Jesus and the Nazis used that as an excuse in the "Final Solution".

Gibson is part of a church that holds all the original stuff (very conservative ppl), so he tryed to maintain that, since they're against these "changes" caused by man in the Words of God.

PvtRyan said:

Its a film, you don't have to see it. Not everything has to be made to your exacting standards.

And yes bad^hat, people are stupid...

Oh no, a movie based on a literal interperitation of the bible might be slightly anit-semitic.

<sarcasm> Well, thats a surprise </sarcasm>

Has anyone here read the book? Uncle Shylock isnt exactally made out to be the nicest guy in that either.

As always, I reserve judgement until I have actually seen the movie. Its just that if it does end up seeming anti-semitic I wont be terribly surprised or shocked.

put somesugar on me, i'm hot sticky sweet!

/ontopic I wanna see it b4 opinion

Looks like a movie I'd absolutely hate to have to sit through, so no.

I've just written a looooooong mail to my latin-teacher and told her that I think we should see this film instead of a Hollywood blockbuster such as Troy. Troy looks like one of those movies where all the girls who go watch it is because of Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt...and maybe Eric Bana...

Farrowlesparrow said:
Its a film, you don't have to see it. Not everything has to be made to your exacting standards.

And yes bad^hat, people are stupid...

If it does try to force it's opinion on me, then I won't see it no.

PvtRyan said:
If it does try to force it's opinion on me, then I won't see it no.

Good Lord! You sound like the biggest cry-baby, ever!
"force it's opinion on me. WAAAHHHH!!!"
How old are you? Please, do grow up. And, if it does offend you, don't make America (being that you are an American)look anymore stupid by sueing Mel Gibson, like all of the other babies that were offended. No one is twisting your arm to see it. So, from the way you sound, I say you shouldn't see it.

What's really sad is that Mel himself said that "message" was not the meaning, that it was not the Jews' sole fault - that we all nailed Jesus to the Cross; Jews and Gentiles. I can't form an opinion until I see it, but I think these ramblings of anti-semitism will only be manifested by some scum-racists using it as an excuse, not by your average Christian.

Frank said:
Yes, agreed...and so is religion

Do you people always have to start fights, and makes such petty comments?
No one attacked you, so why are you attacking the religious?

GhostValkyrie said:
Do you people always have to start fights, and makes such petty comments?
No one attacked you, so why are you attacking the religious?

I don't wanna start another fight about religion, but has religion ever led to anything good?

Frank said:
I don't wanna start another fight about religion, but has religion ever led to anything good?

Yes, it certainly has.
I don't want to fight, either.

Why all the hostility? You're calling me a baby, but you're the one screaming. :dozey:
Why should I 'grow up' while you're obviously not able to take some criticism.

Is it so wrong that I don't wanna see a movie that's trying to tell me what's wrong and right? I'm just not interested in all that religious bullshit, so I won't see it. I would if it's just an objective view of Jesus' life in a documentary kind of way. But I'm sorry I'm not interested in a movie which is up to it's elbow in the church' ass.
And why the hell are you talking about suing Gibson? Why would I want to sue him? I'm just not interested in Jesus hugging religious movies, so SUE ME.

GhostValkyrie said:
Yes, it certainly has.
I don't want to fight, either.

No, fight and no insults...just discussion, okay?

What about the war going on and always has been going between Israel and Palestine? Two different religions has made a war kill eachother for centuries and they are not a near an agreement, right?

Frank said:
Yes, agreed...and so is religion

Its not stupid, its not smart it just...is.

Peoples inability to get along has caused the war, not the fact they are religious. Being a Jew doesnt automatically make you want to kill arabs.

PvtRyan said:
Why all the hostility? You're calling me a baby, but you're the one screaming. :dozey:
Why should I 'grow up' while you're obviously not able to take some criticism.

Is it so wrong that I don't wanna see a movie that's trying to tell me what's wrong and right? I'm just not interested in all that religious bullshit, so I won't see it. I would if it's just an objective view of Jesus' life in a documentary kind of way. But I'm sorry I'm not interested in a movie which is up to it's elbow in the church' ass.
And why the hell are you talking about suing Gibson? Why would I want to sue him? I'm just not interested in Jesus hugging religious movies, so SUE ME.

Because people have been sueing Mel Gibson. Sorry, but this whole thing with people calling him names, and sueing him really has gotten to me. All he wanted to do was make a movie about Jesus, but due to the cynical times we live in, the general non-christian public can't stomach it. I'm sorry I got mad at you, but no one is forcing you to view it. I think you should probably wait for the reviews. But, from what been indicated, it sticks to the Bible.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Its not stupid, its not smart it just...is.

Peoples inability to get along has caused the war, not the fact they are religious. Being a Jew doesnt automatically make you want to kill arabs.

Of course not, but it's a fact that they kill eachother because of their two religions and because they can't get a long...

If it wasnt religion it would be something else. You cannot simply blame their faith for the problem.

Frank said:
No, fight and no insults...just discussion, okay?

What about the war going on and always has been going between Israel and Palestine? Two different religions has made a war kill eachother for centuries and they are not a near an agreement, right?

The Isrealis are trying to survive in the middle of a hotbed of enemies. They're surrounded by enemy nations, and are being attacked constantly by Suicide Bombers. And, when they try to defend themselves, the UN criticizes them. I don't think either of their religions told them to make war with eachother, not even the Muslims. But, I believe that radical Muslim Terrorists, and others who paint a twisted view on history have been causing the conflict.

GhostValkyrie said:
Because people have been sueing Mel Gibson. Sorry, but this whole thing with people calling him names, and sueing him really has gotten to me. All he wanted to do was make a movie about Jesus, but due to the cynical times we live in, the general non-christian public can't stomach it. I'm sorry I got mad at you, but no one is forcing you to view it. I think you should probably wait for the reviews. But, from what been indicated, it sticks to the Bible.

Ok. Apology accepted. Only point I was trying to make I wasn't interested in the movie which is probably highly religious because I'm not religious, so it has absolutely no meaning to me. On the other hand, if it were just an objective view of Jesus' life, I would have more interest. :)

I'm not planning on seeing it, but I'll probably just buy a ticket anyway to support Gibson.

He really did what he believed in and quite possibly created a masterpiece, that's the kind of moviemaking we need more of. Guy's got chutzpah standing up to cencorship of his artwork,
most people would've caved.

I almost died of laughter when the local news did a story on that movie. They said that "bringing young children (under 17 I'm guessing) should be treated as child abuse" Is that not absurd?

I can picture it now. I small family with two 14 year old just exit the theater after seeing "Christ ...." (forgot the title) and a squad of cops jump on the parents, cuff em and drive em down to the police station to be charged for child abuse. Meanwhile, the 14 year old say, "Ehh, I've seen Glatiator, so what's this all about?"

Honestly, the media is a plague that need to be washed clean. I just can't stand it. Do they purposly say these things to get people pissed?

Where did reason and common sense go? If the movie looks icky, don't see it! People pay money to see this movie and then they complain about it afterwards because it's "to anti - semitism." Does it really matter? It's a god damn movie! Sorry, I've rambled myself content =)

Oh Gladiator was awsome in all is blood and gore! Oh boy, but when you start gettin Jesus involved, balls get broken =)

You know the actor who plays Jesus was struck by lightening when they were putting him up on the cross for the scene.

I'll probably end up seeing it since I think it'll be interesting.

Good grief ghostvalkyrie get your facts straight on Israel/Palestine and the U.N. before saying stuff like that:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ngo/history.html

What do you have agaisnt the U.N.? Maybe you don't know enough about it?

http://www.un.org/aboutun/index.html

"The name "United Nations", coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was first used in the "Declaration by United Nations" of 1 January 1942, during the Second World War, when representatives of 26 nations pledged their Governments to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers."

Fighting the AXIS POWERS yeah sounds like they really hate jews...
Here is a little FDR for you as well:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/fr32.html
(better track record than the current, so before dissing the UN, do some research)

ON TOPIC:
I plan to see this movie, I have heard many good things about it, and I really want to see it. Whether it will educate me or not is still to be seen, but I think everyone should get an idea of the struggle that had taken place and what makes people believe so faithfully in what they do. Whether you believe or not.

Pressure said:
You know the actor who plays Jesus was struck by lightening when they were putting him up on the cross for the scene.

I'll probably end up seeing it since I think it'll be interesting.

I heard that lightning struck the set 2 or 3 times but I dont think HE got struck... uhm I doubt he woulda survived for starters and secondly I doubt he woulda been ok to keep filming....

Deadline said:
I heard that lightning struck the set 2 or 3 times but I dont think HE got struck... uhm I doubt he woulda survived for starters and secondly I doubt he woulda been ok to keep filming....
I read he was actually struck... plus got pneumonia of the spinal cord. :O

Innervision961 said:
Good grief ghostvalkyrie get your facts straight on Israel/Palestine and the U.N. before saying stuff like that:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ngo/history.html

What do you have agaisnt the U.N.? Maybe you don't know enough about it?

http://www.un.org/aboutun/index.html

"The name "United Nations", coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was first used in the "Declaration by United Nations" of 1 January 1942, during the Second World War, when representatives of 26 nations pledged their Governments to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers."

Fighting the AXIS POWERS yeah sounds like they really hate jews...
Here is a little FDR for you as well:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/fr32.html
(better track record than the current, so before dissing the UN, do some research)

This isn't about World War II, this is about now. Don't bring up my Gandfather's war, you bring up what's on the tv, okay?

What's on the TV is how many resolutions to support Isreal have been coming down to every nation in the UN to two. Those two being the US and Israel. What's on the TV is that many people in my country are stating Israel is to blame. A bunch of stupid brat-kids that want to look cool and rebel. Sorry, but that's all they're trying to do. If they had any inkling as to how nearly 1,000 Civilian Israels have been taken out by bombers in the last 23 months, they'd shut the hell up. Yeah, Civilian Palestinians have died, but only at the hands of the Israel military fighting back at the terrorists. Even during the Peace talks, when Israel was holding back their military efforts, bombs were still going off in the West Bank. I also don't like Russia's influence in the UN. And how they've mounted successful support against the US, even after the many times they have walked out on the UN, ala the Cold War. I don't like Putin's severe influence over what the people of Russia do, they're unnecessary demoliton of churches, mosques, and synagogues all across Russia...demolitions with no apparent reason. I have friends from Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Maldova. Mr. Reak is a great guy, and I enjoy talking to him. But I don't like Russia one bit. It's on the verge of reverting to Communism, and the grip of the KGB(FSB now) is ominous. I also don't like the UN because I think it's a stepping stone for a one world govt., something I am very opposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back