permanent auto fire for sentries?

magu

Reaction score
I don't play a lot engie nowadays but I always though it would be fun to have two fire modes added.

1) mark a target (for instance exit of a building) and turn on permanent fire. meaning sentry fires permanent until ammo runs out or cancelled by engie.

2) be able to mark an enemy as primary target, especially if there are many enemies charging it might come in handy to take out the medics first...

what you think?
I know... just dreaming...

cheers
magu

That would absolutely ruin the game balance.

Yeah Sentries shouldn't have that kind of intelligence, even due to it being via a player's input.

I don't think it would destroy game balance.
Just add some tactics.

of course permanent fire also means that a sentry does not auto target enemies anymore. Once you pass the line of fire you are fine.

And targeting certain enemies would be like a special skill for engineer, and also then, the sentry should not auto target any other enemies until job done.

permanent fire would be very useful to block certain ways for spies though.

It'd kill the fun of being an engineer, so I have a better sacrifice: This thread. =)

blocking ways for spies to pass undetected is changing game balance???

i have seen often heavies standing next to a dispenser and using permanent fire to detect if any cloaked spy tried to pass.

So what?

Beside this I can not see how MORE OPTIONS could possibly kill the fun to be Engie.
(I think the way it is engie is dead boring thats why I don't play this class much anymore)

i have seen often heavies standing next to a dispenser and using permanent fire to detect if any cloaked spy tried to pass.

So what?
A pyro can do the same thing, the point is that that still has disadvantages. On defencive maps like Dustbowl or Gravelpit it sacrifices mobility, on other maps it sacrifices offencive power. Even if the advantages outweigh the downsides it uses team work rather than one Engineer being able to possibly prevent a whole team from passing. That kind of permanent attack in the right area has no weakness - soldiers and demomen can't attack it in what would be the lockon time, uber's are pushed back the second they step around the corner and spies can't get through as you pointed out. It also adds an extra layer of complexity to class in a game which keeps things simple but allows more advanced and complex team work strategies.

(I think the way it is engie is dead boring thats why I don't play this class much anymore)
If not properly used every class can be boring.

i would rather control the sentry via the dispenser or some type of controller.

Engineers aren't boring, it's actually my favSPY'S SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY!!oh ffs, brb.

bad idea, think about how hard it would be to 'target' enemies..and what would u use to do it.

the only thing sentries need is what FF did, and that's for the engineer to tell them where to look.

It's stupid that if I build an SG up high, it'll still scan at it's level, it needs to be look down!

That wouldn't ruin any game balance. Of course people will probably say it will...but those same people would say anything will ruin the balance.

Quite a lot of the balance from sentries comes from the swivel time.

Quite a lot of the balance from sentries comes from the swivel time.

and it would still swivel back and forth, you'd just be telling it where to look on the up/down axis.

And since 85% of the time sentries are attacking people on their level anyway, it's not like it's going to unbalance the game.

They actually tend to get locked on whatever level they point on the up/down axis after they target there once, did you know?

Rofl Xendance... Jump on top of it before combat-wrenching it then.

I too have felt that annoyance with the default vertical angle. Yes the turret will keep looking downwards for 10-20 seconds after having seen a target at that angle, but it eventually resets back to default orientation.

Often, turrets in high places are there for the ambush value, and that is often lost with the extra delay from vertical swivel.

Such features would never be used and they'd bog down what is already an incredibly intuitive play experience.

Such features would never be used and they'd bog down what is already an incredibly intuitive play experience.

plus the ammo supply runs down fast, and you'd run out of supplies in your dispenser, and you'd have to run back & forth constantly from the supply room.

Back