Plane crashes with pilot slumped on seat... in greece

KoreBolteR

Tank
Reaction score
A Cypriot passenger plane carrying at least 121 people has crashed near Athens moments after losing radio contact with air traffic control.
Greek F-16 fighter jets scrambled to locate the plane reported seeing one pilot slumped in his seat, but could not see the plane's second pilot.

The Helios Airways plane, travelling from Larnaca, Cyprus, crashed in hills just north of the Greek capital.

A rescue helicopter dispatched to the site has not reported any survivors.

The head of air traffic control at Athens airport, Iannis Pantazaratos, told AFP they had no idea who was flying the plane.

"The airport lost all contact with the plane which should have landed in the late morning, and two air force planes sent up in reconnaissance found it flying above the Euboea peninsula, but they saw the pilots doubled up in the cabin," he said.

Rescue effort

Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis cut short a holiday on the island of Tinos to return to Athens.

Police and military helicopters were sent to the scene, with dozens of ambulances also reportedly on their way.

One eyewitness, Dimitris Karezas, told the Reuters news agency he saw the plane being followed by fighter jets.

"Two, three minutes later I heard a big bang and ever since I've started looking for it, but I have not found anything yet," he said.

Helios Airways was founded in 1999 as Cyprus' first independent airline.

It operates a fleet of Boeing 737 jets between Cyprus and London, Athens, Sofia, Dublin and Strasbourg in France.

HELIOS AIRWAYS
  • 1999: Established as first independent airline in Cyprus
  • 2000: First chartered flight
  • 2001: First scheduled flight
  • Flies to UK, Strasbourg, Sofia, Athens, Dublin, Warsaw and Prague
  • Operates four Boeing 737 planes

Article From BBC

hmm, so the 2 pilots in the cockpit suffocated and the passengers didnt. thats impossible. the f-16 pilots saw the pilot slumped and the other one out of his seat while looking in before it crashed. wonder what the full story is....

The terrorists did it! [/fear mongering]

The Americans are fully responsible! [/retardness]

i think it might have been an oxygen or pressure problem.

weird as it it tho, only the pilots dropped unconscious because of it... so i heared... :(

surely if the pilots were affected the passengers would be aswell! :S this is a mystery

Sky News said:
Greek police said there was no indication the plane had been hijacked.

Plane crashed into a mountain northeast of Athens

"It's the worst accident we've ever had," airline safety officer Akrivos Tsolakis said.

"There apparently was a lack of oxygen which is usually the case when the cabin is depressurized."

Flight number HCY522 was flying from Lanarca in Cyprus to Athens when it crashed onto a mountain on the Evvoia peninsula.

The Boeing 737 came down at about 0920GMT near the coastal town of Kalamos, about 40 kilometres north of Athens.

update

Maybe the passangers had oxygen masks on?

surely the pilots could have done that too....

the passengers only complained the plane was freezing and that they saw the pilot, and that his face was blue.....

Oh, its on the news. Quite small though, it was on the last.

They did find some oxygen masks.

Even if one pilot leaves the cockpit its regulation for the other pilot to then go onto oxygen.

It sounds like there was a rapid loss of cabin pressure. I heard on the radio and it sounds like it must have been pretty dramatic the whole event leading up to the crash.

absolutely horrible ..the pilots who witnessed the commercial plane go down must be traumatised

dam everytime I hear about this plane crash more fear I got :(

They had something like 3 inches on this on page 40 in the papers. Apparently they don't care about Greece very much :/

JellyWorld said:
They had something like 3 inches on this on page 40 in the papers. Apparently they don't care about Greece very much :/
It was on the front page of the paper I read (Toronto Star). Just goes to show how different many newspapers are.

Back