Planetside Next to launch March 2011

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
I didnt even know they were working on a sequel:

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."

As for why it's called Planetside Next, it appears that Smedley might have learned something from his signature franchise. "We don't have the official name for it. Planetside Next is kind of the working title," Smedley said.

cautious optimism as SOE hasnt had a good track record since ...well planetside

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring

SoE was asking for player feedback in September, I believe. So it's been in the works for at least that long, although March is a really short time away. I wonder if there'll be sufficient marketing time. I used to be really active on the PS boards, talking with the devs all the time, and those boards were open a loooooooooooooooooong before launch. This is three months away.

Anyway if it's Planetside they better put the goddamn Jawa in this time because it's gonna be 2011 and I know they've got the technology now.

God, I spent probably 3 years of my life on that game. I was Emerald TR in a shitty outfit called Dark Skyes and it took me a ****long time to get to 25/5 because I sucked with the MCG. Also plenty of butthurt assholes and trolls on that game, but the community was great nonetheless.

Planetside was my first MMO, granted I didn't play it for very long, six months or so, but I really liked it.

Will be fun to try the sequel when it comes out, assuming it can run on my PC.

No way! There hasn't been a solid week gone by in my life that I haven't had some thought and corresponding awesome memory of Planetside. The game itself wasn't all that wild or complex, but it's full of those awesome moments that glue themselves in your mind. Kind of the same thing that happens with STALKER. There was really never anything wrong with the game and I'd probably still be playing it if those memorable moments were closer together. It got to the point that you'd either be in a situation with little or no opposition or such an overwhelming force that there was barely even a point in fighting... but those times when it was just an all around battle with explosions and carnage everywhere... that was awesome.

I can only hope this captures the good parts and adds in some reasonable strategy/tactical elements that are fun and hopefully add something to give it more depth than just earning new certifications.

Edit: I really really hope it doesn't come out in March of next year. Even if they started beta TODAY that's not even 4 months of testing. SOE has plenty of MMO experience but I still don't trust something without much beta.

Beta coming soon.

In other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it.

Source

****, I should resub and get my character leveling up again at some Tower of Power or something like that. Maybe go on a gen-blowing spree or something.

Screw you Ace, it's all about the NC

Back