Play is infected in the Demo

Mutley

Tank
Reaction score
Please note that this does require the server, or local server to have sv_cheats set to 1. From there, the rest is relatively easy. Once the game has loaded up, open up your game console and type, "ent_fire !self setteam 3". This will set you as joining the Infected side. From there, enter in "ghost" and you should respawn as a Boss Infected! Otherwise, you can force a Boss to spawn using the following commands.
z_spawn boomer
z_spawn tank
z_spawn hunter
z_spawn smoker
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42841/Play-as-The-Infected-in-the-Left-4-Dead-Demo

Edit: Just noticed it's in the HL2.net news, sowwy. :(

We can leave it here too thats fine.

Also good to point out: director_force_versus_start 1 (starts the survivors moving through the map) respawn_all (respawns all survivors).

Also if you're interested in some local co-op - Play L4D split screen locally

No way! Split screen on PC, that's frikken awesome.

I will try that tomorrow.

Hmm, after trying it out, I have a feeling it's definitely not gonna be fun to play as infected.

Die in half a second of focused fire, and wait for 15-20 seconds to respawn.

Tank is easymode, I felt lame for simply having 8000 health points.

It's crits all over again!

Yeah you can spawn a billion witches or tanks and watch what happens. I like the Infected side more than the Survivor side. I knew that from the start cause I'm devious like that. :p *It's almost impossible to kill a Survivor though or get near them. They do everything I do wrong, namely stick together. I learn a lot from the AI.

Yeah you can spawn a billion witches or tanks and watch what happens. I like the Infected side more than the Survivor side. I knew that from the start cause I'm devious like that. :p *It's almost impossible to kill a Survivor though or get near them. They do everything I do wrong, namely stick together. I learn a lot from the AI.

When we were trying it out earlier, I spawned nearly 50 witches in this hallway. It was brilliant fun, and when one woke up, they all woke up. One more could have damn near crashed the server. :D

I can't get my console to work ingame, I got it enabled but it still won't show up.

Right now I use the launch option -console and it works but as soon as I do anything on the menu it disperse and I have to restart the game to get it up again... Help?

You may try just enabling the console through the options menu under Keyboard.

Delete your config then retry or just redownload the whole demo.

Does this not work anymore? I couldn't seem to get to play as Infected. :(

No, they fixed it with the new update and the public release. 'tis a shame, but it's only a week to wait.

Nope, they fixed it. You can only spawn stuff in single player, but not play as infected.

Edit: Druckles/ZT Telepathy.

oh well at least we got to try as infected for a little before they made the fix, the game is brilliant

anyone who managed to play the infected...how exactly does the smoker's tongue work?

do you have to remain stationary while dragging in survivors? does it arc?

basically I'm curious as to how you would manage to to the hanging choke without simply getting shot.

Our new L4D section talks a bit about how the infected work, I wrote some of this yesterday after playing as the infected during the week - http://www.halflife2.net/left-4-dead/the-infected/

The smoker, I believe doesn't move when he is dragging his victim towards him. The tongue doesn't arc, the reticule where you aim is where it latches on. It pulls the victim towards you, and when at close range you can claw them to death. The constriction hurts them too. One issue is the recharge time for the tongue attack is quite long, just like the boomer vomit.

And to clarify the new updated has disabled the ability to play as the infected: see here

The Smoker's Tongue cooldown is painfully long. I hope they change that, because I think he might be my favorite zombie in the game.

I suppose it's to make up for the fact you can snare someone from hundreds of feet away. I can imagine him to be incredibly useful, but to newbies and people just starting to play him, including myself, it might not be worth the wait if you miss.

any way to cancel out of attacks in progress as hunter and smoker? e.g letting people go once their mates come to help?

this always kinda bothered me from the videos...it seems that once you pounce or snare a survivor you're locked into that position and just waiting for their friends to show up and give you a beating.

Yeah, I agree, they should get rid of that.

Back