Playing through FEAR, gotta question

MiccyNarc

Tank
Reaction score
I'm playing through FEAR, and so far have changed my pants twice, cowered in a corner 3 times, and exited the game about 50. So, I'm having a good time.

Now, I'd just like to know how far along I am and how many more times I can expect to exit the game.
I've just gotten past a part where another FEAR team member says "She's afraid of you", disappears and then you kill a bunch of baddies.

And who is talking inside your head? Is that fettel or that fear team dude?

Can't really remember what area you are referring to. What interval is it, and how does the area you are at look like?

Take it in spoiler tags if you need to.

Carrera, whoops forgot about those :p

Loke, I just got through the area called "Heavy Resistance"
Just got a radio message saying they (the enemy) are pulling out, after beating the big dude with lots of armor (the one in the demo

You are at Interval 3, and its 11 Intervals total. And it's a lot of scary moments you can look forward to. :)

Loke said:
You are at Interval 3, and its 11 Intervals total. And it's a lot of scary moments you can look forward to. :)
3?! THREE!?!?!?

I don't think I can do this :(

I've been taking my time with F.E.A.R. and have been playing for about a week now. I'm now on Interval 9, I think it is, but I don't see how people can find this that scary. Of course, there have been a few times I was surprised and jumped because of a flash of a creepy monster. Honestly, I've had more frights in Doom 3. Still, I love this game. The spectacular atmospheric feel and the use of bullet-time make up for it in spades.

MiccyNarc said:
3?! THREE!?!?!?

I don't think I can do this :(

Yes, you can! Put away your scariness and you'll see that you can do it. ;)

I made it through Doom 3 (well, took me almost half a year but still...), and I almost had a heart attack most of the time!

So fettel eats people to gain their memories? And he wants Alma for something but can't find her?
I've been taking my time with F.E.A.R. and have been playing for about a week now. I'm now on Interval 9, I think it is, but I don't see how people can find this that scary. Of course, there have been a few times I was surprised and jumped because of a flash of a creepy monster. Honestly, I've had more frights in Doom 3. Still, I love this game. The spectacular atmospheric feel and the use of bullet-time make up for it in spades.
I've noticed there are few BOO! scares, other than the flash of dead faces or whatever.
I'm getting used to people disappearing into thin air by now.
Now it's just the hallways and pools of blood that force you to move through them to progress in the level.
Oh and I had an idiot moment. I saw distortion in the air in a room with lots of pipes. Usually those distortions mean freaky moment so I dutifully walked up and waitied. Nothing.
So I started looking around, and followed the distortion to the source. I saw a control wheel on a pipe that was falling out. Me in a moment of brilliance decided that if I shot that wheel then the freaky part would start. Didn't cross my mind until after I loaded my last save that it may have been a gasleak. :(

bwahaha just you wait until you hit the ninjas...jesus! doom 3 is NOTHING compared to that area...saw a blur, was it a spike? was i seeing things? BAM! flash of lightning and theyre gone...too fast even in slow mo :E

ĐynastҰ said:
bwahaha just you wait until you hit the ninjas...jesus! doom 3 is NOTHING compared to that area...saw a blur, was it a spike? was i seeing things? BAM! flash of lightning and theyre gone...too fast even in slow mo :E
Yes, but GOD it is so SATISFYING to shotty them right the face :E, after which they do a backflip \0/

If you think it's scary now, just wait. Intervals 10 and 11 are the scariest. Totally freaked me out.

cold_Fusion said:
If you think it's scary now, just wait. Intervals 10 and 11 are the scariest. Totally freaked me out.
QFT. You'll shit your pants.

What level/interval am i at?
Im in an office & Alma starts crawling towards me on the floor. Man that sent shivvers down me, & i had to exit the game.

ĐynastҰ said:

At one point i meleed three in a row.. took no damage =P. It kills them in one hit... almost better than shotty... if you gots dah REEFLECKSEZ!

lister said:
What level/interval am i at?
Im in an office & Alma starts crawling towards me on the floor. Man that sent shivvers down me, & i had to exit the game.
Somewhere in fourth, I think. May be later, though.

alma doesnt really scare me anymore, what does is:
those freaky dream sequences where you go down those LONG halls with blood, especcialy the one in the elevator :x

also, about the voices
some of them seem to be from fettel, but earlier in the game, where you see jankowaski (your teammate guy that you see a few times in the beginning) you seem to hear him say repeatedly while followin him as he dissapears "is someone there?" In my opinion, i think he died because you see him walking around after following him, a bunch of bloody skeletons (about 4 or 5) on the ground, where his position was supposed to be, and you also see him walking around dead alot, and his face flash by.

phew, finnaly done typing that, and yea its a creepy game :D

I was disappointed at how not freaky FEAR was.

The last level and one or two moments in the office building are really good though.

Especially when she's on the otherside of the glass, looking at you and you're expecting her to disappear :x

Sparta said:
Especially when she's on the otherside of the glass, looking at you and you're expecting her to disappear :x
Yeah man, that one was really like, "WTF? Why won't she away D: D: D:"

I thought interval 10-11 wasn't very scary and maybe even boring.

Especially all those ghosts you had to kill on the way out.

bam23 said:
I thought interval 10-11 wasn't very scary and maybe even boring.

Especially all those ghosts you had to kill on the way out.
Dude, I ****ing flipped whenever I saw those holes opening. I just started spraying hysterically into them and paused the game for five minutes to catch up on my breath.

When Alma is on the other side of the glass I was afraid to move until she dissapeared, but she wasn't and I jumped around the corner unloading like crazy

Don't put your fear away when you play this game. If you go to a movie theater to watch a scary movie and go in thinking "I'm not gonna let this game scare me," you probably won't be scared and will have wasted your time and money. Same for scary games. Turn the lights out, maybe light a candle, get that 7.1 surround going and give the author some artistic license. My girlfriend and I had a wonderfully scary time playing/watching this game. I dropped the mouse at least twice, my girlfriend shrieked or groaned a number of times and I had goose bumps throughout much of the game. Doom 3 was more "boo" scary. While this game had it's "boo" moments, much of it was sheer creepiness. Let the artist take you for a ride, lest you find out you wasted $50.

^^ I agree completely (although i didn't have the guts to turn the lights out xD) I found the game quite eerie. Whereas doom used the cheap "monster jump out" scare technique, F.E.A.R really did a great job of building an eerie and edgy atmosphere, so not necessarily making you jump every time you round a corner, but keeping you on the edge of your seat and slighty uneasy. Great game, a little short, but a reasonable challenge (if not rather sporadic changes in enemy difficulty), but a great play and a good experience.

Beerdude26 said:
Dude, I ****ing flipped whenever I saw those holes opening. I just started spraying hysterically into them and paused the game for five minutes to catch up on my breath.
Sorry Beerend mate, but that post really made me laugh. :p

I think I'm going to buy F.E.A.R today, I enjoyed the demo, but:

Was disappointed it ended with that mech type-thing that crashed through the ceiling.

I wanted to fight that. :(

Adabiviak said:
Don't put your fear away when you play this game. If you go to a movie theater to watch a scary movie and go in thinking "I'm not gonna let this game scare me," you probably won't be scared and will have wasted your time and money. Same for scary games. Turn the lights out, maybe light a candle, get that 7.1 surround going and give the author some artistic license. My girlfriend and I had a wonderfully scary time playing/watching this game. I dropped the mouse at least twice, my girlfriend shrieked or groaned a number of times and I had goose bumps throughout much of the game. Doom 3 was more "boo" scary. While this game had it's "boo" moments, much of it was sheer creepiness. Let the artist take you for a ride, lest you find out you wasted $50.
Nah not true. At least for me anyway. I'll explain why.

I recently rented Thief 3 again and started The Shalebridge Cradle level. The first enemy i encountered in that level scared me more than the entirety of FEAR. And i played that level during the daytime, whereas the scariest moments of FEAR i played during the nighttime.

Both games i went in expecting to be scared, but there's only so much FPS's like FEAR can do to scare you.

I'm usually scared of most games (took me two months to get through 343 guilty spark and another 3 through the library), but F.E.A.R didn't really scare me much, surprisingly (apart from the assasins, they were seriously creepy). It was still damn fun though :p

This game really makes be feel badass.

There's just something about jumping down 20 feet then kicking a dude in the head.
Or launching into slow mow, jumping over a AC unit, and roundhouse kicking a dude in the face.

It's so much fun.

I was reading a Spanish text the other day and I noticed that 'alma' means soul... pretty interesting - before I make a complete ass of myself, I just need to make sure that the girl in the game is named Alma, right?

Frank said:
I was reading a Spanish text the other day and I noticed that 'alma' means soul... pretty interesting - before I make a complete ass of myself, I just need to make sure that the girl in the game is named Alma, right?

Nice find :thumbs: Indeed, her name is Alma.

Only thing that actually made me jump in my chair was when you're climbing in the elevator shaft.. and an elevator falls and almost takes your limbs off..

I just stood there staring at the wall..

i have to say that the part that almost made me shit my pants was when you where getting onto the ladder. you went to face the ladder then turned back to climb down and Alma was there...after a little scream i finished climbing down and i unloaded my gun at the spirit...

anyone else freaked out at the first dream sequence
where your in the hospital with blood on the floor, and the skeleton comes out and reaches its ARM at you? :eek:

I've stopped being scared by Alma and Fettel and the other FEAR member.

I'm used to them popping up and it's pretty obvious when Alma is going to appear.
Okay I'm going to take a gander at the rest of the plot (I'm in area 4 now)
I know Fettel was in the same experiment as Alma. I think also that you, the player, were in that experiment as well. The FEAR dude that pops up every now and then is related to the three of you some how. Maybe all 4 of you are related biologically. That's why Alma can't...or won't kill you. That's why Fettel didn't kill you when he had the chance. Am I right? Or am I an idiot? Thank ye :)

i never finished the game because i lost the saved games, and its too scary to play the entire thing again, whats the entire story of it? ive only gotten so far where the security guards attack you.

PunisherUSA said:
At one point i meleed three in a row.. took no damage =P. It kills them in one hit... almost better than shotty... if you gots dah REEFLECKSEZ!
The first time I fought them, I had almost no health and was completely out of ammo except a grenade. I meleed all of them before I found the ammo laying around the room. It was a badass moment. Took me two tries though, the first time the assholes snuck up on me...

I know Fettel was in the same experiment as Alma. I think also that you, the player, were in that experiment as well. The FEAR dude that pops up every now and then is related to the three of you some how. Maybe all 4 of you are related biologically. That's why Alma can't...or won't kill you. That's why Fettel didn't kill you when he had the chance. Am I right? Or am I an idiot? Thank ye :)

well you notice at the beginning of the game, you see people that have been killed walking around and their face flash across the screen and stuff. Well this is what happened to him, he and his team was killed (big pile of skeletons where his location was supposed to be) and you see him walking around and his face flashing across the screen

Back