Please help, anyone, I beg you

A

arthur_foster

Dear halflife.net, sorry to have to bother you with my problem. Also, I know this is sort of off-topic for a CS:S forum but I have been asking for help at different CS forums and various sites for days now and still haven't gotten any help and I'm begging you guys to let it slide and offer and any assistance you possibly can. I've been trying for days now to get CS 1.5 to work and I'm having no luck and am desperate. Believe me I really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Okay, here's the problem. I have installed Half-Life, Counter-Strike 1.5 and the HL patch called hl1110 I need in order to be able to play CS. These 3 files were .rar and so I had to use winRAR to extract them. I installed HL and it ran fine. Then I installed CS and it said there was a missing shortcut and it had to opened with hl.exe. When I click browse and find hl.exe and click ok it says this:

hl.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because WONAu_W95.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Since it said re-installing the application may fix the problem, I deleted both CS and HL and re-installed HL. Now when I open HL I get this same message. I have also tried to install the HL patch (hl1110) but when I install it and open the hl1110 installer it says to choose where to save it, and wherever I choose to save it it says "You are attempting to install Half-Life update into an invalid directory. Please install the update where Half-Life is installed. Installation will now exit."

Even if I try to save the hl1110 update in the folder where Half-Life is installed I still get this same message. A friend told me I need to install hl1110 first before I can play CS, but how can I install it if it won't install in the same folder as Half-Life?

Please help man, I'm so frustrated and annoyed at the moment, and I'm truly sorry to burden you with my problem but I would really appreciate any form of assistance right now. I'm begging you guys.
Thanks for your time,

~fresh.prince.

Okay, thanks. It's really stressing me out and I'm going crazy :p. Thanks for any help you can offer.

use Steam. those installers are archaic and installing CS would be pointless because you can only play online through Steam - the old WON system used before is now completely defunct.

http://www.steampowered.com/

Thanks for the response, but I want to play CS 1.5 with PodBot, not online, so the fact the the WON network no longer exists isn't a problem for me. Do you have any suggestions regarding fixing the installation problems I'm having with 1.5?

all i know is if u want to play offline even use steam... and podbot should work on steam right?

What exact cs 1.5 u installing where did u get it?

But you can't use steam with 1.5 can you? Yeah it's Counter-Strike 1.5 and I got it from a torrent, the files are all in .rar format and I open them with winRAR. There isn't a problem with the version I downloaded because I've downloaded alot of other CS 1.5 torrents and they all have this problem.

But you can't use steam with 1.5 can you? Yeah it's Counter-Strike 1.5 and I got it from a torrent, the files are all in .rar format and I open them with winRAR. There isn't a problem with the version I downloaded because I've downloaded alot of other CS 1.5 torrents and they all have this problem.
Arrr, I smell pirates!!

1 problem u say u downloaded 1.5 in a torrent 99% of game torrents dont work... and besides its ilegal

Isn't counterstrike 1.5 a free Half-life mod? How is that illegal?

Yes it is. Theres nothing that shows this isn't legit, just old.

The problem looks like you have installed the counter strike mod into the wrong directory. My memory on non steam is rusty, so if this doesn't work, come back.

First off do you have a particular reason to use 1.5? If not, get steam, add your half life key and get CS through steam (Should be free I think). you can then find an up to date bot, or even play online.

If you particually want CS1.5, try the following.
First, uninstall CS, half life etc.
Reinstall half life. Make a note of the directory you install it to
Install the patch. It should ask you where half life is installed. Point it to the directory you made a note of in step 2 :)
Install CS 1.5. If memory serves, you again need to tell it where the half life directory (bet your glad you made a note now eh?)

If that dosen't work, your a tad boned, as none of this is supported now, and online support will be hard to come by.

where did you download half life from btw?

Ok, I'll follow your advice, thanks Link. I'll be honest with you, I got the game off of a torrent off torrentportal.com, but this was merely because I could not find this game at ANY game shops in my city or anything. I always buy goods and do no steal from the artist or maker but in this case it was impossible. Had I found it online or in a games store, I would have bought it. I know you guys probably think it's wrong of me to do what I did, but I didn't really have an alternative.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll try what you suggested :)

Your going to have problems working with steam if you did download half life (Not counter strike, thats fine to download from torrent as it was free anyway) because your serial key won't work. However, you are in luck, because steam is selling half life for the low price of $9.95. If you buy it, you can get the latest version of counter strike and play online with real people (Trust me, far better than bots)

If you have steam installed and a broadband connection, simply click here, click purchase, pop in your card details and you'll have counter strike up and online with other players inside an hour.

Please note, now that we know you don't have a legal copy, people are very unlikly to help you on these boards if you are still stuck, however, if you get legit, we'll be happy to help you if you get stuck, which you won't anyway because steam will take care of everything for you.

Link knows what needs to be done. I remember people screaming about bringing WON back. What was so great about the color "ping" dots, and the long server refresh time?

Back