Please Rate My New Laptop.

LandStander

Reaction score
I just ordered this yesterday and would like to know what you guys think. I have a basic knowledge of computers but there is a lot I don't know. I'm mostly concerned with it's gaming capabilities. Thanks.

Display: 15.4" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD (720p) with Clearview Technology
System Lighting: Alienware? AlienFX? System Lighting - Indigo
Video/Graphics Card: 512MB NVIDIA? GeForce? 8800M GTX
Processor: Intel? Core? 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz (4MB Cache 800MHz FSB)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz ? 2 x 1024MB
Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium
System Drive: 200GB 7200RPM (16MB Cache)
Optical Drives: 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD?RW, CD-RW)
Wireless: Internal Intel? Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
Sound Card: Internal High-Definition Audio with surround sound
Keyboard Options: Exclusively Designed Non-Illuminated Keyboard

Very beastly

:)

Probably cost a pretty penny though i bet !

Very capable laptop. Is it an Alienware?

What sort of power does that graphics card give compared to normal graphic cards? Is it the equivalent of a normal GTX?

Probably cost a pretty penny though i bet !

Yeah almost 2700.

Very capable laptop. Is it an Alienware?

Yes.

What sort of power does that graphics card give compared to normal graphic cards? Is it the equivalent of a normal GTX?

I've read that it is the most powerful graphics card that can be run on a laptop.

I imagine you'll be towing a power adapter along for most of your rides.

I mainly bought it for when I go to Iraq so the majority of the time I'll have a socket nearby.

meh, pretty useless.

Care to explain?

Becuz it's alienware and only richfags buy alienware. /ignorant

Awesome laptop! :thumbs:

Alienware is well overpriced. My old laptop was a gaming one, Fujitsu Siemens. Alienware had the exact same model, but like 20% more expensive. Literally identical, from the same manufaturers.

Normally I would suggest people ask those types of questions before they buy, but in your case I'm just a little jealous... So yes it's good, it's basically a portable gaming desktop, and a beast at that. Probably isn't the best bang for the buck but if you can afford it then all the more to you.:thumbs:

ram could be better actually, but that's about it.

That's one monster of a laptop! I don't think I ever saw a thing as powerful as that in life.

That's good to know guys. I guess it's a new model and upgrading it can get really really expensive so I just opted to upgrade the graphics card.

What the hell kind of battery can even supply that thing? Probably gets like 2 hours of run time. Which means nothing since you'll have an outlet nearby anyways.

Its good, but almost $3000 and could use more ram, so I'd rate it a 9/10

Alienware is well overpriced. My old laptop was a gaming one, Fujitsu Siemens. Alienware had the exact same model, but like 20% more expensive. Literally identical, from the same manufaturers.
This ^ . Also, minus some points for having Vista installed. Otherwise it's got the hardware to kill for sure. :thumbs: EDIT > Let us know about any battery lifespan/overheating problems you'll have too. I'm quite curious myself. There's just too much heat circulating in one little laptop case for my liking with a gfx card like that tbh. Then again, I wouldn't buy a laptop for gaming in the first place. :p So, minus another point for those setbacks too. Final Rating: 7/10

Also, minus some points for having Vista installed.
This is a ridiculous argument. Me and my roomie have the same laptop (Thinkpad R60) but he has Vista, and games which run like crap on mine run fine on his. Vista manages memory much, much better than XP.

This is a ridiculous argument. Me and my roomie have the same laptop (Thinkpad R60) but he has Vista, and games which run like crap on mine run fine on his. Vista manages memory much, much better than XP.
Vista is not capable of doing what I expect from an OS I'd like to have on my computer, so it's a perfectly sane argument. :p It's just my honest opinion, not a factual statement. We all have different needs from our OSs we expect them to accomplish. If Vista works good for you, that's great. ;) I on the other hand didn't like it.

Here are a few tidbits from the site:

Alienware notebooks pack ample power. They also allow you to curb that power when the need arises. The Area-51 m15x?s Stealth Mode throttles back the CPU and GPU, decreasing the notebook?s energy consumption and increasing battery life. Powering down the Area-51 m15x also reduces noise output. Higher energy efficiency and quieter running makes Stealth Mode especially beneficial when working unplugged and out in the field.

Proper thermal management is key to system performance. With the notebook?s magnesium alloy chassis, we can cool the internal structures enabling the fastest processors and graphics cards. In addition to the internal details, Alienware designed notebooks have dual air exhaust, porting hot air away from the user.

Battery: - Touch Activated Battery Meter
- 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery

By placing two cores on a single chip, dual-core technology generates unprecedented efficiency and processing power, allowing for advanced multitasking and demanding computational capabilities. This makes rendering out complex 3D models, editing HD video and digital audio or tearing through the latest DirectX? 10 game easier than ever before.

Intel? Intelligent Power Capability ? improves the energy efficiency of your notebook.

Hopefully it won't run hot and the battery will last some time when I need it to.
Is more Ram something I can add later?

Proper thermal management is key to system performance. With the notebook?s magnesium alloy chassis, we can cool the internal structures enabling the fastest processors and graphics cards.
Let me know how this super-duper state-of-the-art chassis really works, and I'll get back to you. :dozey: It'll likely catch fire and burn down from overheating after an hour or so of gaming imo. I hope you've got a good warranty. What with all the money you paid and all.

Vista is not capable of doing what I expect from an OS I'd like to have on my computer, so it's a perfectly sane argument. :p It's just my honest opinion, not a factual statement. We all have different needs from our OSs we expect them to accomplish. If Vista works good for you, that's great. ;) I on the other hand didn't like it.

wtf? What can XP do that Vista can't?

Work properly with all my music software?

>: |

I just have 2 hard drives, one with XP and one with Vista on so I get the best of both worlds.

NeptuneUK = winrar.

wtf? What can XP do that Vista can't?
Better performance, less intrusive Cryptographic services, the usual Vista anti-fanboy rant. :thumbs: I couldn't be arsed to list all things about Vista that sucks, so I can Google the "Top 10 reasons why Vista sucks" list if you can't do it yourself for some reason. :p Plus, Vista broke Steam, as well as the Nero Rom burning suite I had, Doom3, etc. Shit, the list goes on and on. DX10 is the only reason I even remotely care about Vista. Why can't others just accept the fact that some people think Vista sucks? :p Like I said anyways, there are many people who use different OSs because they might have different needs. For example, you wouldn't see someone install Linux for their gaming PC would you? Likewise, the main reason why Vista's not running on my current machine is for performance reasons. :p

I've been running Vista for about 6 months or so with about 10+ hours of usage a day (I work from home), and still have yet to have any problems. My system is plenty performant, I haven't been "intruded" on by any crypto services... and Steam works perfectly fine. The only "problem" I've had, if you can call it that, was trying to get my old Audigy 2 sound card to work - I wasn't able to use Creative's drivers since they don't support Vista, but the drivers from the kX project work perfectly fine. Can't say anything about Nero as I don't use it, and Doom3 was uninstalled less than a week after it was installed back when I bought it (pre-Vista, of course).

Better performance, less intrusive Cryptographic services, the usual Vista anti-fanboy rant. :thumbs: I couldn't be arsed to list all things about Vista that sucks, so I can Google the "Top 10 reasons why Vista sucks" list if you can't do it yourself for some reason. :p Plus, Vista broke Steam, as well as the Nero Rom burning suite I had, Doom3, etc. Shit, the list goes on and on. DX10 is the only reason I even remotely care about Vista. Why can't others just accept the fact that some people think Vista sucks? :p Like I said anyways, there are many people who use different OSs because they might have different needs. For example, you wouldn't see someone install Linux for their gaming PC would you? Likewise, the main reason why Vista's not running on my current machine is for performance reasons. :p

What the hell are you talking about?
I disabled that UAC crap, Steam works fine, Nero works fine, both Doom 3 and the expansion run normally. Perhaps you got it in it's early stages, when it was really crap. But the only annoyance I had was that user access control thing that really bothered me, and now I see nothing wrong. When I was forced to install Vista Ultimate I tought it would be so much worse and I was surprised to see it's not bad (at this stage, at least). Plus Service pack 1 coming in mid march.

nvdia mobile cards are known to have compatibility issues with many games, prepare for troubles.

Yeah it just arrived a few days ago. It plays Half-Life 1 like a champ! :| :dozey:

I wonder if Alienware install a load of software which bloats your laptop like most manufacturers do. If they do, then I shall hold my head in my hands.

i rate it a 3768.43 out of a possible 4000

So how does it run Crysis or something like that?

Back