Police turn violent in wall street protests

I can't help but feel this nonchalant violence is going to get some police officers severely, critically injured in the near future.

I go to UC Davis and saw those protests yesterday. I left a while before the police showed up, though.

Honest question: don't Americans have the right to protest? With what arguments are all these demonstrations broken up?

All of the statements I've read from the police cite something to do with public safety because of overcrowded areas

which they solve by hospitalizing several people.

All of the statements I've read from the police cite something to do with public safety because of overcrowded areas

Which sounds suspiciously like an excuse to break up the protests.

So much for freedom of speech. Showing a good example to all those middle eastern countries!

lol Photoshops are starting to appear about the pepper spraying incident:

enhanced-buzz-12773-1321882626-21.jpg

enhanced-buzz-28273-1321883393-22.jpg

enhanced-buzz-28691-1321883593-19.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-pepper-spraying-cop-meme

10 things you should know about the pepper spraying incident:

http://studentactivism.net/2011/11/...-know-about-fridays-uc-davis-police-violence/

5. University of California Police are not authorized to use pepper spray except in circumstances in which it is necessary to prevent physical injury to themselves or others.

4. Lt. Pike was not in fear for his safety when he sprayed the students.

The most widely distributed video of the incident (viewed, as I write this, by nearly 700,000 people on YouTube) begins just moments before Lt. Pike begain spraying, but another video, which starts a few minutes earlier, shows Pike chatting amiably with one activist, even patting him casually on the back.

The pat on the back occurs just two minutes and nineteen seconds before Pike pepper sprayed the student he had just been chatting with and all of his friends.

whole thing is ****ed up, and i am hoping for (but not expecting) Lt. Pike to face criminal charges of excessive force and assault.

i am a little annoyed that this is (rightfully) getting so much attention, yet everyone forgot about the forcible removal of OWS protestors from Zucotti Park. and how the media was not allowed in. and how a judge deemed it illegal, and the NYPD currently has a restraining order against it, which it ignored.

seriously, f*ck the police, and f*ck this country. condemning unfit violent goverment response to protests everywhere else, when this is right up there with them, if not worse. i used to hate that phrase, only in america.

only in f*cking america.

Honest question: don't Americans have the right to protest? With what arguments are all these demonstrations broken up?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

First amendment to the US constitution. Also note that "Originally, the First Amendment applied only to laws enacted by the Congress. However, starting with Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925), the Supreme Court has held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government."

Edit: I think it's usually something about city ordinances regarding camping or somesuch that the police cite.

Back