Politics forum closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, there be some interesting reads around this part.

Cel-eb-rate good times, come on! Doot-doot doo doo doot-doot-dooo!

Let's face facts people, the politics forum had all of maybe fifteen people who were good enough to handle the pressure.

Everyone else just posted illogical nonsense, flames, one-phrase brainfarts and conspiracy theories.

There were good posts, but the forum always attracted the worst people the site has to offer.
Maybe it can return one day when the internet isn't stupid, but that's a long ways away.

I support this decision. The politics forum is a cesspool of bullshit.

Raz said:

Let's just run it all into off-topic, eh?

Raz said:

you posted 21 times in the politics forum in the last 2 years, your opinion doesnt hold a lot weight

I've been lurking on this forum since before you were here. I've seen it. Sorry if I didn't want to get involved in the brunt of the nonsense conspiracy theories, extreme left wing propaganda and anti Americanism, or the regurgitation of themes like the Death Penalty. Or the flame fests between you and that imbecile that got banned.

Raz said:
I've been lurking on this forum since before you were here. I've seen it.

Lurking implies a disconnection from the community, so Stern's point still stands.

And Stern is on the extreme other side of the spectrum. He posts on this forum at least two dozen times a day so obviously he's so emotionally attached to this place to such a degree that he's unwilling to see how this forum has degenerated. I mean, where ever will he go to debate with 15-year olds about politics now?

Raz said:
And Stern is on the extreme other side of the spectrum. He posts on this forum at least two dozen times a day so obviously he's so emotionally attached to this place to such a degree that he's unwilling to see how this forum has degenerated. I mean, where ever will he go to debate with 15-year olds about politics now?

That was a pretty cheap dig at someone who's taken the time to contribute to the community here.

CptStern said:
you posted 21 times in the politics forum in the last 2 years, your opinion doesnt hold a lot weight
There is perhaps a rather obvious reason for that...you know?

I for one, support this move. In fact, I think its hilarious. To a degree that I came back to post about it :D

OCybrManO said:
At least before people could filter out all the political crap by never visiting that section. Now, either it will clutter up the off-topic section or it will have to be outlawed. A half-way option would cause a lot of bickering when posts get deleted or threads closed. What is the cut-off point of how political a thread can be? Then, if you go the strict route what would happen to Jack Thompson threads (and other game legislation topics)? They're gaming-related politics. It's just generally a tricky implementation. I don't think either route would be a good thing. If you don't keep the politics section... I'll... I'll write a strongly-worded yet polite letter telling you how disappointed I am with your decision, but also that I respect your right to go through with it as this is a privately-owned web site.

agreed.
if any bitterness between people happens in the Politics section or spills into another area, just give the appropriate warnings/bans.
i mean if people here can't understand that respecting someone regardless of whatever political viewpoint (or otherwise) others have, they deserve warnings and/or bans.

does it create more work for the staff? yeah...but hey, if its too much work for a staff member...they know what to do, right?... :|

its too bad that whoever made this decision is not looking past the few bad apples amoung some intelligent posters.

Raz said:

23 posts

lurking and participating is not the same thing ..i contributed you didnt. Oh and it's attitudes like yours that's responsible for this section being shit in the first place

Farrowlesparrow said:
There is perhaps a rather obvious reason for that...you know?

yes the same reason why I never post in the modding section or the rumours section or the support section etc ...yet you dont see me in those sections calling for them to be shut down because it holds no interest for me

CrazyHarij said:
There's the door. *points*
So let me get this straight.

You banned a forum member because he didn't agree with you.

How amazing, you proved that you can count.

I also find it rather strange how the attitude of someone who doesn't post much at all, something you pointed out yourself, has contributed to the degeneration of this forum. Apparently I caused the downfall of this forum with just 23 posts then? I'd be proud of myself if I could honestly say that.

Beerdude26 said:

Reason: Troll, Perma-ban.

(Solaris told me)

Beerdude26 said:

There's better reasons?

15357 said:
Reason: Troll, Perma-ban.

(Solaris told me)

Yep he is a troll, maybe he should wisen up and quit being one and there wouldn't be an issue.

Raz said:
How amazing, you proved that you can count.

I also find it rather strange how the attitude of someone who doesn't post much at all, something you pointed out yourself, has contributed to the degeneration of this forum. Apparently I caused the downfall of this forum with just 23 posts then? I'd be proud of myself if I could honestly say that.

reading comprehension:

" it's attitudes like yours"

Samon may have been a little overzealous in announcing this but in my opinion it's long past overdue and it was myself who first opened the politics forum.

For the record there have been some great threads and good discussions in here but when so much moderator time is spent trawling through puerile pathetic , racist, abusive tripe to the detriment of other things then sorry it's gonna go.

At the end of the day this is a gaming based forum not www.halflife2-politics.net

By all means feel free to leave and / or start up your own politics discussion site and then see how much time it takes to do properly never mind the rest of it.

As for us not doing our jobs properly or being one whit bothered about losing respect get yourself knotted. I'm sure Munro will make an official announcement soon but in the meantime this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back