Polycounts on models

How high a polycount are you planning for youre player models?

• under 2000 polys

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 2000-3000

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 3000-4000

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 4000-5000

• 5000-6000

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • over 6000 polys

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I dont know

• Total voters

Punisher454

Reaction score
How many polys are people planning to use on their models?

Right now I have a couple of player models that I'm working on that are in the mid 4000 range. And a few weapons that are running 750-950.

Think this is a bit high, or am I fairly close to what Valve will be using on their models ?

The Punisher

i think its too early to judge and i doubt they would answer your question cause it would give a indication to other production houses of how to beat half life 2 model quality

so its all about guessing right now

articles say that the player models run around 5K....

jsut fyi, valve is using Softimage|XSI instead of 3DS Max for te game...

w00000000000000000000000000000 h00000000000000

guess what program i got taught how to model on ? thats right ..xsi baby ..thats awesome news thanx sidewinder

yup, I think one of the mags said that the player models were all around 5000 polygons. my guess is that the weapons will be around 1500-2000 polygons.

now all you need to know is the texture size...

your welcome. i jsut hope they have a 3ds max plugin....

and dont you thing 1500-2000 polys for the gun is a bit much? combined with a 5K player thats 7K polys, and all the terrain? we want to keep all the maps playable... i htink around 1K max for wepaons....

There's no way in hell we'll get over 5000 polys. We basically know the polycount, keep it under 5000 polys, bump map it, and you're good. I'd say weapon models will be 2500-3000 models, bump mapped.

calm down with the bump mapping i mean we dont want it looking as crap as doom 3 does now do we?

3K polys for the gun models?!

i guess most poeple could handle around 2000, with a high poly character...

First thing you should do is start small with Milkshape making HL models, preferably join the DoD community of modelers, I know firsthand that they're good folk. Once you're good at milkshape move up to 3DS Max, there's an exporter/importer coming so just model things in that.

scalable models

Does anybody know the details of Source's LOD (level of detail) engine? It is possible they scale the number of polys according to how close you are to the model & how fast your graphcs card is. This would solve a lot of problems...

Actully, i'd get Gmax form Discreet to start modleing with.
1) it's free
2) it's easy and almsot iddentical to 3DSMax
3)Valve says they might support Gmax in HL2

Re: scalable models

Originally posted by derby
Does anybody know the details of Source's LOD (level of detail) engine? It is possible they scale the number of polys according to how close you are to the model & how fast your graphcs card is. This would solve a lot of problems...
Yeah, I think they're saving that distance = number of polys thing they had when they started TF2. As for graphics cards, the options menu can fix that in a jiffy.

1k for weapon models!?! U know how crap they'll look?

1.5k to 2k is just fine, the engine can run it all fine (+ the terrain etc).

the weapon models look pretty detailed modeled to mee.. i guess 3500 and i think the player models are 5000 and the strider and the stuff 6000 or more

Originally posted by EVIL
the weapon models look pretty detailed modeled to mee.. i guess 3500 and i think the player models are 5000 and the strider and the stuff 6000 or more
Hmmm I think it's even less,
It are degraded very high poly models,
I think about 4000poly's/character

From viewing the movies, I think the weapon models are probably about 1000 - 1200 poly MAX. Remember that you delete faces on unviewable surfaces, so that leaves about 1000 polys to work with on the viewable side. The arm looks to be an 8 sided cylinder, but after culling its only 4. I also think that anyone starting modeling for HL2 should go ahead and go to extremes and once the polycount specs are released, optimize it to there.

Back