Popular hip-hop artist Wyclef Jean runs for president in Haiti

mocho loco

The Puffiness
Reaction score
Hip-hop artist Wyclef Jean told CNN's "Larry King Live" on Thursday he is running for president of Haiti.

Jean was one of the first, and most visible, celebrities to offer aid after a devastating earthquake hit Haiti in January. He has also been an outspoken proponent of the nation through his Yele Haiti Foundation, which has come under some scrutiny for how it spends its money.

"Yes, it's my first time announcing it live -- that today I went in, and I signed, and I am running to be the president of Haiti," said Jean, in his first television interview about his decision to run.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/08/05/haiti.wyclef.jean.president/index.html?hpt=T1

Hope to see this guy rebuild Haiti, he seems to be pretty passionate about his country.

He's also a fairly smart dude. At the very least he'll be more competent than about half the politicians we elect.

Celebrity Presidents spend a lot of money though, just look at the Obama

hopefully he doesn't **** it up even more though. I wish something good would come to Haiti

Does passion make you a good leader? I don't know if Wyclef Jean has any leadership experience... but hell... Haiti's in such dire straights at the moment I think anything could help. Every time I hear anything about Haiti at any point, it's horribly depressing.

Wait Barack Obama was a celebrity? This should be interesting...

The one thing I will say in favour of celebrity politicians is that a small percentage of celebrities are famous from a basis of technical talent, an ability to adapt, and high intelligence. The 3-5%.

Sean Penn sure didn't like the idea. But I don't know how I feel about it.

I really only liked Wyclef when he was still doing The Fugees. Fu Gee La, great song.

What's going on?
Armageddon come you know we soon done
Gun by my side just in case I gotta rump
A boy on the side of Babylon
Trying to front like he's down with Mount Zion

Oh wait, this is not the Music section ...

It could work if he gathers a good team of professionals I guess. Other than that it is a crazy plan.

Guy is just trying to become a political figure so he'll have diplomatic immunity from the US tax issues that are dogging him. Owes quite a lot of money and hes involved in some scandals over his money handling.

He'll probably win too.

I give him 4 years before he's overthrown in a coup, if he gets in.

Those Haitians love a coup.

I kinda want him to run and win just to piss off Sean Penn.

I bet if he's elected he'll just become another in the long line of self-enriching corrupt people that have been in power in Haiti.

I bet if he's elected he'll just become another in the long line of self-enriching corrupt people that have been in power in Haiti.
His uncle, Haitian Ambassador to the US, Raymond Joseph, has been part of that crew for a while. He was a huge part of the most recent coup to get rid of the people's elected favorite, Aristide, and a big supporter of the death squads that quashed pro-Aristide sentiment on the island.

Here's how the guys at Uhurunews.com feel about it:

PLEASE SPREAD THE NEWS: "WYCLEF JEAN IS NOT A FRIEND OF THE PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT OF HAITI." The floating of his candidacy is just one more effort by the international forces, desperate to put a smiley face on a murderous military occupation, to undermine the will of the Haitian majority by making Wyclef Jean the Ronald Reagan of Haiti. Let us be clear. Jean and his uncle, the Haitian Ambassador to the U.S., are both cozy with the self-appointed czar of Haiti, Bill Clinton, whose plans for the Caribbean nation are to make it a neo-colony for a reconstructed tourist industry and a pool of cheap labor for U.S. factories. Wyclef Jean is the perfect front man. The Haitian elite and its U.S./U.N. sponsors are counting on his appeal to the youth to derail the people’s movement for democracy and their call for the return of President Aristide. Most Haitians will not be hoodwinked by the likes of Wyclef Jean.
More details here: Source.

Hahahaha! Go figure. His bid was rejected. He didn't meet the residency requirement of having lived in Haiti for five years before the election. His reaction?

Jean said in a blog posted at The Huffington Post: "Though I disagree with the ruling, I respectfully accept the committee's final decision, and I urge my supporters to do the same."

Source.

His uncle, Haitian Ambassador to the US, Raymond Joseph, has been part of that crew for a while. He was a huge part of the most recent coup to get rid of the people's elected favorite, Aristide, and a big supporter of the death squads that quashed pro-Aristide sentiment on the island.

Here's how the guys at Uhurunews.com feel about it:

More details here: Source.

Lol Haitian conspiracy.

Also, aspiring politicians are the worst. Burn them before they take power, etc, etc. Politicians are like roaches, and aspiring politicians are like..... baby roaches.

Back