Portal 2 Collector's Edition Guide

Oppressor

Spy
Reaction score
Let me point out that I love Valve, since they unleashed Half-Life in 1998, and I'm happy the Portal series has enthralled me almost as much.

For you who has eyes on the Valve store every now and then I just want to recommend any serious Valve fan to get a copy of the 384 page Portal 2 Collector's Edition Guide. It's similar to every Half-Life fans essential book, Raising the Bar, but much more focused on illustrated guides for both Portal and Portal 2 (both single player and co-op). Apart from the obvious level completions, there's tons of other stuff in here that will interest any Portal fan. An in depth story explanation, sketches and rough ideas on environments and characters, top-ten quotes from main characters, detailed Aperture Sceince time-line, trophy guide, secrets and much much more. All this accompanied by tons and tons of never seen concept art!

And a few Portal story related facts confirmed in the book by Eric Wolpaw (not direct quoted):

How long was Chell in stasis?
Chell's time in stasis is not confirmed, but it may be revelealed in the future

Is Rattman dead by the time Portal 2 takes place?
Maybe not...

(A hint for the upcoming single player DLC? ;) )

Was Caroline just Cave's assistant, or was there more to it?
They weren't married, but there might be more of a story here...

And the Half-Life connection is also confirmed. GLaDOS was activated year 2000, just a few days before the Black Mesa Incident. And the Borealis was a competing bid with Black Mesa over a Defense Logistics Agency contract for an effective FSII solution. Highly classified information.

Well, I just wanted to sum up some of the stuff I found in it ( I just got it), haven't read that much yet. Go buy this book now! http://store.valvesoftware.com/product.php?i=P0909

And the Half-Life connection is also confirmed. GLaDOS was activated year 2000, just a few days before the Black Mesa Incident.

No. That's not correct.

Does that information even come from the book, or is it from Game Informer's site, because Laidlaw said the site was wrong.

Would love to get a copy, but I could do with Valve just putting it on Amazon and thus avoid paying the absurd import tax I had to cough up last time I bought something from their store.

No. That's not correct.

Does that information even come from the book, or is it from Game Informer's site, because Laidlaw said the site was wrong.

The company who made this book is called Future Press, and that specific Half-Life connection section isn't quoted from anywhere as it seems. It' a pretty detailed section. There's no information were they get their info from, it seems to be directly from Valve. About 25 people in the Valve staff are mentioned in the register. I seriuosly can't tell, good point though

No, I mean the part where you said GlaDOS went insane days before the resonance cascade. That's bullshit.

No, I mean the part where you said GlaDOS went insane days before the resonance cascade. That's bullshit.

I agree with the insane part, GlaDOS was already insane they were just inhibiting her ability to be insane. She killed everybody when they thought they had found the solution.

Somebody turned it on and nobody turned it off, reasonable to think that with everybody focused on the Resonance Cascade and the Portal Storms nobody further investigated the incident at Aperture and so GlaDOS was able to run rampant

Back