Portal 2 spoiler thread

Rossell

Reaction score
Never saw one here, I haven't got it yet but I thought I'd be helpful by making one. Post everything you know about the Borealis here :p

BTW, the moon part, is just. WOW, came out of nowhere.

BTW, the moon part, is just. WOW, came out of nowhere.

Nice foreshadowing on that, though. Recall what Cave said the portal-surface goo was made out of? Crushed up moon rock.

BIRD! BIRD!

Nice foreshadowing on that, though. Recall what Cave said the portal-surface goo was made out of? Crushed up moon rock.

BIRD! BIRD!

Nice one! I forgot about that!

I liked the personality core that was obsessed with space, though. :D

The moon part almost felt too ridiculous and comical, even for Portal. I was like, "are you serious" but it was entertaining none-the-less.

The moon part almost felt too ridiculous and comical, even for Portal. I was like, "are you serious" but it was entertaining none-the-less.

Well, their explanation aint "that" bad

My favorite part is " Oh hi. I hope you're doing well...BECAUSE IM A POTATO"

Although Wheatlwy stole the show..." Because thats a hate crime Jerry. Ok fine Jerry. Ill see you in court"

I think the best part of the game's dialogue is when Cave Johnson has his whole tirade about lemons. Good all around.

I found a Borealis life preserver in one of the areas :p (near where you first encounter potato GLaDOS).

Also, that last portrait of Cave Johnson you see bears an overt similarity to the G-Man.

I found a Borealis life preserver in one of the areas :p (near where you first encounter potato GLaDOS).

Also, that last portrait of Cave Johnson you see bears an overt similarity to the G-Man.

I saw the video of that... I was standing in that room looking that corner.. I jumped probably six inches from that door... I knew those rooms had some significance but I missed it...

The Cave Johnson lemon rant ranks up as one of the funniest things in a video game i thought, hah.

I saw the video of that... I was standing in that room looking that corner.. I jumped probably six inches from that door... I knew those rooms had some significance but I missed it...
You better go back, you get two achievements from going down there!

Whereas the first one looks a lot like Jack Geller from Friends.

I think you're on to something there.

(I don't think CJ is the Gman but I do think Valve intentionally teased about it.

Since this is a spoiler thread, here goes.

Chell is the orphaned daughter of Cave and Caroline.

Vk0la.jpg

Boom.

That suggests she was adopted by an Aperture employee, yes. But where does it say anything about Cave and Caroline?

That suggests she was adopted by an Aperture employee, yes. But where does it say anything about Cave and Caroline?

It doesn't, it just feels like it fits. That makes 3 "C"s. It would explain why she was "abandoned" by her parents. I'll have to go through the game again with this in my mind to see if Glados says anything that might lead to this conclusion when she discovers Caroline.

It's just a theory.

EDIT: It could explain the surge of emotion that Glados felt when she pulled Chell back in through the portal on the moon and saved her life.

Her last name was also purposely redacted in the Portal 2 comic.

^Also foreshadowing on the painting on the wall in the beginning of the game. When the room is old, the painting has a huge moon on it.

I didn't find it ridiculous if you remember the stuff Cave mentioned about the moon rocks. What bothered me was that Chell flew out in space and survived. I Would have preferred Wheatley to get sucked through, and then right before you get sucked in, GLaDOS grabs you or something.

^Also foreshadowing on the painting on the wall in the beginning of the game. When the room is old, the painting has a huge moon on it.

I didn't find it ridiculous if you remember the stuff Cave mentioned about the moon rocks. What bothered me was that Chell flew out in space and survived. I Would have preferred Wheatley to get sucked through, and then right before you get sucked in, GLaDOS grabs you or something.

I wasn't bothered by her flying into space briefly. She was out there for a short time with atmosphere rushing past her into space. My disbelief was still suspended.

Here is a question, I may have missed this info. But if they are MILES underground, how were we able to see the moon? GLaDOS sends you back up to the surface after the fight

You are miles underground until you escape from the vitrified/sealed off section of the complex. From then on, presumably, you are somewhere near ground level or thereabouts but, given the mercurial nature of facility due to Wheatley's refashioning of it, it's not clear where exactly you are. Plus the place is falling to pieces. So seeing the moon is not strange.

Between the final fight and the ending, Chell blacks out, the robots appear, and you're placed on a lift, so it's clear that you've been moved in the intervening time.

Short periods of time in the vaccuum of space isn't lethal. The first thing that kills you in such a situation is suffocation, and that takes a while... plus the air rushing out of the portal. It's actually much more reasonable than being able to shoot a portal to the moon...

Here is a question, I may have missed this info. But if they are MILES underground, how were we able to see the moon? GLaDOS sends you back up to the surface after the fight

You take several elevators back up from that point... plus there's not really any indication of where exactly you are when you travel between the last tests. Also like was said before, you're unconcious when you're put on the elevator to the surface.

I wonder if I have a save near that place so I can just go back to do that achievement? Probably not... knowing my luck. Can you start specific chapters? I haven't had a chance to try any of that stuff.

When you first find the portal gun (the one with the single blue portal) resting on one of rat guy's murals, there is a hole in the roof above the gun itself showing the sky above, and around the edge of the hole, is the cycle of the moon. Just figured I would add that one, the image of the moon appears a lot in his scribblings.

I think when the portal mechanic and gun first appeared, it was one of the crazy things people thought about while using it, like 'what if you fired it at the moon?' I think it was kinda great to see it happen, regardless of the logic or science involved. hehe

Also I think Wheatley will be okay, he will probably find employment as a caretaker for a huge species-killing space weapon of some kind, though I am sure he will always be guilty about what happened. (Sorry)

I wonder if I have a save near that place so I can just go back to do that achievement? Probably not... knowing my luck. Can you start specific chapters? I haven't had a chance to try any of that stuff.
I missed the exact same one and was stressing over it just after I finished the game. You can't start a new chapter anywhere near it though; 'The Reunion' happens just after you pick up GlaDOS, so you have to play through from the beginning of 'The Fall' which involves the whole 1950's section of the facility. I'll go back and get it maybe tonight when I can be bothered.

That was a thoroughly enjoyable ending. The moon part was indeed a bit over the top, but like Vegeta my disbelief was suspended enough. Getting the companion cube back was the icing on the cake (no pun intended, honest).

Btw did anyone spot the robots? I caught P-body near the end of the game. When he noticed me looking at him he ran. Or at least that was what it looked like.

QllXz.jpg

pAp5d.jpg

jXCTM.jpg

I didn't know the bots were there... I assume it was after Wheatley admits he found them...

No, that really is P-Body on the other side of the facility.

The thing that impressed me the most was the total overhaul they gave Aperture science. I don't believe that during the first game it was meant to be so massive. I immediatly sensed the change when I woke up in a hotel room instead of a relaxation vault and I knew Aperture science was going to be very different.

The moon shot was great. Ignoring all implausibilities, it needed to happen. People have joked/speculated about that since Portal 1 came out and it was a great finale to finally do something so epic with the portals. I can't think of a better way to end Chell's story than that.

The characters were great. Wheatly was very funny and I was glad that there was a character like him to compliment Glados's dark humour. However, she wasn't quite the same and it was interesting to go through the tests with Glados pissed off at you and not hiding it. Cave Johnson was amusing and I thought it was cute when Glados was talking about how much she liked this guy. The best thing that happened though was Glaods's change from hating you to towards the end defending you when Wheatly insults you and becoming your friend. Then she (very tue to the character) deletes her nice part but you know she still appreciates you because she doesn't kill you and sends you the companion cube.

Great game.

Edit: Are we assuming that the trailers for the panels, boots, etc. are non-canon? I've wondered about this because the old Aperture facility when Cave Johnson was alive doesn't have panels, bots, or turrets. But we can assume it had the boots because there were portal device tests, so the tech could've been advanced enough to have that stuff. Any thoughts?

I thought the moon shot was fantastic! I was like, "HOLY F***, THAT IS AWESOME!". Was not expecting it at all. The feeling that comes to mind is the feeling I got in the Dark Knight where the joker makes a pencil disappear. The first time I saw that, I had a very similar reaction. Shock + clever == awesome. Also, to all those criticizing the believability of the moon shot, are you kidding me? Your character has a handheld device that can create holes through space and you find it hard to believe that what, the portal shot could accurately travel the distance to the moon? Why the hell not? The game has directional gravity beams, light bridges, a liquid that decreases friction allowing you to move faster than any human, a liquid with such high elasticity that even a thin layer results in high repulsions, and you're complaining about Chell's accuracy? Cmon, she's had a lot of time getting good at shooting that thing.

I believe that's wherethe borealis was, and its drydock, before it dissapeared.

Hey, I just realized there was minimal mention of cake in this game. I really appreciate this because it pissed me off when nerds at my school tokk turns saying "The cake is a lie" and giggling. I always thought that that was a pretty weak joke and I'm glad they got rid of it in favor of some good material. I think cake was only mentioned 1 or 2 times and not in the "it's a lie" form.

You can't start a new chapter anywhere near it though; 'The Reunion' happens just after you pick up GlaDOS, so you have to play through from the beginning of 'The Fall' which involves the whole 1950's section of the facility. I'll go back and get it maybe tonight when I can be bothered.
I haven't restarted from The Reunion myself, but I'm pretty sure that if it starts just after you pick up PotatOS, then you can easily get to the Borealis dock from there. The entrance is in one of those office rooms, and you can get still to all of them after picking PotatOS up - videos on youtube show people visiting the area with PotatOS.

Btw did anyone spot the robots? I caught P-body near the end of the game. When he noticed me looking at him he ran. Or at least that was what it looked like.
Yes, this happens in the last Wheatley chamber, where he has to add the exit on for you (that's P-body running out the new exit), just after he says he found the co-operative testing bots and so doesn't need you any more.

One nice easter egg I noticed is just after you find Wheatley again and PotatOS is going to use the paradox on him - if you watch all of the Wheatley cubes, as soon as she says "This statement is false" they all short-circuit and start smoking and sparking.

Yes, this happens in the last Wheatley chamber, where he has to add the exit on for you (that's P-body running out the new exit), just after he says he found the co-operative testing bots and so doesn't need you any more.

Yup, and I was wondering if it was the only time you see them. Because I am quite sure it isn't.

I haven't restarted from The Reunion myself, but I'm pretty sure that if it starts just after you pick up PotatOS, then you can easily get to the Borealis dock from there. The entrance is in one of those office rooms, and you can get still to all of them after picking PotatOS up - videos on youtube show people visiting the area with PotatOS.
What I meant was that Reunion starts just after that entire area.

I bricked my game in one of the first tests, and Glados didn't help me out!
OQn5v.jpg

Yes, I noticed them quite some times, in one of the first test rooms you see them 'suspended'.

Back