Portal: ApertureScience.com (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey if you get to the security cam feed and click enter it takes you to the shopping list but if you click enter again wile at the shopping list it takes you back to the security cam feed. maybe this has something to do with the supervisor walking by like you could swap between them when he goes by you.

I want some new news on this!..News...News...Mmm..Yess, News...

Nothing? :(

Haha, it was so nice to open up my browser, see my homepage with a new article posted about this..I got a link from GordonFreeman911 before I saw the post, but I didn't know what he was on about until I saw a news post on CSN..He just told me it was a portal teaser..All I saw was the ">" and that it was in flash format..

Didn't know what to do..At the time I couldn't type anything either..So I wasn't sure about it..Then tried it in IE and it worked, later on found out it worked in Fx as well..heh..

updated summary anyone? there has been like 10 new pages since I left...

Nothing new, except that completing the quiz will not bring you to the security feed anymore.

Seems like thats all for now; ima go to bed see if anything changes in the morrow.

Also:

The cake is a lie!

I don't feel like going through 25 pages.

However, I can confirm that the security feed is the area where the game begins.

Cake is also talked about a lot in-game and not just a "Celebration for VALVe" thing.

Iced_Eagle, do you actually know any of that as a fact, and if so, where did you get it from?

This is my first post on this forum, I got an account just so I could take part in this thread, its really interesting, hope more happens soon.

Nice one Iced-Eagle, btw I am eager for your mod, it sure seems it's gonna kick ass!

Seems like my anagram theory went bust; none of these make sense. What's odd is that it was the first URL that showed up in Google when looking for "the cake is a lie," though.

My UIN something! Doesn't change for every "blink" it stays half a minute and THEN i changes :S

I would just like to point out, as my first post here, that the question referring to how long you have voluntarily kept silent might be a reference to the Twilight Zone episode where a man would be given $5 million dollars if he could keep quiet for a year. Can any of the other questions be linked to the Twilight Zone?

Hmmm maybe!

I really like your theory! But COULDN'T it be that (taking some of the other questions in mind FX the one about you having problems with..... one of them is staying awake in 48 hours) That they want you to SHUT UP and playtest?

My personal theory is that they are looking for intelligent playtesters! If you answer all the questions corretly you get to work with them:D

The thing is that nothing in the flash file points to any external source- they're not logging it. Also, almost none of the questions seem to have a solvable, objective answer, apart from the one about dissecting a cake.

I skim read the thread, and I don't think this has been posted (no doubt someone will prove me wrong)-
The end of 1.06:
When was the last time you left the building? Do you know anyone who's left the building lately? I don't know what lunatic wrote the new lockdown policy. I don't know who's in charge. But they're building an 'Enrichment Center'. Check out this security feed. Whatever the hell a 'relaxation vault' is, it doesn't have any doors.

If a supervisor walks by, press return. I don't think going home is part of our job description anymore.
'The cake is a lie' (both 1.06 & 1.07):
When was the last time you left the building? Has anybody left the building lately? I don't know why we're in lockdown. I don't know who's in charge. I did find out a few things, like these terminals don't have to tap out characters one at a time. And while we're all working on twenty year old equipment, somehow they can afford to build an 'Enrichment Center'. Check out this security feed. Whatever the hell a 'relaxation vault' is, it doesn't have any doors.

I don't think going home is part of our job description anymore.

If a supervisor walks by, press return!

I would just like to point out, as my first post here, that the question referring to how long you have voluntarily kept silent might be a reference to the Twilight Zone episode where a man would be given $5 million dollars if he could keep quiet for a year. Can any of the other questions be linked to the Twilight Zone?

Hmmmm... thecakeisalie, maybe it's a cookbook!:E

It's great to see this type of community involvement.

I agree, but...

...isn't it kinda sad that *this* is what got us all excited? Not a new screenshot, a new announcment or game but a stupid little flash site with an accompanying puzzle that someone at valve fixed together during a coffee break? I wish I could say this was a new record nerdiness-level but alas, this has all happened before. :D

Incidentally, this thread is almost growing at ten pages per day.

You're missing the point of the website. Its not so much what it is but how it is presented and the mood it creates. The subtle/not-so-subtle threats, the mystery it creates, the big-brother mindset, the rat-in-a-maze feeling, the relaxation vault, etc.
How is a ogling over a new screenshot less geeky than going over this site? Personally I think the site gives us more information on what the game is all about than any screenshot could.

This was posted buy a member ages ago.

(General Statement)
Please people, this thread is 27 pages long and a lot of it is repeats of earlier posts. If you are going to post something at least read the first four pages where most of the information we know so far was discovered and posted (apart from the changes to the new version of the page, ApertureScience16.swf to ApertureScience17.swf). I was going to post a summary, but I'm too tired now - I might do it tomorrow in the morning.

I agree, but...

...isn't it kinda sad that *this* is what got us all excited? Not a new screenshot, a new announcment or game but a stupid little flash site with an accompanying puzzle that someone at valve fixed together during a coffee break? I wish I could say this was a new record nerdiness-level but alas, this has all happened before. :D

Incidentally, this thread is almost growing at ten pages per day.
But it tells us so much more about the game than screenshots ever could. The questions about socks, interrogation, and indeed, cake, speak volumes about the type of world we will be plunged into.

So what if it was made in a coffee break, it achives it's goal, and achives it well.
If there's one thing Valve knows, it's nerds. :p

I've no idea whether anyone has raised this already, but I find it noteworthy that most of the people who've had sudden, very insightful brainwaves on how to get this, that and the other working have been members who joined this month and only have one or two posts - said posts being said brainwaves...
I emailed Lombardi - it is set in the HL2 universe.
Yeah I believe they've said that Portal's set within the HL2 universe a couple of times, plus that the main character of Portal will play a role in the plot of HL2 later on. I think.
Perhaps something for Episode Four?

on the opening of the original HL there were several experiments you passed during the tram journey, could portal have been one of them ?
Yeah I was wondering whether it was set at BMRF, but it looks, from what we've seen, to be a bit more new and shiny than BMRF. Also, Aperture Science sounds like a corporate organisation, whereas BMRF was government research, was it not?

You're missing the point of the website. Its not so much what it is but how it is presented and the mood it creates. The subtle/not-so-subtle threats, the mystery it creates, the big-brother mindset, the rat-in-a-maze feeling, the relaxation vault, etc.
How is a ogling over a new screenshot less geeky than going over this site? Personally I think the site gives us more information on what the game is all about than any screenshot could.

I'm not missing the point, I love the feeling, very sinister, X-filish, my point is that going over a website and cominc up with all these stupid little theories is extremely nerdy. Extremely fun, but extremely nerdy. :E

interesting that the "equipment" thats beeing mentioned is from the same year when they shoot "wargames" ...

maybe this faked falken screen was leaked from a valve employee trying to be funny?

anyways: i am REALLY looking forward to this game.

I was going to post a summary, but I'm too tired now - I might do it tomorrow in the morning.
That's what you get for living in the future. :p

[e] I found something else:

From what I can tell the UID is made up of two MD5 hashes (two 32 character strings). The first one is always the same, e3c11ce7d3288d99dff0d164ccf66135 and the other one is random, maybe generated from a timestamp in seconds, Unix time even.
The first hash is in fact your IP. Not very useful I know, but it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back