possibilities of cameras

john121

Reaction score
I was thinking about the setting cameras and monitors could have in some eerie mods. You could have some assasins or a bunch of grunts coming to get you from a long ways. (like hallways) and all you'd have is your crowbar and a flashlight, the only way to see them is through the TV screens on each checkpoint.

Or where you could have a camera on a moving cart and push it down a hallway or elevator shaft, seing who's down there with a wallscreen or something. Hey, you could even recreate faithfully the landscape of the amazing book, "1984". (i urge EVERYONE to read it, VERY good banned book)

if anyone else has any suggestions, plz tell us. :smoking:

I just thought up something usefull that no one has said before I think..

how about portable servelance cameras.. like you could attach a camera to a wall or setup one in a tripod or whatever and then use some portable tv thing.. I dunno, could be usefull for a multiplayer mod or something..

or maybe a little cammera attached to a pole with a small screen that you could aim around corners and stuff?..

I'm thinking of putting them on vehicles so they could be used as displays. That way you could go into a vehivle sit in the cockpit and have a view from a plethora of points with out having to change screens.

That's a bit like an idea I had.
Everyone likes third-person driving, but it messes up the immersion. So, make a little screen that shows a radar-generated TPS in a cockpit monitor, or even a windshield HUD.

Definately has some applications in my mod. As, in an RTS, you can't be in all places at once, placing security cameras is probably a good idea.

-Angry Lawyer

I think that the new thief game was able to blow the idea that 3rd person cameras take away from the immersion.

Uh I think they've already demonstrated they can do this in the old E3 videos.

I think hes just asking what ideas/concepts could be done with this feature..

i read an article about some valve people showing off what they could do with hammer, by attaching a camera to a zombies head, then watching it walk around the level from a screen in the map.

of course, the modders will figure out heaps of cool applications for this kind of thing!

i know everyone has this view that scripting can be bad, but think about scripting a scene where you saw a huge screen showing a camera just outside the door beside you, not quite in focus, but getting clearer over time, shaking and stuff, maybe even have the picture rolling (like bad reception, i don't know if it's possible for like a screen freeze or static type things with these cameras) but it would be great for a sense of terror without knowing what you're going up against.

Teddy said:
i read an article about some valve people showing off what they could do with hammer, by attaching a camera to a zombies head, then watching it walk around the level from a screen in the map.

of course, the modders will figure out heaps of cool applications for this kind of thing!
where did you hear that? can you post a link?
you could have 2 zombies fighting and watch it from cameras on both of their heads. or not..

In my Interception idea I posted here way back about one team hunting the other, I was considering the idea of the hunters having some sort of camera gun... they could hit one of the runners with it, then see what he sees.
Could be fun having the runners scan each other for cameras when they met up together, and shunning the poor guy who'd been hit with one. :)
"Go away ! You're gonna get us all killed, fs !!"

Kon said:
I just thought up something usefull that no one has said before I think..

how about portable servelance cameras.. like you could attach a camera to a wall or setup one in a tripod or whatever and then use some portable tv thing.. I dunno, could be usefull for a multiplayer mod or something..

or maybe a little cammera attached to a pole with a small screen that you could aim around corners and stuff?..

I thought about that a while back too, you could make working digi camera's ingame , and record things..,, weird :O,

but I had a mod idea that incorporated that.. you may of seen it.. it was an idea for a mod with no guns.. like Most Haunted , the TV program. aiming to scare the player in a realistic world that is based on real life ghost/poltergeist experiances, reacting with a sometimes emotional npc team. adding to the experiance, perhaps in real locations. exploration/adventure. with tasks and stuff, envolving modern ghost hunting apperatus, one being a digital camera :).

The camera inputs would be awesome for a Commander-Mode type system like that which is in Natural Selection.
You can either use the top-down view, or use placed/hacked security cameras as well as shoulder-mounted cameras on all of your troops.

as well as shoulder-mounted cameras on all of your troops.
Wow... imagine NS with all the updated graphics, and then this... /me poops self. I'd say the best way to implement it is to see the cam's for whoever you have selected. My god, would that rock. /shivers in excitement

Well it wouldn't be that hard of an addition...because as it has been demonstrated and mentioned before they've attatched cameras to other things before, and we've all seen what kind of outputs you can have.

though it may be tricky including those outputs into a commander mode style interface.

Or how about the ability for ANYONE to "scroll" through the camera outputs in sort of a PDA style system...so say a squad goes silent, before you investigate you can check the cameras so you can try and see what you may be up against...unless they get destroyed by the attackers.

I want a mod where you have a camera on your gun, and a viewport in your helmet, then you can move your gun to look around corners (similar system to trespasser, but not a load of crap)

Back