Possible HL2 release date

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally words have sprung forth from Valve’s dark cave of which they have been hiding in for the past few months. Unfortunately these words have come from the infamous Doug Lombardi, valves Director of Marketing. Whether or not his words are true or not a good deal of people are going to pass this announcement aside due to the poor feelings left from the 30th September release date fiasco.

Today Doug Lombardi spoke to Chris Morris of CNN speaking of a new possible Half-Life 2 release date. He says Valve are "currently targeting this summer for the completion of Half-Life 2". This is not the exact release date, only an estimate. Hopefully there’s at long last some truth to Doug’s statement and we’ll be playing Half-Life 2 very soon.

You can read the full article over at CNN here.

Good ol' Doug "It's not a lie, it's marketing!" Lombardi.

At any rate, I'm assuming by "Summer 2004" he really means there's not a chance in hell we'll see the game before August.

At first I clicked on the link elsewhere, read the title it said today, Feb 3rd 2004. I thought it was gonna come out today, then read on for dates..saw Spring 2005, but then found out that was for the Vampire game.. then I actually read the whole damn thing and saw Summer 2004. I don't even know when the hell it's going to be released until I get it in the mail from my pre-order. It'd be nice to have an official Demo or something, not with tons of levels just something to play around with like the physics or something. Oh well, hopefully it'll be mailed to my house sometime in 2004.

So much for april =/
But I guess the septemer-rumour is wrong as well then, right? :)

Summer... still quite some time to go. Might be may/june, might be july/august. And with the source being Lombardi... well, it could be anything ranging from april to december :|

gah summer.. thats like across 4 months or something..
now that we kind of know how long to wait.. i wonder if they will start releasing new vids etc.

Could you please upload the internet again? I hadn't finished using it...

Punzz said:
i wonder if they will start releasing new vids etc.

According to this web site, the new ATI R420 AND the nVidia NV40 should both be released around the April/May time. Both cards supposedly supporting the new PCI Express format which some say will double existing framerates.

Now there's something to p|$$ off those who bought the Radeon XT's last September ready for the release of HL2 :|

Vorm

For the record: Valve didn't make a promise to you just now.
They said that they *target* a summer release..wether they release it then or not is totally up to them. So don't feel 'hurt' or 'mislead' when it doesn't release then;
they didn't make a promise to the community. IMO

apart from that: I THINK THAT THEY HL2 IS INDEED GONNA BE RELEASED THIS SUMMER :D :cheers:

september 30th 2004

here we go again..

wanted to post something with lombardi and saddams information minister but can't be arsed..
plus it's old and boring..

so no hl2 in april or earlier. :(

and when you read this, you get aware of the possibility that it won't be released even by then. hopefully, it's not on the way to be the second dnf. :hmph:

oh man.. where are all the great games i'm waiting for.. doom3, hl2.. dnf :) come on, show you! :)

Bah!!!!!! :x i say that that blair guy was right!! maybe it will be out september :eek:

For the record, Summer doesn't start until June 21, so quit saying May. Summer is June 21 - September 21, give or take a day at each end. Does anyone with a little more knowledge of the industry, think that this means they are completely re-tooling the game?? Well, according to the article, it looks like we will hear more at E3. What scares me, is that if they are going to aim for summer, why not wait a couple more months and release it in November so they get the holiday sales? Ah well, give me more time to save up for a SWEET rig to play it on. Godspeed Valve, but take all the time you need!!!!!

bah summer, thats the last straw for me... I'm not buying this game anymore (I'm not just saying). This game has pissed me off long enough, exactly like CZ.

Oh.. summer 2004.. at least its not 2005.... *yawn* :|

SIN55 said:
bah summer, thats the last straw for me... I'm not buying this game anymore (I'm not just saying). This game has pissed me off long enough, exactly like CZ.

Lol..some ppl are interesting to 'study' :p

He feels angry at a developer because they delay their game ...omg

One thing: It'll be WELL WORTH the wait i think.

F*cking great. Hope the ati radeon 9800 pro (128mb) will be alot cheaper then. Still 300 euros here in my country!

Well delays again... This is turning into a DNF like. I'm just getting very tired. I'm not hyped anymore since I played the HL2 alpha... Yea I can hear you say: But it only was a alpha! .. I also played the doomIII alpha and damn it was more fun than hl2... Even Stalker was better.
And Painkiller...

Shitload of goodgame are coming out this year. With all the physics and facial animations that Hl2 has... The only thing Hl2 has over the other games is the huge community...

But I think the community is getting tired of this...

my 2cents

bah summer. roffles might as well say sept 30 th

I'm targetting... Claudia Schiffer. I'm totally sure she'll go out with me!

Seriously: why should we as fans trust them at this point? They've done nothing to earn that trust. This latest announcement was targeted not at fans, but at market wonks.

Valve at any time could have come out, been forthcoming, and said "Geez, guys we really love that you appreciate what we're doing, and we value your support, and because of that we feel we owe you an explanation for why we made the decisions we did, decisions that we hope will lead to a better game in the end." The community would have understood. Instead, we got no explanation for what happened, why the radical shift in attitude and openess, and people quite rightly felt completely bait and switched into new hardware purchases via the ATI offer. Sure, it was stupid. But Valve worked to cultivate an image of caring about their community. And they squandered it, big time. And I can't even figure out what the point is. What did they have to lose by being open with the community about what was going on?

So that article seems to suggest that the code theft was indeed the reason why the it was delayed, at least that it was delayed this long; which is contrary to what Gabe has been saying.

EDIT: *excretes fecal matter*

ok so this'll be out before duke nukem forever 2? :thumbs:

I have a feeling Valve is going to have a really tough time beating last years E3 presentation. I mean really, that's a tough one to top.

Also, I can see Doug is setting us up for a letdown already by using the terminology he did. I say they will miss summer time, and release in the *Holiday Season*, for maximum profit.

Apos said:
I'm targetting... Claudia Schiffer. I'm totally sure she'll go out with me!

Seriously: why should we as fans trust them at this point? They've done nothing to earn that trust. This latest announcement was targeted not at fans, but at market wonks.

Valve at any time could have come out, been forthcoming, and said "Geez, guys we really love that you appreciate what we're doing, and we value your support, and because of that we feel we owe you an explanation for why we made the decisions we did, decisions that we hope will lead to a better game in the end." The community would have understood. Instead, we got no explanation for what happened, why the radical shift in attitude and openess, and people quite rightly felt completely bait and switched into new hardware purchases via the ATI offer. Sure, it was stupid. But Valve worked to cultivate an image of caring about their community. And they squandered it, big time. And I can't even figure out what the point is. What did they have to lose by being open with the community about what was going on?

Nothing more to add here, except: ^%#@$*& * !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:

Fork this, I'm buying painkiller in march, and feeding my cool game needs with that. If the misinformation camp pulls their heads out of the sand and starts singing, I'll buy HL2 :flame:

summer now? seriously Ive been keeping this back for so long and even bashed people for it but fudge valve! tired of this crap now

I hope thats the final release date.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You could also go to a horserace and hope the turtle wins.

-nevermind-

and btw why should they start selling a surefire hit game in summer?? why not tweak and finish for the holiday season? where there any awesome blockbustin games that came out in summer??

Has anyone noticed this info conflicts with the SDK thing the same Lombardi told Gamespot some time ago. Something like 'we will release the first version of SDK in the next couple of weeks', and they won't release an SDK with unfinished stuff in it. So I guess we can write off the SDK coming soon as well :|

(btw, sorry if this has been said before)

As Fragmaster/K-Dog made his Doug Lombardi spoof character say in the HL2 spoof video (Spoof Link) "..will be relased September 30, (cough)2004(cough)".

I wonder how Valve Corporation sees the ATI / HL2 coupon bundling deal vis a vis its customer base? It was very unfortunate the corporation to get hacked, unexpected and all, making for a costly PR problem.

By Summer 2004 I might just have gotten a life, and not be interested in HL2...fear that!

:LOL:

Who ever said that HL2 would be released the 30 september 2003. I've seen everywhere that it sould be the 30 september but nothing about the year.

So i feel much better about Valve, they never lied about the release date!!! We were only stupid enough to believe that it would be in 2003.

mhmeh, at least i have all summer to work and get a job. frankly i dont care when it comes out anymore, when it does, ill buy it, but there is no sense in getting pissed about something i cant change.

guess ill be playing ut2k4 for a good long couple months :) vive la Vehicular manslaughter!

Back