Possibly 3 more weeks till HL2 is finished

Mr-Fusion

Tank
Reaction score
So we've all probably read 63's (i used numbers...see) email from Gabe.

Gabe says
Right now we're targetting a July 30th release candidate.

They give the RC to Vivendi. Depending on how Vivendi's testing, or whatever the hell they do, it'll go gold shortly after.

That's only 3 more weeks of development. 6 years of work....only 3 more weeks.

That's pretty significant wouldn't you say fellow members of halflife2.net???!

Development? Hardly, they have probably finished everything, just tweaking and fixing bugs :)

But yes that rocks, hope to hear about doom3 along the same lines...This summer rocks so far :)

tornados...terrorists...elephants
i dont think so >:D

To everyone who isn't aware RC= release candidate. It's a version of the game Valve is happy with and think is ready for release.

One would ASSUME that Valves quality assurance measurement standards would be higher than a publishers. I could be wrong though. So going by that assumption the gold announcement could be 1-2 weeks after July 30th.

The last year+ of my life has been wasted waiting for this game, its good to see it wasn't in vain.

Mr-Fusion said:
That's pretty significant wouldn't you say fellow members of halflife2.net???!

Hmmm yeah but I still don't think I'll be playing the game in august.

well at least it looks promising for an early September release :)

Id be cool if they hauled ass and somehow released it before summer finishes.

Possibly 3 weeks...
Possibly 6 weeks...
Possibly 9 weeks...

Possibly anything. I'd like to agree, but I don't share your optimism.

Early September....great I will get to play the game for a few days then get to go back to school....and I will have to work...damn I will have no time for half-life 2!

Mr-Fusion said:
One would ASSUME that Valves quality assurance measurement standards would be higher than a publishers. I could be wrong though. So going by that assumption the gold announcement could be 1-2 weeks after July 30th.

One would assume.

I bet Vivendi will just install it on like 50 computers with the minimum requirements and then have people play it the whole way through looking for crashes or serious bugs. If there's a little thing, like a minor graphics or physics error, they'll tell Valve, but I seriously doubt they'll hold the release for it. They need the money HL2 will generate too badly.

So yeah, cross your fingers, if all goes well we could be playing in a month. :)

Soon, the long waiting will be over. I acctaully belive that it will "blow away all competition". The thought that I will play HL2 in some weeks freaks me out.

GorgeousOrifice said:
One would assume.

I bet Vivendi will just install it on like 50 computers with the minimum requirements and then have people play it the whole way through looking for crashes or serious bugs. If there's a little thing, like a minor graphics or physics error, they'll tell Valve, but I seriously doubt they'll hold the release for it. They need the money HL2 will generate too badly.

So yeah, cross your fingers, if all goes well we could be playing in a month. :)
Thats whats so good about steam, if the bug isn't bad enough to delay the game, they'll just update it through steam.

Fishlore said:
Possibly 3 weeks...
Possibly 6 weeks...
Possibly 9 weeks...

Possibly anything. I'd like to agree, but I don't share your optimism.
I don't even share my optimism. :smoking:

GorgeousOrifice said:
One would assume.

So yeah, cross your fingers, if all goes well we could be playing in a month.
Yes precisely. There is a time and place for business/profits and Valve/Vivendi are rapidly approaching it. If i said i didn't want Vivendi to rush it i'd be lying. Yes i'm aware rushing games can sometimes lead to shoddy products. But bare in mind this game has been in development for 6 years. By July 30th it would have had 3 months of testing/tweaking/improving. And that wonderful program known as steam is sitting there readying it's little ass to patch those bugs instantaneously.

To quote the elven archer from warcraft 2

Time is of the essence.

Hopefully, we will be playing the game in late August or September. I'm sure they have fixed most of the big bugs in the game and just tweaking the rest of it to see what works until they hand in the finial master to VU games. :borg:

Personally waiting a month feels like waiting a year for HL2... its summer, theres nothing to do... but yet they release it when school is going to start. Think of how many people are going to be left back because of this game. :(

GorgeousOrifice said:
One would assume.

I don't think VALVe wouldn't afford to give VU Games a buggy version of a game, right?

lol, check this out: http://www.ykt***/gallery/gals/csshots/12874.jpg

Don't forget that they have to finish beta testing CS:Source since it will be shipping with Half-Life 2

it seems so close, yet so far....honestly though, if that whole doom 3 August third fiasco is true, then D3 will probably hold me over, while i wait till late august/early september. man, i was looking forward to playing the game whilst i didn't have homework on my mind...

-edit- oh, and about delaying HL2 for CS:S. I sincerely hope they don't do this. i would much rather have HL2 and no CS:S and download the game 2 weeks later than have both HL2 and CS:S 2 weeks later...I kinda doubt valve would let something like CS hold back their baby for more than a week, but then again i'm not valve....or AM I?

If we all keephoping something may actually materialize, let's get a time and date set when everyone just sits and hopes together...... when your powers combine I am....... Half-Life 2

DAMNIT!!!!!!! it really makes me mad that there releasing it when schools going to start. ****!!!!!! it wouldve been soo much better if they released it during the summer since i have nothing to do all summer!!!!!!

I wouldn't get my hopes up personally.. but if you want to believe some random date that was just dropped in, then go ahead. Who knows, the release candidate stage could still be a month or two off from ship date.

As for CS:S, I remember them saying it will be available the same time has HL2. I don't remember anything about it shipping with HL2.

The game wont make an August release, and September is highly unlikely.

this game is gonna make me fail school i wont be able to concentrate cause ill be thikning about hl2 so much and itll be too tempting to pay when the computers right beside me.

iamaelephant said:
The game wont make an August release, and September is highly unlikely.

because he is a secret Valve spy, and it'll come out in july ;)

This makes me optimistic. Usually I'm skeptical, but I find this more comforting than a large press release for some reason. It shouldn't.
Does suck that my senior year in high school will be fighting for attention with hl2.

heh make school assignments out of hl2. "How many shots does it take to kill various enemies with various weapons, in various points of entry?"

Darkknighttt said:
this game is gonna make me fail school i wont be able to concentrate cause ill be thikning about hl2 so much and itll be too tempting to pay when the computers right beside me.

shut up ..........

my grades have sucked due to various pc games, but if i wasn't playing them, i'd have been watching TV or something, so... i dont think its made too much difference to my education.

Back