Possibly 3 more weeks till HL2 is finished

iamaelephant said:
Well it was confirmed that CS:S is shipping with Half Life 2. Considering CS:S is only going into beta stages soon (who really knows when), and also considering the stage CS:S was at recently when some dude got to play it, I am confident that my release estiamte is accurate and Valve is screwing us with a fake release date again.

The "state" it's in? It's missing 3 player models from each team, and possibly one or two weapons? Wow, horrible. Going to take AGES to finish up!

sHm0zY said:
I remember when they said this game would be releaced september 30th I didn't care back then because my computer was not good enough to run it on. And they delayed it. omg if that hapend now I would be so upset. I wonder how you guys felt when it was delayed last year.

Actually - I somewhat concur.

I too was a bit scared of me specs back in september 2003, HL2 looked like a monster that couldn't be tamed, reminds me the guy who said "will it run on my 486?" in the gamespy E3 2003 video. Then I upgraded and now look - almost everybody is ready and HL2 looks pretty tameable, I mean I'm sure many people have gotten the time to upgrade their computers over the time.

iamaelephant said:
I'm sticking by my November estimate, but if you're lucky you'll see it in October. I base that on absolutely nothing except Valve's appalling track record. Some of us have learned....

Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I know for sure I'm not.

Considering that everyone whose visited Valve has said that the game looks complete. Including 3 members from this forum and one or two other members from other forums. Not to mention one of the Valve employees (Might've been Gabe) said that they only need to fix some textures and a bug or two before they ship off the RC to Vivendi by the end of the month.

I'd say November sounds really optimistic :rolleyes:

I'd really doubt they'd screw up big time now, and waste the remainder of the month.

The only thing that can make HL2 late now is CS:S, but like Shuzer said, that doesn't look like its missing that much either.

The store says September 3rd. The same store told me it was coming any day now when I asked them September 25th 2003.

Ok in the months leading up to September 30th 2003

Were we
-Seeing lots of people visiting Valve playtesting the game? No.
-Were we seeing seeing the finished designs of boxart? No.
-Was Gabe and crew giving specific dates as to when it'd head to Vivendi? No.
-Were we ever actually told the game is playable end to end? No.

There were signs very early on that September 30th was not true. I agree it was very wrong of Valve to not announce the delay at least 2 months before hand but shit happened didn't it? Seeds of doubt started appearing early and the extremist fanboys attempted to quash it by blindly spouting September 30th basing their beliefs on absolutely nothing except faith.

Today i see a lot of hard evidence that suggests the game is bordering on complete. As opposed to last year when no-one had a damn clue what the status was.

Now just relax and have a watermelonhttp://www.cyborgcow.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/hitler_watermelon.gif

AJ Rimmer said:
The store says September 3rd. The same store told me it was coming any day now when I asked them September 25th 2003.

Conclusion: do not trust the store!

/edit
argh....i have totally screwed the threads, wrong thread, bad bad raptor :eek:

yea but then the game goes gold and it must be mass produced, that can take up to 2 weeks in not more.

and if it goes gold mid august then it could ship at the end of august or the start of september. Still in the timeline of Summer.

Looking at the dates given to us the amount of info we know regarding the game(s) completion, I think its highly unlikely Valve are gonna 'screw' us over the release date. Firstly, Valve aren't in it to piss us off but to make the best game they possibly can. Secondly, I'm extremely confident that by this time next month, we will know that HL2 has gone gold.

Why cant Valve say a REAL date when one is acctaully able to buy the game. Is is August, is it September? Who knows?

The_Monkey said:
Why cant Valve say a REAL date when one is acctaully able to buy the game. Is is August, is it September? Who knows?

becuase they have admitted they have "weak planning abilities" ... its better to give a vague date if your not 100% sure you're going to meet it.

The_Monkey said:

I think at this point Valve would be putting their foot in their ass if they actually gave a date. They haven't been too great with making dates the choose.

There would be SO many people saying it's wrong, they're liars, and just wait until it's delayed yet again etc etc. So, even with date...no one will believe them anyway. I'd bet money...if HL2 is ONE day over summer there will be people complaining how they lied yet again.

Valve can not win at this point when it comes to dates and should just shut up, give general time periods, and when it is officially gold (and not before) THEN they can start thinking about a real date.

Hey!? , I just watched a new Gamer.TV on Bravo and they said Valve are expecting a november release :eek:

*Clarky is confuseld*

Bravo, the definitive source for queer shows!
er, gaming shows.. I mean ;)

lol,, I wish they wouldnt confuse me like that,, im already confused, :)

Someone said:
There would be SO many people saying it's wrong, they're liars, and just wait until it's delayed yet again etc etc. So, even with date...no one will believe them anyway. I'd bet money...if HL2 is ONE day over summer there will be people complaining how they lied yet again.

Valve can not win at this point when it comes to dates and should just shut up, give general time periods, and when it is officially gold (and not before) THEN they can start thinking about a real date.

I agree. Infact, the only way Valve could reduce the critics is if suddenly released Half-life 2 at the end of the week. Even then, people would either complain that Valve lied saying the game wasn't so complete or that the game still had bugs or some crap. People are never satisfied yet they could never even get close to doing what Valve are doing for them. :dozey:

Well, in that last interview they said they were lookin at an augaust release, and you know what they could do...

If Cs:S beta is in late august, CZ, Cafe, and HL2 users could all participate..

Minerel said:
Well, in that last interview they said they were lookin at an augaust release, and you know what they could do...

If Cs:S beta is in late august, CZ, Cafe, and HL2 users could all participate..

CS:S will be included with HL2. The CS:S beta will be BEFORE HL2 comes out, as the main purpose of the beta is to test the engine.

I say valve should keep beta testing until they have a RC that they are confident and feel is worthy of going gold. I do not want some buggy product out of the box just to appease some people who can't find other games to play while they are waiting. I preordered in full last year for HL2 and I'm patiently awaiting its release. Actually releasing it a year late is a blessing for me since I graduate in the summer term of my college (August 2004) and I should have a little more time, even when I get a full time job, to play HL2 when it's ready to go gold and on the store shelves. Honestly though, I don't think we'll have to wait that much longer. IF valve is willing to let some people play the game, then they must be confident in that the game is in its very last stage of testing and we should be seeing this game soon. As in a month or two from now.

This really is getting out of hands. Box art reveiled but no indication of good ol HL2 MP? No word on bink videos, no word on a regular MP mode, everything is all about CS:S right now. Release date seems far fetched then they are making it out to be. I'm really thinking a October release than some of these other people thinking late August.... :( too doubtful.

Sorry if these are newbie questions but I'm a bit confused... why Vivendi has to test the RC version? I thought is just a distributor, all they have to do is receive the gold version and distribute it...

... so if VU find some bugs in the RC version they have to ask Valve to send another RC build, until the game is bugfree and the latest RC becomes the Gold version? really have VU expert game testers? Shouldn't be better if Valve tests their own release candidates?

VU has people that test games for them.
I'm sure VALVe tests the RCs, but it's like a double check.

Damn... a month is a long time to wait. Thankfully I got GTA:Vice City and Gran Turismo: A spec to pass my time.

We need someone to hack into Valve and steal the current version of the game!

Jens-k said:

Dear god no. We need nothing remotely like that.
/me slaps Jens-k with a Pepsi can.

Jens-k said:
I have already mentioned spanking someone until he's gonna have to walk sideways forever on this forum right?
Too bad.

Wow. My butterflies are multiplying.

It's almost as if I don't want it to come after all this time. All the banter on the various forums will vanish. I have enjoyed scouring the internet for the smallest bit of new info EVERYDAY.

lol

Pretty sure that it will come out on August the 24th... Maybe a week or so sooner.

At least that's my guess of it all.

Imagine how Valve feels. 5 years on a project and it all comes to an end in 2.5 weeks...

ray_MAN said:
Imagine how Valve feels. 5 years on a project and it all comes to an end in 2.5 weeks...

Then they go and get drunk in Mexico.

I don't think it will end in 2.5 weeks. July 30th is only the first RC. It could take weeks after that to actually go gold which is when they actually let their hair down. Even then, it won't be for long because I'm sure there will be supplementary work to be doing. Once the HL2 is on its feet, Valve can take a break before starting on expansions/HL3.

Back