Power Supply/Heatsink

Malfunction

Reaction score
I finally got my PC, and have had no PSU/heatsink problems, yet both are stock ones. PSU is an Orion 420w, and I have a 6800 GT, so I was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade. I know it would be better, but do you think I really have to? I've had no problems yet, and I'd rather not have to hook up a new PSU. Same goes for the heatsink. I'm running an average 24-30 degrees Celsius remote temperature.

Malfunction said:
I finally got my PC, and have had no PSU/heatsink problems, yet both are stock ones. PSU is an Orion 420w, and I have a 6800 GT, so I was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade. I know it would be better, but do you think I really have to? I've had no problems yet, and I'd rather not have to hook up a new PSU. Same goes for the heatsink. I'm running an average 24-30 degrees Celsius remote temperature.

You should upgrade yur power as FAST as you can cause i had a generic 420 watt and my 6800 NU was lagging and crashing
and i got a nice Antec 600 Watt SO MUCH POWER Grrrr...... :smoking:
well i sugest a nice 350 watt antec power suppy :thumbs:

You probably will be just fine. :)
What does the 12V rail on the PSU sticker say for Amps?

If any instability starts, I would check it out first and then act.

You should be just fine with that PSU. IF strange things starts to happen with the graphics, you might want to buy a better PSU though.

I have a similar question:

I just recieved my "Gainward Powerpack! Ultra/2400 6800 GT GS" (yes, long name :) ). It says the minimum requirement is a 350W PSU, and that's what I have. After reading this it doesn't seem to be powerful enough...what do you think?

As long as the GPU works the way it's supposed to, gives good fps etc, I wouldn't worry. But if it doesn't work they way you expected and not they way it's supposed to, I would probably think about getting a 450W-500W PSU. If you have a bit of money, go for real quality psu's.

Just upgrade if you start crashing while playing games and such.

ok thanks, I will.

/me prays

and btw, I only have a CD-RW and 2 harddrives that need power. That's not much right? Oh well, time will tell...

ailevation said:
:thumbs: Your fine. What about load temps?

Well, I'm getting these temps off of my tower's heat gauge, but yeah, I'm pretty sure I haven't gone anywhere over 30 Celsius, even under load, according to my heat gauge. So if the thing works correctly, hurray, if it doesn't, well, I don't care that much because I've had no problems.

Asus said:
You probably will be just fine. :)
What does the 12V rail on the PSU sticker say for Amps?

If any instability starts, I would check it out first and then act.

Yes it would be very good to know the 12v rail on the psu, my 430 watt power supply is good and it gets 17A+12V, so around that would be ok, check to see what it is.

the ultra-x is i vary(sp?) good PSU i have read about 10 reviews about it and the most they could say was wrong was just random stuff that no one really cares about.

its $100, 500w and SHINY!!!

Back