Processor Buying Guide

amneziac85

Reaction score
Ive been doing alot of reading, listening, testing, discussing and just all around research about future hardware thats soon to be released ("Soon to be released", meaning soon enough for your butt to maybe worry about if planning to make a purchase in the next few months).

Processor wise, I just want to put out there everything I've put together from my research.

The Athlon 64 FX-53 is pretty much the fastest processor chip out.The 939 socket is the future of AMD chips but at the same time, dont look at 939 as the end all be all just yet, I'll explain why later.

They run about $800 which is pretty expensive and at this point, unless your hosting 3 or more games on a server, its enough to hold you over for a couple years without any degrading game quality.

Personally I work hard enough and get enough hours to be able to afford the FX-53, but that doesn't make it my immidiate choice. Anyone whos ever spent money they worked for knows what its like to purhcase something exorbitant and feel like crap afterwards. Its happened a few times with me and wont happen again, so keep this always in mind, because with computers, its easy to get carried away.

If you want high-end with value, I say get the Athlon 64 3500 for $500. You get comporable speed for $300 cheaper. But if $500 is still too much, try the socket 754, Athlon 64 2800 for $180. 64 bit for $180? Cant beat that, I say thats a GREAT value if your on a budget.

Like I said earlier, AMD may be moving to 939, but being realistic, your buying your processor for the now, and as much as we say, "Ill get this motherboard and cpu, and then later, I'll only have to upgrade my cpu", how many of us ever really do it? Also, even if you did buy socket 939 today, by the time you upgrade again, your gonna need to change your mobo anyway to support the faster cpus', DDR2, PCI Express (PCI-E) and maybe even BTX. So just forget that. Your budget is the only thing you should think about.

Good post,

do you have any benchmarks scores compiled?

I thought about posting some up there, but until we see some nice 939 mobos, I didnt think it would be fair.

think a lot of people jump ship on existing platforms WAY too soon, unless they just have cash to burn, i personally do not upgrade until my mobo multipler / bus speed have been maxed out, then i buy what ever is current as a mobo/cpu pkg.. i also try to keep a consistant price point in mind "when it's time to make my move" so to speak.
this keeps me close to the top, but not too bleeding edge so as to lose my shirt.
to be honest most of us upgrade for some percieved performance increase, or just bragging rights for our sig line, but i try to maintain perspective .. how much is that extra 10-20 fps worth when you alreardy run above 60 or 90? do i really need 8x AA?
what do i do w my old stuff? a 939/FX combo IS in my future thats a given , but when is the question. my current systems runs farcry outside above 60-90 now anyway so how much faster is "faster" ? patience is tought when you have new HW drool running down your chin.. be strong..

Good information. I'm going to rebuild my old computer but I can't afford that processor, so I am going to get a Pentium 4 3.2GHz for around $415.

I figure if your a AMD guy it will make things a little bit more clear when it comes to buying without killing your wallet. 64 bit for 180 is good news to the average joe.

Back