Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional

oh god won't someone think of the children?
young boys will be sodomized on every street corner now!

lol

to clarify:

A federal appeals court has declared California's Proposition 8 unconstitutional, paving the way for a likely U.S. Supreme Court showdown on the voter-approved law, NBC News reported.

"Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples," said Judge Stephen Reinhardt in the majority opinion. "The Constitution simply does not allow for 'laws of this sort'."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46294255/ns/us_news-life/#.TzF0v-Q8f6V

so supporters of prop 8 (re: religious people) would have to take this to the supreme court and prove that gay marriage directly harms the rest of the nation. good luck with that

I just want to see one of their arguments in court

proponent - "but what will we tell our children?"

judge - "Are you ****ing kidding me, bitch?"

Gay marriage affects the sales of wedding invitations, therefore it affects interstate commerce, therefore gay marriage may be federally regulated as per the Interstate Commerce Clause.

If gay people are allowed to marry how will I continue to indoctrinate my children against their lifestyle there I summed up their actual concern.

It's not constitutional due to the first amendment of the constitution. If they want to change that, they must amend the US constitution and add a new line specifying that. They tried that before and it failed. That said- California doesn't have to be compelled to recognize those marriages, but they cannot BAN them.

Based on this if the SCOTUS supports this lower courts decision, then what are the consequences for other state and federal actions taken without explicit constitutional approval such as drug laws. They use the commerce clause to justify the DEA as anti smuggling, what about product produced IN a state and not exported to another US state. Based on that I'd say the feds have NO jurisdiction. Arizona has already ruled on that for gun laws stating any firearms produced within AZ and not exported should not be subject to ATF restrictions based on Constitutional law. All gunsmiths still comply because they're terrified of the ATF destroying their lives.

Back