Pulse rifle from film "Alien"

hERd

Reaction score
my.php

It was modeled for our mod called "Mercury Sky", but the model was canselled...

Looks good, but the butt doesnt look big enough, but since you're not using it, no sense in fixing it :eek:

"Looks good, but the butt doesnt look big enough, but since you're not using it, no sense in fixing it"
theres such a thing as a portfolio lol.

the model looks nice ..do you have any plans for it ? ie: skinning it putting it into cs etc?

Yea, the same as for my revolver, im planning to put this rifle in css. But at first I have to learn UVW-mapping =/

Looks, good... But the magazine looks too thin, and the bullets are too big, remember the thing is supposed to hold 95 bullets, the way that magazine looks it could only hold 10.

If you want you can find some pictures of the M1 Thompson sub-machinegun and Spas-12 shotgun to add more detail to the gun.

herd i checked the links in ur sig are kinda vague about the projects u think u cud pm me some details ?.

I like that model. It really good. Though like someone said before the butt of the gun does look a little small. I don't remember much from the "Aliens" movie, though i play some of the games(AVP). The gun looks a little to thin.

And the maximum capacity of the gun(in the movie)which I thought was 99. Might be wrong though.

It is a good model. No doubt. :thumbs:

Looks sweet to me, lots of detail missing (especially in the front) but a good skin will fix that. Even in the movie there is no way the mag holds 99 bullets, the bullets should just be smaller.

I would love to play against bots with this gun ;0)

Like I said, I don't remember much from the movie, I'd have to watch the "ALIENS" movie again.

You might wanna go here, just about every site relating to the ALIENS movie said it had 99 shots.
USMC Weapons

Edit:Also some sites said it had 95 other 99.

Just thought I'd jump in a mention that the ammunition the pulse rifle uses is caseless. Which accounts for the fact that the magazine holds so much.

M-41A Pulse Rifle
10mm explosive tip cassless standard light armour piercing round

o well, the ammo the Pulse Rifle carries really doesn't matter. So hERD, when can we expect the model?

phoenix the gun fires caseless ammunition, so its just the bullet projectile, which is very small. Thats how the mag looks on the "real" one.

No it's not just the projectile, and until they come up with magnetic rifles (like movie/game rail guns) it can't be, it still needs a way to carry the explosive with the projectile.

"Caseless" simply means that there isn't a case, but it doesn't mean that it's just the projectile. For example, the prototype HK G11 used "caseless" ammunition, but that doesn't mean it's ammunition were just the projectiles. It's ammunition was the projectile, wrapped completely inside a shell made entirely out of the explosive, when fired the explosive burned completely, leaving nothing behind.

I LOVED ALIEN 2, i've got my hands full of modding work so make a MOD of "aliens 2" plz ! ! do it for Sigourney Weaver ! and for those coool facehugers ! ! :D

The term "foxed" would automatically apply to any attempt at making an Aliens mod.

The m41a pulse rifle IS a rail gun... an automatic one at that. I thought that was kind of inferred by the bullets beign able to not only peirce alien chitin but blow them into little steamy chunks.

No, it isn't a rail gun. In the movie it has a normal muzzle flash, meaning it uses explosives to propel the projectiles (like modern guns). Rail guns would use obvious magnets along the barrel to propel it's projectiles, since they don't use any explosives as propellent, they wouldn't have any muzzle flash (which is the ignited gas from the explosive exiting the barrel). Plus, they never mention that it's a rail gun at all.

I thought that was kind of inferred by the bullets beign able to not only peirce alien chitin but blow them into little steamy chunks.
So, you only watch the action and ignore the dialog in movies?
It is stated in the movie that the M41A fires "10 millimeter explosive-tip caseless, standard light armor-piercing rounds"

Oh, and about the 99/95 ammo count...

http://www.arsnovum.com/html/M41-A.htm
when a switch on the magazine is turned on and the magazine is inserted into the rifle, the digital counter counts down from 99 (the theoretical maximum number of rounds the magazine could contain) to 95 (in Aliens lore, using only 95 rounds prevents rounds from jamming in the magazine) and then stops.
They used 95, they could use 99, if they wanted the magazine to jam...

Problems I can see:

- the barrel for the rifle is too large
- the carrying handle and the stock of the gun are too long - not the extendable part, the part between the grip and the extendable part. If you look at pictures from the movie, the rear angled part of the carrying handle that extends up from the body is partially over the grip, you have it back too far. You will probably need to move the angled bit forward and shorten the stock somewhat.
- The grip looks like it's angled 45-degrees down, it should be angled farther back, closer to 60-degrees
- It needs to have a cutout in the pump-handle so it dosent cover the hole for the grenade launcher.
- The bit that holds the magazine tapers inwards at the front and the angled bit that goes up toward the mian body only touches the main body at its tip, it dosent intersect it at all.

General stuff:

-The working pulse rifles for the movie were made out of Thompson SMG's and SPAS-12 parts. You can probably find diagrams of those much easier than the pulse rifle so if you want to get the look and proportions of your model spot on you could block out both of them roughly and build around that so everything ends up in the right place relative to everything else.

Looks Great.

1 Thing - not "Alien", not "Alien 2", it's "Aliens".

Do you also have the model needed for the first person view or is this it. Also, do you plan to do the reload animation?

Its for first person view. I doubt if I ever get it to be played in CSS, with me having no time and being lazy :p

I hate you man, you made me install AVP Gold (i didnt rember how bad the models were) msg if you want screenshot of gun.

Port your model into something, i want a play ;0)

Back