Pyro Update Details

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
So tomorrow is a big day for all Pyros around the world, the next major update for Team Fortress 2 will include new achievements and unlockable weapons for the pyro as well as some significant changes to the class. Now for the details:[br][br]

The Maps:[br]
CP_fastlane (created by Arttu "skdr" M?ki): A control point map with five points, in the style of Badlands. Its symmetrical layout provides for high-speed and well balanced gameplay, while the multiple indoor routes, connected to larger outdoor arenas, provide a wide set of interesting and varied combat spaces. The arena-style control points require solid teamwork to capture and hold.[br]<div align="center">
</div>
[br]

CTF_turbine (created by Bill Johnston): A CTF map inside a large industrial compound. It's clean and straightforward, making it easy to learn, but its well balanced layout ensures there are still a wide variety of strategic choices for teams to make, and for individual classes to shine. Competitive teams and players have already popularized this one.
[br]<div align="center">
</div>[br][br]

The Weapons:[br]

1. The Flare Gun: The first Pyro unlockable is The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It?s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.[br]

2. The Backburner: The second Pyro unlockable is The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it?s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.[br]

3. The Axtinguisher: The third Pyro unlockable is The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that?s currently on fire, although it?s significantly weaker against enemies who aren?t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting.[br]

In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, there is significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It?s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.[br]

To view the full list of the achievements and for more info about the new update, click here.[br]

I'm so hyped right now, too bad i have exams this weekend :(, can't wait to burn you online.

Took your time :p.

My personal opinions on the issue:

It sounds to me with the new ability of compression, most people will be sticking with the flamethrower over the backburner but use the other two unlocks, similarly to the medic ones. It'd be a finer line, though, as I do quite like the idea of a backburner. Extra crits are just awesome. But then the new compression thing sounds equally useful. Also necessary for some of the achievements.

I'm hoping there won't be extra crits in the Soldier unlocks.

I'm looking forward to playing Fastlane, although I would have preferred a new pl map. I'm not at all surprised at turbine being selected ;).

I liked turbine, and they only have one official ctf map, so I wouldn't be surprised if that were released.

As for the achievements, there are a couple of silly ones, which aren't unexpected like Makin' Bacon, BarbeQueQ and Got a Light? but they weren't unexpected. I don't think I'll be farming for any of these. Not anymore than I do usually.

God, I'm also bloody hyped. Fuck yeah!

Pyro confirmed for god tier, this is incredible. Those maps look pretty sexy as well.

I was pretty surprised when they contacted me about it last month, I told my friend that Valve had obtained Turbine and he goes "They own Lord of the Rings Online now?".

These Unlocks are pretty impressive, I wonder how bad that Backburner will be, makes me wonder what the rest of the classes are gonna end up with!

These Unlocks are pretty impressive, I wonder how bad that Backburner will be, makes me wonder what the rest of the classes are gonna end up with!

Just lots more pyros hiding behind things. Will be a lot more useful for defence. But then so will the compressed air. I think the compressed air will be a lot more useful for the team, though.

These achievements are awesome! Far less silly then the medic ones. :D

Still, some will require farming. Especialy the Rocket one. I can't even touch a soldier without getting killed. :(

Still, some will require farming. Especialy the Rocket one. I can't even touch a soldier without getting killed. :(

Maybe practice over farming ;)

Or just take your time like you're supposed to.

OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt.

Haha, I didn't even know this was possible? :D

KAAMEEEEHAAMEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Anyway, awesome update. But, 35 achievements? How does that work, 12 for flare gun, 12 for the backburner and 12 for the axetinguisher right?

This will re-ignite my playing of TF2. These are aweomse! :E

EDIT: Pun not intended. Made me giggle though.

The achievements aren't that hard - if they were retroactively rewarded, most people who regularly play Pyro would have over half of them already.

Of course, that means you still have to farm for them, since they don't reward shit back in time...

EDIT:

Firewall, Got A Light, Hotshot, and OMGWTFBBQ are the only ones that I can imagine not getting from regular play (my beef with firewall is that if you're a good Pyro, spies shouldn't be reaching the buildings anyway).

Compared to the Medic acheivements, none of them make you do anything really, really stupid (like ubering a Heavy, and having him go forth and punch things) while most of them encourage good team-play (like, stand on the point and set every single everyone capturing it on fire!).

It's good to see Valve have been listening!

Should be fun, interesting choice for the flame thrower alt-fire.
Sounds slightly over-powered but we'll see.

10 / 10 stars.

miles better than the midic update. 2moro 99.9% of all tf2 gamers will play as pyro LOL

Way better than the medic ones. In fact the contrast makes it obvious how bad of a miscalculation some of the medic ones were, so I'm tempted to just find an achievement server now and pretend they never even happened.

There's only a couple there that are more about luck than skill, time and good play, unlike the completely unreasonable medic list.

It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it?s used on an opponent from behind.

What does this mean? Shorter range? Less damage unless it's from behind?

Can't wait:cheese:

What does this mean? Shorter range? Less damage unless it's from behind?

The compression blast is a new right-click feature on the standard thrower that knocks people back and reflects projectiles.

Another thing that a console player wont be getting.

Why'd I buy this on 360 again?

I'll be waiting until the Pyro rush has passed, since it's the only class i play, and i don't want to be running around with loads of other Pyros.

I has new avatar :D
Copy cat :(

Also HAX at 70x70! :p

Also; OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt. How awesome is that? I assume they're giving damage to the hadouken taunt for that one.

Hahahahahahahaha.

BarbeQueQ: Cause a dominated player to leave the server.

^That is my favourite.

Also, what other upgrades are they doing to the Pyro? They said they were also implementing some fixes. This shall be a glorious day.

Oh and, if this is going by achievements again to unlock weapons, that means you have to unlock the flare gun to get a couple of these achievements.

Attention Getter: Ignite 100 enemies with the flare gun.
Hotshot: Kill a Soldier with a reflected critical rocket.
Hot Potato: Reflect 100 projectiles with your compressed air blast.

FYI, even without any of the unlocks the standard Pyro class will have the compression blast ability on their flamethrower after the update.

Great updated for the pyro, can't wait.

Everything looks good.

Although I think now the Pyro will be too powerful.

Not only are they giving him new (IMO, better) weapons - but they are also giving him an extremely useful new 'tool'.

Anyway, look forward to getting them :)

BarbeQueQ: Cause a dominated player to leave the server.

More games need to implement this kind of achievement. Without being big-headed, I'd have a few of these now, and to be honest, I have left servers because I've gotten annoyed. :LOL:

FYI, even without any of the unlocks the standard Pyro class will have the compression blast ability on their flamethrower after the update.

Great updated for the pyro, can't wait.

Oh. I didn't notice the word base in there. Hah! So is that the boost they were giving to the Pyro? Are they adjusting hitboxes or anything as well? I'd like to know ASAP! I can't wait till tomorrow!

The backburner is such an evil weapon. It's specifically designed with the pyro like me in mind, the guy who hides out in the little outcroppings of halls and doorways, waits for you and your team to pass, then lights up the lot of you. Guaranteed crits on that PLUS 50hp? As Pulse said, God tier.

Speaking of fighting game terms, compression sounds like a parry for pyros. Soldier rockets? Parried. Such hax. Not saying that in a bad way, mind you. I'm actually pretty stoked. If nothing else it means that pyros (pyroes?) will become more of a challenge for soldiers.

Bring it on, maggots.

Looks like I'm going to be playing a lot of TF2 this week.

I'll probably have the Flare Gun and possibly even the Backburner when this gets released if the achievements are retroactively awarded. :3
Oh god, that would be one of my wildest dreams come true. Unfortunately, I really doubt it because Valve probably didn't have a detector for killing taunting Spies, etc. This, of course, leaves me really disappointed because it's nice to have previous work recognized and rewarded =\

Also: is there a separate gimmick achievement for reaching the milestones (like with the Medics)?

**** YES!!!!

I have 215 hours as pyro! I should have most of these already! YAY!

I like this update more then the medics. Im not much of a medic player or a pyro player but this will surly make me play as him more often. Love the compressed air ability.

I'll have to try this out since pyro was always my favorite class. Achievements being required to unlock stuff still pisses me off, though.

The only way it'd be alright with me is if they were all based on time played, matches won, people killed, and damage done. All this other shit is just plain stupid. It wouldn't be stupid if they were there just for fun, but being required for unlocks is bullshit.

I think Valve has screwed this entirely up and made the pyro seem like some sort of Sith lord. He's got the force push now and as soon as you hit the wall, you got an axe in your face. Then you got the insta-kill axe. Not even the engies or snipers are safe with the flare gun. The achievements are incredibly silly to even attempt to get them. Light somebody on fire with your taunt, I mean you can't do that. The maps are the only good thing. *God I gotta rant more. They gave the ability to everybody as well with the air blast. Ubercharges are impossible, and I mean you can blast players clearly into the sky box or out of the map, or right into a turret. I mean wtf Valve?

Back